Join our zoo community

Belfast Zoo Belfast Visit Updates

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Mr Saxon, 28 Mar 2010.

1. Mr Saxon

Mr Saxon Well-Known Member

Okay I've set this up to be similar to Zambars Monthly updates for Marwell. I'll update this thread with any news I get from the zoo. If thats alright that is.

Other people can feel free to post their visits aswell and if you have any questions then I'll write them down and see if I can find out for you;)

Okay here we go

28/3/2010

It was a splendid morning when we arrived at around quarter past 10. As we got in, me and my cousin called one of the zookeepers (MolochGibbon on this site) and he said we could go "behind the scenes" with a few animals, namely the primates. As we made our way up, we stopped to watch the flamingos, who were closer to the fence than I'd even seen. Also a few of the wallabies hopping about and a Pelican who wasn't that interested and decided to go to sleep. We then went passed the Moloch Gibbons, who were quite active, yet hadn't gone outside yet. It was just as we were passing the spectaled bear enclosure did I realise I had forgotten my SD card for my camera. And despite it being a good camera, I could only take 9 pictures on the internal memory. I literally kicked myself

Then we walked straight up towards the primate house. There we met MG and talked for a while about such things as the animals, the tour of 17 U.K zoos he and a few keepers did a few weeks ago and other stuff. Then we went outside to hand-feed the Colobus monkeys. They were just brilliant! So gentle and quiet compared to their neighbours. And they love grapes, I think I kept feeding the same 2 over and over again. Then we went back in to feed the Javan Langurs. They were a bit nervous so didn't eat much from me.

Then we went off up to see the tree roo, who was looking gorgous. Also feed the Lion-tailed Macaques while up there. The dominant male was a right brute to begin with, then he started chasing away the other Macaques who were eating the food we scattered. Then the sub-adult male started screaming at me. So we left, back down to the Primate house, where MG gave the the Langurs and Colobus monkeys their proper meal. We had a bit of trouble getting the Fancois' Langurs inside, as it was too nice a day. But finally they came in.

After that we gave the Emperor Tamrains some locusts to eat, which they accepted. They were magnificent little animals, so cute and friendly. Biting the heads of the locusts so they couldn't escape, then tossing away the wings then gobbling them down:D

Once that was done, me and my cousin went for the usual dander around the zoo, albeit a different route. Unfortunatly we didn't get to see the new Warty Pig, Malcolm, nor the giant anteater or Kabus.

Goings on around the zoo I noticed

• Sad to learn one of the spectaled bears had passed away, but didn't get any more info on that R.I.P
      The new giraffe platform is in construction, although not sure how far along it is.
      One of the White-nosed Coatis has been moved down to the old zoo to be held there as it has been fighting with the other coati
      I was taken aback to see a second two-toed sloth in the rainforest house as I was unaware that another had arrived. I assume its a male.
      We met up with MG near the end of our wander and he took us down to the old zoo to see the pair of smooth-coated otters. They are spectacular animals, twice the size I expected and very vocal. Sure to be a hit with visitors. They are going into the current short-clawed otter exhibit and the short-claws are moving to another zoo. Don't know which zoo though.

Well there ya go!!! :p

2. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Thanks for the review, good to see I'm an inpspirer lol. :) Glad to hear that you saw the smooth-coats, I'm guessing they're still offshow then?

3. Mr Saxon

Lol, yeah:)
    Oh yes, will be for a few more months, but they are really beautiful and so playful:p

4. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Have they an otter pool in the old zoo?

5. Mr Saxon

No they are being held in the old chimp enclosure which has a pool inside:)

6. Mr Saxon

22/5/2010

Arrived quite later than I would have preferred (0ne o'clock) on a really great day. I mean a seriously good day, weather was fantastic at one point it was 31 degrees. Brilliant. Anyway today I had my neice with me, only 5 and I was completly unsure if she could walk the length of the zoo, never mind at my manic pace.

Today was also full of my "1st moments". For example it was my first time seeing the male Giant Anteater, looking stunning...in fact...hold on I think it's actually my first time seeing a Giant anteater in the flesh...instead of on T.V. Cool...:D Stunning.
    Other "1st moments" include:
    • Seeing Kabus the Sumatran Tiger
      The new Titi Monkeys
      The Toco Toucans
      The Warty pigs
      And lesser Tenrecs

These were some of the most recent animals to arrive and I hadn't gotten to see them at all since they arrived at the zoo. Suddenly I see them all in one day!!!:D:eek:

Bird of Prey display was on today and I got some photos of the birds featured including a Barn Owl, Peregrine Falcon and Sparrowhawk.

