Join our zoo community

Best Cat Exhibit in USA

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Arizona Docent, 29 May 2017.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Being a cat fanatic, I will list what I believe to be the single best exhibit in the USA for each species of cat held in the USA. Facilities with a question mark in front indicate those I have not seen personally. Listings in parenthesis indicate cats with public displays (perhaps only two or three) for which none are really good or cats which I think are in private hands but not on public display.

If you disagree, please feel free to list your alternative. However, please list only one for each species. If you like two or three, please do not list them all and the reasons for each, just pick one! Also if you know of a species held in the USA (public or private) that I forgot, please add it.

2. Arizona Docent

Tiger - San Diego Safari Park

Lion - San Diego Safari Park

Jaguar - ?Woodland Park Zoo

Leopard - ?Minnesota Zoo

Cheetah - Phoenix Zoo

Snow Leopard - Bronx Zoo

Puma - Arizona Sonora Desert Museum

Clouded Leopard - Nashville Zoo

Serval - Out Of Africa

Caracal - ?Oregon Zoo

Canada Lynx - Northwest Trek

Bobcat - Northwest Trek

Eurasian Lynx - (no good exhibits?)

Sand Cat - (no good exhibits?)

Pallas' Cat - ?Hogle Zoo

Wildcat - (no good exhibits?)

Jaguarundi - (no good exhibits?)

Margay - (no good exhibits?)

Ocelot - ?North Carolina Zoo

Black Footed Cat - Philadelphia Zoo

Fishing Cat - ?National Zoo

Geoffroy's Cat - (no good exhibits?)

Jungle Cat - (only in private collections?)

Leopard Cat - (only in private collections?)

snowleopard likes this.
  3. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just out of curiosity what would be your stance on Central Park's snow leopard exhibits against Bronx? They're both amazing but I personally like CP's more

Arizona Docent likes this.
  4. Arizona Docent

My stance is that I have seen the one at Bronx but not at Central Park! If you have seen both then you are probably right that Central Park is better.

savethelephant likes this.
  5. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As for facilities open to the public, EFBC has jungle cat and leopard cat. The Capital of Texas Zoo also has jungle cat. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the National Zoo's exhibit from a visitor standpoint (don't get me wrong- it is certainly the best in the country for the animals), but I can't come up with a more suitable alternative. The Elmwood Park Zoo will soon add jaguarundi in a brand new exhibit, which will hopefully be good as it is the only reason I would visit that small, overpriced zoo again. Omaha has an African wildcat now (in the former black-footed cat exhibit), but I assume that does not constitute a "great exhibit."

6. Arizona Docent

@jayjds2 Yes how could I forget EFBC (though some of their cats are held off exhibit, so not sure if jungle cat and leopard cat are visible or not). Really fantastic news that Elmwood Park is adding jaguarundi. Do you know where they are sourcing them from?

7. Arizona Docent

8. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Arizona Docent I do not unfortunately. The new exhibit complex opened this month, and while the featured species is jaguar, there are also exhibits for ocelot, jaguarundi (which the zoo doesn't have yet), and a few other smaller species (one news article mentioned Montezuma quail). I saw the jaguar exhibit under construction, and it was nothing special. When the jaguarundi(s) arrive (again, don't know where they're coming from or when they're coming) I'll go again and photograph the whole complex.

EDIT: in response to AD's edit, yes, I did both zoos in the same day but spent considerably longer at Philadelphia. Elmwood Park is minuscule and overpriced, and I would never return if not for the upcoming jaguarundi.

Last edited: 29 May 2017
  9. Arizona Docent

(Note - as I was typing this jayjds2 typed a response that partly replicates what I am typing here).

Apparently the first phase of the predator expansion, Trail of the Jaguar, just opened! It features three adjoining exhibits: jaguar (with underwater viewing), ocelot, jaguarundi.

Here are some construction photos and schematics: Elmwood Park Zoo Trail of the Jaguar

Here is a newspaper article about the member preview of the exhibit on April 28, 2017: Trail of the Jaguar Opens at Elmwood Park Zoo
    Unfortunately, the article shows that the jaguarundi exhibit houses lizards and quail. There is no mention of jaguarundi (though the construction link I posted above specifically states it will house three jaguarundis). Only three facilities in the USA currently house jaguarundi and I don't think any of them will give them up. I am very curious where they will source them from.

10. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How about Temminck's Golden Cat? The largest of the small cat species. I'm not 100% they are still in North American zoos so maybe that's why you haven't included them. They are sadly no longer in Australasia but are kept in several facilities across Europe and Asia.

11. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Slightly off topic, but I thought of you @Arizona Docent today when I got my latest Smithsonian Zoogoer magazine that had an article and pictures highlighting the zoo's cat collection.

12. Arizona Docent

I can tell you with 100% certainty they are NOT in North American zoos any more. Last one died several years ago at Cincinnati Zoo.

13. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's a shame. Do you know why North America abandoned the breeding programme for this species? I assume for similar reasons to Australasia, though surely there was a larger founding population in North America and more zoos holding them. They're a very impressive cat in my opinion.

14. Arizona Docent

I do not think there was a large founder population. I have been visiting zoos seriously since 1990 and have been obsessed with cats, yet I have only seen two in the United States. One (already mentioned) at the Cincinnati Zoo and one at Exotic Feline Breeding Compound. They were never plentiful and a coordinated breeding program was never formed. It is a shame because I agree with you they are an impressive cat.

15. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great list I really can't disagree!

16. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I really like the WAP's Lion Camp,but my vote would go to Oakland Zoo's lion habitat.

17. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The reason I can't disagree is because not only some are fantastic, but some may not be great but I can't think of any better

18. Arizona Docent

Interesting - I am not familiar with Oakland's exhibit.

19. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You mentioned that many species don't have any good exhibits. But of the exhibits that do exist for these species, which do you think are the best?

20. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

You'll have to spend some time viewing it when you come up. It lacks the bells and whistles that Lion Camp has, but it's, like, three times the size. With some work that enhances its natural African-like features, it could be a Top 10 exhibit.

TheEthiopianWolf03 likes this.