Join our zoo community

Belo Horizonte Zoo Belo Horizonte zoo news

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by David Matos Mendes, 2 Dec 2020.

1. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Accordig to official information, the institution plans to bring back giraffes untill the end of the year, being a female that belongs to them, but lives at Zooparque Itatiba, and a male individual from Zoo São Paulo.

The ape collection will also get bigger: Chimpanzees are not gonna be phased out as I previously thought. The zoo plans to acquire more, and one female individual is already confirmed to arrive, also from Zoo São Paulo, to be with male Serafim, who is nowadays alone after elderly "Doroteia" passed away a few months ago.

Talking about native brazilian species, the buffy tufted marmoset is already here! @Onychorhynchus coronatus, a male individual has already arrived at the zoo, and is on the offshow area for quarantine period, and also to wait for a female that is about to arrive. I tend to think they will be held in the brazilian small primate area, probably replacing the gabon talapoins.

arafan, Kifaru Bwana, Zorro and 2 others like this.
  2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Very glad he arrived safely :D

3. David Matos Mendes

I was sure you already knew it!:D:D:D
    Hope he gets held in one of the nice sxhibits in the primate row, like this one: DSCN4862.JPG

Zorro likes this.
  4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

That enclosure would be great to house him in eventually I agree but I think he will be kept behind the scenes for a little while yet.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  5. David Matos Mendes

Yes, sure. I don't think he'll be living the backstage before the female arrives, and when she's here, there will be still the quarantine period...

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

It is quite a tentative process to introduce pairs together so they will be kept separately but within sight of eachother initially before being introduced to one another.

We are all hoping that they will end up breeding, that would be a fantastic development.

7. David Matos Mendes

That's great! For what I know, the offshow area the male is being kept in is quite nice. Inside fragments of atlantic forest.

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

That is excellent and I bet he will settle in soon enough, hopefully this is the founder of a future breeding pair and group of buffy tufted marmosets in BH zoo.

I think it is quite a significant / symbolic arrival too as Callithrix aurita is native to Minas Gerais state and so it is great to have them represented in the zoo and for people to see and learn about.

9. David Matos Mendes

Yes, it surely is, and it's also the first marmoset species at BH zoo.

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I think it is really great because it means having an ambassador of the species in the zoo.

Visitors can see and learn about the buffy tufted marmoset which they are unlikely to ever see in the wild, to learn about its plight and hopefully to support efforts to conserve this primate.

11. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It should not be to hard to get Hippos if the zoo wanted them as they are almost native to South America now. lol. :D

12. David Matos Mendes

Yeah, you're right :D. The zoo already has a genetically viable hippo group though (although they will need to exchange males with some institution in a near future...) But if it needed, we should just get a flight to Colombia now and capture some lol:D:p

13. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would love to see a documentary of something like this happen I am sure it would be a best seller :D:cool:

14. David Matos Mendes

Belo Horizonte zoo verified that wild three-toed sloths that live in the zoo's grounds have been breeding. The first baby was spotted this week by the zoo's director: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRmLEH0ihc2/

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

That's great !

Sounds like they have a monitoring program just like SP

16. David Matos Mendes

Yes, they do. I honestly never knew there were sloths living in the zoo's grounds. The place is around 300 acres large, so I never saw any. I have seen squirrels, marmosets, wood rails, guans, tegus, ringed kingfishers, Crested and yellow-headed caracaras... But never sloths. Great news that they are around.

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are usually in the upper canopy, so you have to look fairly carefully to even observe any.

18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Well contrary to popular opinion sloths can sometimes be very hard to see.

For example in the Trianon park here in SP in the very centre of the city which is a relatively small area there are three sloths but they are seldom seen by anyone.

19. David Matos Mendes

Really? At Trianon? This is one of the last parks in SP that I would imagine sloths would be living in. Afaik, the region it is located in pretty much marginalized lately, isn't it?

20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes definitely there are three sloths there and lots of birdlife too.

It suprised me when I was told about the sloths because I just would have never have imagined it either.

That said it was historically very biodiverse and believe it or not there were black lion tamarins recorded in parks and green areas of Avenida Paulista a little more than a century ago.

When you say marginalized do you mean because it is a bit of a rough area after dark ?