Join our zoo community

Berlin

Discussion in 'Germany' started by DDcorvus, 23 Oct 2008.

1. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hey everyone I ll be in Berlin this weekend I ll have room to visit one zoo. Which one do you recommend. I wish I could do both but unfortunately it will be impossible :(

2. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I haven't seen either, but i bet everyone will recommend the Zoo and not the Tierpark. Depends on what you want though, but what i understand.

The Zoo has the Aquarium attached
    The Zoo has more history
    The Zoo has an equally impressive animal list
    The Zoo is smaller
    The Zoo has Bao Bao (and yes, i know everyone says giant pandas are boring, but i also bet everyone that says that took the effort to go and see one).

The tierpark focuses on rare hoofstock
    The tierpark is HUGE and you'll struggle to see it in one day

Wait for the experts, but i bet everyone is gonna say the Zoo

3. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If the weather is bad, go for the Zoo. Also if you`re short in time, go for the Zoo. It`s smaller and easier and faster to reach then the Tierpark and the Zoo has many big animal houses in which you can easily spend hours. The Tierpark also has a number of big houses, but there is a lot of walking between them!

The Zoo has all great ape species (gorillas, chimps, bonobos, orang utans), no great apes in the Tierpark. But a number of monekys. If you`re interested in elephants, the Tierpark is better, with a breeding herd of each species. The Tierpark also has a breeding herd of indian rhinos and manatees in the big elephant house, while the Zoo has black rhinos (inkl. a recent calf) and hippos in a very spectacular house. Both zoos have many ungulate and deer species and a big number of big cats, although the Tierpark is slightly better with 3 leopard subspecies (amur, south chinese, javan + black leopards of mixed origins) and 3 tiger subspecies (amur, sumatran, malayan) and serveral jaguars.

Any more questions?!

4. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What about Birds

5. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are delicious in both zoo's!

(sorry couldn't help it)

6. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I have been to the Zoo but not to the Tierpark. The Zoo is a pretty typical European inner city zoo. Lots of interesting architecture but also lots of totally outdated exibits. Best thing is the hippo exhibit, which I am sure you know about. It is very good, a bit like the new hippo exhibit in Copenhagen, but with a much bigger outdoor space for the animals than the one in Copenhagen.

7. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

Of the 2, I would say visit the Zoo. It's easier to get to than the Tierpark, being right in the centre of Berlin. Aim to spend the full day there, otherwise you'll be rushing around trying to see everything. The hippo house is a must, but also the area round the Bird House is fantastic if you are into birds. Kagu, Ocellated Turkeys, Andean and James Flamingos, Pied Hornbills, Great Curassows, Channel-billed Cuckoos, Kiwis (although we didn't manage to see them). The bird of prey collection at the Zoo is also very impressive. Although, having said that, the Tierpark does have a pair of Harpy Eagles.... Whichever you choose, you'll have a great day, guaranteed.

Just noticed the date of these posts, you'll be in berlin as I'm typing this, so just enjoy yourself!