Join our zoo community

Best Gorilla enclosure in Benelux

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by britishzoofan, 8 Aug 2020.

?

Best Gorilla enclosure in Benelux?

Poll closed 13 Aug 2020.
  1. Antwerp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Pairi Daiza

8.0%
  3. Artis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Apenheul

68.0%
  5. Burgers

4.0%
  6. Beekse Bergen

4.0%
  7. Gaia

8.0%
  8. Ouwehands

8.0%
  9. Rotterdam

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't think it is bad from the visitor perspective. I think there must be many kids who really enjoy climbing up the rope netting to view the gorillas. I was very tempted myself until I saw a sign banning adults. I did enjoy the multi-level viewing though and some of the viewing windows are quite discrete from what I remember so less intrusive.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was unaware until I saw the photos that Ouwehands had a covered enclosure like this for their gorillas. Evidently have followed the Howletts model rather than the usual open-island exhibits. Much better for the gorillas of course for all the reasons you say. I was quite suprised when I visited Apenheul at how small and basic their indoor accomodation was, and I think it is the same even today. The outdoors is great in summer of course but these Ouwehands enclosures both indoors and out are really a lot more functional for the animals. This one seems very much the exception to the usual style of design.

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It shouldn't be surprising that the followed the Aspinall model, as all their Gorillas came from there ;)

Pertinax likes this.
  4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes they did, didn't they. In which case Aspinalls probably advised on the design type, possibly even to the extent of making it a proviso of getting animals from them- they have done that in the past I believe. The difference is the indoors look much better than anything in Kent.

5. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Poll closed. Congratulations to Apenheul on winning the vote for Best Gorilla enclosure in Benelux. This is the collections second poll win following on from the Orang-utan poll and it is probably safe to say they have the premier enclosure for apes in the region. The rest of the vote was spread out between various other collections.

Apenheul: 68.0%
    Pairi Daiza: 8.0%
    Gaia: 8.0%
    Ouwehands: 8.0%
    Burgers: 4.0%
    Beekse Bergen: 4.0%