Join our zoo community

Belfast Zoo Belfast

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Chris79, 2 Oct 2007.

1. Chris79

Chris79 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There was no thread for Belfast Zoo news....until now!

Belfast is unusual for a UK zoo in that it is still operated by the local council. They had a particularly successful year last year with over 250,000 visitors and won the Northern Ireland Visitor Attraction of the Year 2007.

What prompted me to start this thread is the news that they've just had their FOURTH baby bongo of the summer! The group now numbers 11.

They have had over 125 babies this year including a Barbary lion cub, 3 giraffes and a Moloch gibbon. The Moloch gibbons are the rarest species and only arrived at the zoo in 2006.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

... but NO Gorilla babies in the last ten years. Very mysterious. :confused:

3. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you know if it's correct that at the moment they only hold 1.0 Sifaka? 2 males arrived last year but if i'm correct one of them moved quite rapidly again...

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2 did arrive but one of the males died

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I was told by the keepers it was moved to Alpenhaul because they used to beat the crap out of each other,any way the Male they have at the moment will move on the move when the pair and youngster arrive from Paris,I believe he is going to Cotswold.

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

you are right i have just checked, so belfast are getting a pair and cotswold for their new madagascar exhibit

7. zoogiraffe

Yes they are getting a pair the one going to Cotswold is as daft as a brush have been in with him twice at Belfast!!!!!!!

8. zoogiraffe

To me Belfast is the most under rated zoo in the U.K it has a habit of bring in unusal animals and doing well with them.

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, they have a lot in interesting animals there. Being on the other side of the Irish Sea means they aren't so accessible to Zoofans though. I've only been once, back in the days when it was just a small '2nd rate' zoo, before its expansion phase. I would like to visit again now..

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I suppose Vincennes Zoo is testing the ground a bit here and there? Apenheul and Belfast are both top unusual primate keeping zoos. It surely is nice to know that Belfast will get a pair.

I was fortunate enough to see them in the wild (Perinet and Mandakia) and my oh my ... what are sifakas ... too top dollar :cool:!

11. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

Belfast really is a top zoo which is sadly under-rated though maybe the odd slight imrovent here and there woudnt go a miss. Nothing major though

12. Chris79

Chris79 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anyone know if they are working on any new exhibits? Hopefully with their current boom in visitor numbers they are generating funds to put back into zoo development and/or in-situ conservation projects. I also wondered if being in Northern Ireland they would find it easier to qualify for regional development funding (as Twycross have just successfully done).

13. zoogiraffe

When i was their in July they were working on a new enclosure for White-nosed Coati which were being held off-show in the old zoo,and the re-furb of the old tropical bird house into a south american mixed exhibit and the complete re-build of the bird garden.

14. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I liked it. Lots of room for the animals, they all seemed happy. Although I was annoyed because they'd just got rid of the polar bears when I went :-( Does anyone know when they left the zoo?

15. ZooMania

The Polar Bears have benn gone for a few years havent they??

16. zoogiraffe

Polar bear left pre 2000 so have been gone for some time,if you ever get the chance the old old Polar Bear enclosure is still their in the old zoo its a real eye opener.

17. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can anyone tell me more about the Francois Langurs in Belfast? How many animals do they have? Are they still breeding?

Thanks!

18. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Where in the zoo? I saw the one with the spectacled bears in. Really big. Shame they left.

19. ZooMania

Arent the Spectacled Bears in the old Polar Bear enclosure.

20. Hadley

Hadley Well-Known Member

I;ve never been to Belfast, does anyone know why they have an 'old' zoo, I don't get why the enclosures aren't refurbished. It seems odd for a major zoo to sit on land that could hold many more exhibits. I'm sure there's a reason, but I find it interesting that there's this entire other zoo just laying (mostly) empty of animals.