New otters haven't been moved into their enclosure yet, as it's still getting improvements done to it such as some electric fencing.

Tenercs are being moved into the Rainforest house at some point but for now are in the newly furbished reptile house.

The giraffe observation platform is also making good progress. Not sure what stage it's at but it's definately progressed since my last visit.

Warty Pig exhibit is looking very good but the indoor viewing is not yet done and still in construction.

Big news......I can't remember if it has been bought or is going to be...probably going to be.
    Floral hall will be redone and become part of the zoo. A cafe will be made inside it as well as an education centre as well as places for meetings or such. The current cafe will be changed into classrooms for visiting classes from local schools.

Also the Tamerin enclosures near the Chimps and Underwater Penguin pool will be demolished and rebuilt, making the exhibits rectangle and making them taller, allowing the tamerins more room to jump about.

We left at about quarter to five, but not before stopping back at the farm and spotting the two new twin baby lemurs. So cute and I got a few photos of them. Mother even came and sat inches from me while one baby watched me with huge cute eyes. I've seen baby lemurs before but not this young before.:D

Fantastic day as you can tell and I'll upload photos from yesterday, particularly of the newer animals

Last edited: 23 May 2010
  7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just one error Kabus is a Sumatran Tiger not an Amur or Siberian

8. Mr Saxon

Oh yes thank you for pointing out my stupidity:D Thanks I'll change it

9. Fergie

Fergie Well-Known Member

Where are the red titi monkeys being housed Mr Saxon??

Also how is the new reptile house looking?

10. Mr Saxon

The Titis are currently being held in Tamerin area, beside the Pied Tamerins. However they will be moved later on up to opposite the Monkey house, in the enclosure that currently holds Emperor Tamerins.

And the Reptile house is looking nice. The exhibits are great and are all mixed exhibits I think. However I'd like the visitor area of it sppruced up a bit, like more info boards or decorate with some plants, maybe vines, not too low though, hanging from the ceiling, add to the atmosphere. But do like how it is currently :)

11. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Great review! what species of tenrec? How active are they ? are they going to go on the ground like the tortoises or are they going to have a tank like exhibit? have you any pictures of the reptile house? Great news Re: floral hall. looking forward to seeing that. I will have to get up to Belfast zoo at some point this year its been a long long time!

12. Mr Saxon

Thanks they are Lesser Madagascar hedgehog Tenrecs. I only saw one of them having a wee doze but I've only seen them once so can't really comment on their activity. I think they may just free roam around the rainforest house. The red-footed tortoises are actually not in the rainforest house, but in the reptile house. Not sure if they will be moved back though.

uhmmmm no. I have got some pictures of the animals inside like Bearded dragon and Veiled Chameleon but the place was chock a block full of people and it was kinda dark.

I know it's fantastic news! I always imagined it becoming a indoor house or something. But at least now it can become part of the zoo and become fantastic:D

13. Mr Saxon

30/07/2010

-Giraffe viewing platform has been completed and is looking good! Not sure how long it has been since my last visit but there you are! Shame none of the adults came over at the time!
    -Got a good look at Izzy the new baby zebra and hopefully some good shots of her aswell!
    -Meerkat babies were also running about their enclosure having a hell of a time. They got a bit too cocky when inspecting the Peacock but mum came to their aid
    - Sifaka were bouncing about and got to sit and watch them for a while without being disturbed.
    -Kabus, the Giant Anteater, Tapirs and Red Pandas were no shows but to be fair the weather was getting worse.
    -The Smooth-coated Otters (Smoothies as I've nicknamed them) were out dispite it pouring down and they are really fun to watch. They were nowhere to be found as I approched and just as I said "Where are they?" All I could hear was them barking and greeting me. Then they did a little performance in the water, peaking their heads out at me and swirling in the water. I risked my camera in the rain to get pictures of them but it was worth it.
    -Rainforest house was pretty full when I arrived due to rain so was unable to see much but I managed to dry off watching Jasmine dozing.
    -Gorillas were also great to watch that day as 2 of them disagreed with who should have the most comfortable spot then another picking its bum and eating it:eek:
    -Didn't get to see the new baby colobus unfortunatly as they were all outside, yet when I got round there they went in.
    -Did get to see the new baby Lion-tailed Macaque but unfortunatly no photos as mother ran off before I could take any.
    -One of the Spectacled Bears was hanging over the rocks beside the waterfall in the enclosure and just watching everyone pass.
    -Lions didn't bother to go inside during the rain and just lay outside under the tree and raised platform and watched everyone as well.
    -Haven't seen the Maned wolves in a while, have they changed exhibit or has something happened?
    -All 4 elderly female elephants were outside but they didn't go near their new mudwallow at the time.

