Join our zoo community

Belgium zoo trip

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Ned, 14 Apr 2014.

1. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I recently booked a ticket to Belgium and I'm intending to visit three zoos while there. Just thought I'd ask for any advice or helpful tips, in particular, is there a combined entrance / train ticket for Pairi Daiza? The zoo website says there is but the rail website doesn't mention it.
    My slightly insane schedule is thus:
    Day one: bus leaves 15:30
    Day two, bus arrives Antwerp 06:25. I have 3.5 hours until zoo opens, any suggestions for what to do / where to have breakfast? Also am i right to believe the in Belgium films are shown in original language? I may go and see a film in the evening. What are the lively areas for bars in the evening?
    Day three, pairi daiza
    Day four, Plankendael. Bus leaves Antwerp 23:45 so again any suggestions for evening activities.
    Day five, arrive home 13:10. Collapse.
    Suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It's almost four years ago since I was last in Belgium; it was certainly possible then to purchase a combined rail / entrance ticket from Brussels to Pairi Daiza (Parc Paradisio as it was then known).

Similarly it was also possible to purchase a combined rail / entrance ticket from Brussels to Plankendael.

It is well worth getting such a combined ticket as it results in a considerable cost reduction.

Although I always visit Antwerp Zoo when in Belgium I normally stay in Brussels so I really cannot help much with things to do in Antwerp during the evening.

With your busy schedule it appears you'll not have much spare time but, if time permits, the Zoology Museum in Brussels is thoroughly recommended too.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2014
  3. Ned

Thanks Tim, it seems possible to by a combined ticket for Plankendael on the Internet but not Pairi Daiza, however I'll check at the station in Antwerp. I think Brussels would be a bit optimistic this time but it's worth knowing about the zoology museum for another trip. I really must visit more zoology / natural history museums abroad, I get the impression they're much better than the one in South Ken.

4. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On the English website the combination ticket of train with Pairi Daizi is indeed not offered. On the Dutch version of the website it still is. Just go to the ticket-offices and ask for a B-day trip Pairi Daiza and they will sell you one. It indeed will save you a lot of money.

Movies are indeed shown in the original language (and subtitled in Dutch and French) so going to the movie could be a nice option. The biggest cinema is out of the center (on the edge of the harbour area) but there are smaller ones in the center including one actually quite close to the zoo. For bars there are quite some nice bars around the cathedral-groenplaats-grote markt area. The center is compact and quite nice so it will be easy to enjoy yourself there.

I wouldn't try to the Natural history museum in Brussels. Although I go there several times a year it will be too complicated to get to with your tight schedule. With your early arrival time I would even consider going to Planckendael or Pairi Daiza the first day. Trains to both go already from that time and you can easily reach either of them at opening hours. This way you do not waste a morning. If you move Antwerp Zoo to the last day you not only have a free evening but afternoon as well which gives your more possibilities for doing an additional activity. Antwerp Zoo is also very easy to combine with Aquatopia, so if you like aquaria I would consider going there as well.

5. Ned

Thanks for the reply DDcorvus, that's very helpful. I was just wondering how reliable Belgian trains are? Some of the conectons I have to make are only seven minutes apart, I'm I likely to make them?

6. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The trains are quite ok and reliable, although during rush-hours some trains can be packed, although the ones you need are ok. For changing in Mechelen take the train to Muizen I never missed it and it is quite ok. And the same for the one in Jurbeke to Pairi Daiza. Although there are some works going on, on the tracks to Pairi Daiza until 21st of April so if you go within a week I would take more time for that, but in normal conditions you should make it.

7. Ned

Thanks again, I'm not going until May so should be okay for the track works. I'm very much looking forward to going.

8. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Breakfast at Antwerp railway station (which is very next to the zoo) shouldn't be a problem and you can find a english newspapers as well.
    Lively Antwerp areas are the next to the station and the old town around the cathedral.
    There's a large movie theatre close to the station; No movies are dubbed in this part of Belgium.

9. Ned

Thanks, I think breakfast will be first on my list. I'd like to see something of the old town while in Antwerp. Is it true that it can be unsafe in the area around the station at night?