Join our zoo community

Belfast Zoo Belfast Zoo News 2010

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 3 Jan 2010.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As you can probably tell by my last few posts i am having a look through ISIS, and now noted that Belfast are showing 2.2 black footed cat only with the 0.0.4 being shown too, does this mean none of the kittens have survived?

2. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nope, they are all alive, 1.1 are 9 weeks old and 0.2 are about five weeks and doing well! 0.2 born earlier in the year are now at (0.1)RSCC AND (0.1)WUPPERTAL respectively! Roll on 2010 breeding season!

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thank you Al, a great result for the zoo.

4. Fergie

Fergie Well-Known Member

5. Mr Saxon

Mr Saxon Well-Known Member

Any recent news from the zoo guys?

I know of the 3 (very cute) baby Meerkats being born. Thats 5 I believe born within a year? Or even born within 6 months? Good news!:D

Wanting to head up at half term (within 2 weeks) to test out my new camera. Old one turned itself off everytime it was switched on (because it didn't have any photos on it. *facepalm*

6. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Belfast Zoo has been very busy over the past few weeks completing ‘home improvements’ to a number of enclosures and animal houses.

New climbing frames have been set up for the spider monkeys to play on. These monkeys are often considered the acrobats of the zoo, because as well as long arms, they have special tails which they use to hold onto and swing between branches.

These were built by zoo staff with help from Friends of the Zoo volunteers.
    The Andean bears also have brand new climbing frames and platforms in their enclosure. With the new platforms, visitors can now get a closer view of the bears, as they are level with the upper viewing area when they laze around on them.

Zoo manager Mark Challis is enthusiastic about these renovations.

“We are delighted to have been able to provide the spider monkeys and Andean bears with new frames and platforms," he said.

"These structures are important in the welfare of the animals, promoting exercise and natural behaviours. We like to make sure our animals have more than just the necessities. I am sure visitors will love watching the spider monkeys play around and seeing the bears a lot closer.”

And the improvements don’t stop there! Later on in the year, Belfast Zoo is looking forward to re-opening its Reptile House with renovated enclosures and introducing a giraffe viewer over the giraffe paddock.

You can adopt a spider monkey or Andean bear to help contribute towards their care

7. easytigger

easytigger Well-Known Member

There are a number of comings and goings happening at Belfast in the next couple of weeks which will be reported on as and when they happen, but in the mean time The zoo recieved it first visayan warty pig on Sunday 'Malcolm' arrived from Chester on Sunday and will be paired with a female from Rotterdam in the not to distant future.
    A new female red kangaroo also arrived from Banham zoo on Sunday evening.

8. Fergie

Fergie Well-Known Member

Easytigger, I was just wondering if the smooth-coated otters were part of the exchange with the safari park in China, which involved Belfast sending 3 sea lions over to China. If not, could you tell us what species Belfast will receive? Cheers

9. easytigger

I don't believe the otters are part of the exchange but not 100% sure so can't comment further.
    As for the species, I can't tell you as I honestly do not know and it would be unfair and unproffessional to speculate on such things
    Sorry I can't be of any use on this, I'm sure all will be revealed sooner or later ;)

10. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

Where are the warty pigs being kept? :confused:

11. easytigger

They (once the female arrives) are in what used to be the camel enclosure opposite the elephants on whats known as 'the loop', the enclosure has had a facelift, landscaping, new fence, a viewing window to the indoor area, still a bit of tweaking to do but its looking good :)

12. moloch gibbon

moloch gibbon Active Member

Hi, Fergie, the Smooth-coated Otters were not part of any exchange agreement (they didn't originate from China). Belfast did, however, recieve a male Francois's Langur from China with females hopefully to follow in the future. These will be distributed to some other ESB participants with the species to increase the number of founders in the studbook as well as increase genetic diversity in its small population.

13. Fergie

Fergie Well-Known Member

Cheers Moloch gibbon.

14. Mr Saxon

Mr Saxon Well-Known Member

oh.........Warty pigs! What an unexpected and delightful species!:p Are they actually on show yet?
    And the new tree kangaroo aswell! Great news!
    :p

15. Al

The three sealions were exchanged for three female francois which have been split or will be split between london at twycross! Last time i heard they were all still at london but this may have changed.

As easy tigger has said there are afew major moves and also three new species that have already arrived ( golden lion tamarin,wattled jacana and sunbittern) and a few more new species that will arrive later in the year (hammerkop etc etc) and others that we are excited about! :)

16. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

Just a quick question, are the zoo planning on keeping the juvenile 'Barbary' lion male cub or is he due to move on. Any plans to breed the parents again?

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When is the female Sumatran Tiger due to arrive?

Am I right in thinking that she is Kina born 2007 at Fuengirola Zoo in Spain?

18. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Are all the planned arrivals of the avian variety? anything interesting in the new reptile house?

19. Al

No there is a least one more mammal species! We have a few new reptiles planned but they will be added at a later date, all being well it will be re-opened in a week or so just before easter!:)

20. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

Have the rockhopper penguins all left?