Good day but dampened (sorry about the pun) by the rain!

14. Mr Saxon

19/08/2010

Orginally intending to be at the zoo at opening time, I was awoken too late and I got into the zoo at 10:50am. I was quite annoyed because it was starting to rain. (I noticed it started to rain in the exact same spot on the road on the way up to the zoo)

- Avenue walkway was up first and as the rain started to get heavier I was delighted to see all 3 of the Malayan tapirs out and active, one prancing around the exhibit. No sign of the anteater or the Bongo herd.

- I then took a detour from the recommended route, missing the whole lake walk and farm and went straight up to the Mixed paddock and elephants. As I made my way there it stopped raining and became sunny, with only a few clouds dotted about the sky that threatened the day with rain.

- The Warty pigs were out and active, the female seemed to be enjoying digging up one of the trees until the male moved in and decided to have a go at it aswell.

- 3 of the elephants were outside today but I have yet to see them in the mud wallow.

- The giraffes and zebra were both enjoying their breakfast but for the most part the ostriches seemed to be inside until the female wandered out. Izzy was standing on her own for a while under the browser for the giraffes until she moved back to her mother.

- Meerkat group were also enjoying the sun and got to see them getting their breakfast as well, little mice which they enjoyed greatly.

- Monkey walk was next and no sign of the titi monkeys however there's a pair of helmeted curassow in with the Emperor tamarins. I love Crowned Sifakas! Their movements are graceful and fun to watch not to mention their beautiful coat and wide eyes!:D Did get to see the new Colobus monkey who is looking gorgous and starting to get his colour

- Chimps were all outside today, a few posing for the cameras, annoyingly I was standing beside somebody who encouraged their little girl to throw a banana.

- Went straight up past the Red pandas, lions and wild dogs to see if Kabus was out. Which he was and I spent half an hour watching him trying to get some good photo (would have gotten a fantastic one if he hadn't closed his eyes at that exact moment:rolleyes:

- Only saw two Red river hogs, not sure where the other two (the offspring I think) were.

- One white nosed coati was out exploring got good photos of him too.

- Gorillas were all out too and managed to catch them being scatter fed. One threw a bit of apple at the crowd:)

- Otters weren't in the water when I watched them, mostly up on the grassy area between their house and the water.

- Speant a good amount of time walking round the bird park as well and noticed quite a few of the cockatoo enclosures were empty.

- Rainforest house was quite full so I had to come back a few times to try and see everything. No Fulvous whistling ducks for some reason

- Maned wolves were out in the exhibit between the lions and their old exhibit, I think they can go between both if they please.

- Found the whistling ducks in the walk-through aivary, not sure why they are there. The old sign has been removed and the zoo's new signs have been put in.

- Then went on down to the farm and only saw the mother pig. But none of the piglets were there. A sign said that the pigs were having samples taken so I'm guessing thats where they were.

- Didn't have time to go into the reptile house as my phone wasn't working so me and my mum agreed for her to pick me up at 3:00pm.

- Also learnt about some new arrivals in the not-so-distant future and departures as well as other developments but not sure if I can tell you them so I won't say what exactly.;)

Speant 5 hours 10mins in the zoo and picture count was 300 exactly.:cool:

15. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks Matt, its best to keep arrivals secret for now until officially released! Not sure which you were told about though! All of the cockatoo avairies have birds in them so next time take a peek back later as they are usually very active! The piglets have been re-homed.

16. Mr Saxon

I'll send you a PM about what I was told.

I guess I'll have to have a harder look but I'm sure I didn't see any in the first few, near the start and end of the Bird Park.
    And can to tell us where the piglets have gone? They were a great bunch!:D

17. Tarkin

Tarkin Member

Ref. The Elephants between 10am and 13.00pm are being put through a wash and a training program. So next pop in to the house and you will see one being put through her paces. We always have the building open when we are training. We feel it is good for the public to see us using target training on our girls.

18. Mr Saxon

Is this everyday then? Can't wait to see it :p

19. Tarkin

Tarkin Member

Operational commitments permitting we do the elephant wash and training routeen every day.
    And depending on the weather and if the girls want to they are given accssess to the mud bath every afternoon.

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some good news!

Belfast finally took delivery of 1:2 Rothschild Giraffe last week. The male is a three year old called Finn who traveled from his birth place at Fota WP. Also joining him is two year old Daisy from Givskud, Denmark and completing the trio is a handreared female called Sandsteen from Dublin. The herd now numbers 1:2 Rothschild and 0:6 Hybrids.
    Belfast Zoo. News and events. Latest news.