Join our zoo community

Best bird exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Simon Hampel, 27 Oct 2003.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

My vote for best bird feature worldwide would have to be the whole of Jurong Bird Park in Singapore - well worth the trip if you are in the area. I especially liked the birds of prey show - very impressive.

The Maccaw exhibit at the entrance to Jurong Bird park was excellent too - dozens of lively and very beautiful Maccaws up close.

What about in Australia ?

I like the Free Flight Bird Show at Taronga Zoo - the amphitheatre is quite spectacular, on the cliff top overlooking Sydney Harbour with the Harbour Bridge and Opera House as a backdrop.

The Birds of Prey Flight presentations at Healesville Sanctuary were really good - you get a fantastic look at these awesome creatures.

What is your favourite zoo bird feature ?

2. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Sim in regards to Jurong Bird park -- even if you have limited liking of birds , its still worth a few hours . A full day would be the minimum for zoo fans . They even display penguins ( it is always hot and humid there )
    The Hamilton zoo has the largest walk through aviary in Southern Hemisphere -- it is easy to forget that you are inside a birdcage when it is so large !
    Currimbin has great bird displays with raptors , and parrot feeding with swarms of parrots late in the afternoon .
    But the best bird display I know of is not in a zoo , it is up above the snowline in the Southern Alps in NZ ! Thats where the kea lives . NZs native mountain parrot . An oversized sharp beak , incredible strength , and a huge curiosity ( they are not afraid of you ! )can provide you with an entertaining few hours as these parrots set about breaking into locked cars or demolishing bicycles ( unless it is your things that they are destructing )
    Not bad for a parrot dressed in army camouflage , no bigger than a sulphur crested cockatoo ?

3. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

always wanted wanted to go to jurong bird park.

i really like the "asian rice paddy" aviary at melbourne zoo. i love the way they have created a simulation of an asian rice field complete with terraced paddies of real rice and cascading water.

agreed the bird show a taronga is great fun and the backdrop is amazing. the healesville raptor show is possibly even better - though it focus' only on australian birds of prey, they provide a much better demonstration of their physical abilities, catching mice mid-air etc...