Join our zoo community

BeccaSunBear’s Czech Trip 2018

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by agnmeln, 28 Jan 2018.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

One presumes that your dancing career ended when it was revealed this was your true form:

[​IMG]

jayjds2 and Kakapo like this.
  2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You're not one of those people who traipse around zoos done up to the nines, wearing heels, are you? :) I didn't think there was any intersection between them and us nerds.

3. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How to pack for a 2 week holiday with hand luggage only - MoneySavingExpert.com Team Blog may help. I packed too much when I went round the world and I had problems carrying my stuff out of my flat never mind elsewhere. It meant that I was able to bring home very few souvenirs. Travel soap is useful as long as you have drying facilities; theoretically you could get away with a few changes of clothing. If you wanted to reduce the number of shoes you could go bear foot in the park (aka Sandie Shaw). To cut down weight, you could wear your heaviest clothes on the plane. I hope you have a nice trip.

4. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Haha, not quite! The reason my dancing career ended was because I fell completely out of love with it, it began to feel like a chore to me and it had just stopped making me happy. The politics became far too frustrating, wearing and tiresome, it’s really a pursuit for rich people and so was an enormous financial burden that I knew I would never reasonably be able to keep up with in comparison to most and which was essentially holding me back from so many other things in life, and so it seemed pointless continuing when I realised how negatively I felt about it all. And then, bears!

Last edited: 1 Apr 2018
  5. Dassie rat

Perhaps you could try bearlet dancing.

6. agnmeln

I don’t ever wear heels at all these days - since leaving the world of formal dinners, afterparties, awards ceremonies, shows and congresses behind with dancing, I don’t really tend to go anywhere that I really need to dress up for, and when I do go somewhere where it would probably be appropriate, I just don’t have the energy to make the effort, and so my days of wearing six inch heeled Christian Louboutin shoes are pretty much long gone. Which is probably quite a good thing, because I’m 5’9” without shoes anyway!

It depends what you mean by done up to the nines, I guess? Mostly I will wear jeans or casual trousers, a jumper or a tshirt and trainers, boots or casual shoes to the zoo, which I wouldn’t personally consider to be particularly dressy, but obviously I wouldn’t buy clothes that aren’t lovely or that don’t have something about them, so I would like to think that I always look nice and trendy and coordinated, never scruffy or rough or cobbled together.

I always have my hair, acrylic nails, eyelash extensions and tan done all the time anyway, and I have semi permanent makeup (eyebrow and eyeliner tattoos), lip fillers and Botox, so I roll out of bed ready to go every day of the week, regardless of whether I’m going to work, to the supermarket, to the zoo, to a restaurant or anywhere else. So it’s very minimal effort on my part, and certainly nothing different for a zoo day than for any other day of my life, but I would still like to think that I manage to look pretty presentable!

7. agnmeln

Thank you, I’ll read this! I’m really hoping that the weather forecast should allow for less jackets and jumpers and more tshirts, which will cut down on bulk, but it’s probably a bit too early to tell just yet. I’m definitely only going to take two pairs of shoes, one in my case and one to travel in. I guess I really need to practise my folding (or rolling, as the article suggests) !

8. agnmeln

If a bear asked me to dance, I would gladly accept.

9. Shorts

I mean looking like you've dressed (inappropriately) for a fashion show, dinner party, garden party or beach (I've seen all these at zoos).

Sounds minimal on the day but not with the background top-ups. :D
    Not that I profess any understanding of women's beauty regimes (ask my wife). :)

10. agnmeln

Oh, I definitely don’t fit into that category at all, then! I’m certainly not that dressy!

It’s definitely very minimal - just the odd hour here and there at my leisure to keep everything maintained, I’d say less than 6 hours per month on average to keep on top of it all, as opposed to the 3 hours per day that I used to spend sticking on strip lashes, perfecting eyeliner and all the rest when I was younger! Means that I get to enjoy sleeping in for a whole lot longer these days, thankfully! I need it!

11. Dassie rat

Is Simon Smith on Zoochat?

12. agnmeln

Alas, I don’t think his dancing bear is in a public collection.

13. Dassie rat

If it were, it must be the oldest captive dancing bear in the world. Alan Price never said which species it was, but the giant panda wasn't placed in the bear family at the time.

14. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Dancing. Bears. Music. *Cough*BritishSeaPower*cough*

Shorts likes this.
  15. Shorts

Yes, yes and yeas again!

(Pavlovian reaction to band I adore).:D

BeakerUK likes this.
  16. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

You won't want to hear about how I got the hundred quid Compleat Illustrated BSP (5 CDs, DVD, 2 vinyl records, book, prints, patch and beer mat) for £7.99 on Amazon due to the seller mis-pricing it...

17. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but vacuum packs are a godsend. I managed to pack for my Germany zoo trip and skiing (9 days total) without much fuss, shoving anything that could be compressed into the vacuum bag. The bags I've got have a small pump with them so you can use it on three move. If you don't want things too creased you can roll them before putting them in the bag which worked pretty well.

18. agnmeln

I haven’t used these before, and I am quite nervous about creases as I can’t guarantee that there will be an iron available in all of my hotels. I did a trial pack yesterday, and realised that there wasn’t a chance in Hell I was going to get away with packing everything that I had originally planned to take, so I’ve already had to make a few compromises! I think I should just about get all my clothes in, but it will be a squeeze, and whether I will get anything else in besides clothes remains to be seen!

19. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

Seven suitcases? ;)

20. Dassie rat

for seven brothers?

TeaLovingDave likes this.