Join our zoo community

Best native zoo exhibit

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by TheEthiopianWolf03, 21 May 2020.

1. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Wanted to spark some discussion about an aspect of zoos that sometimes feels like it is overlooked. While many zoos make very glorifying and awe inspiring exhibits for your typical exotic animal (Bronx's Congo gorilla forest, DAK's Elephant exhibit, etc) the exhibits for a species native to were the zoo is located has always been something of interest to me.

My home zoo of Oakland has the exhibit known as the California Trail which not only offers massive spaces for each of the animals that are representing California's past wildlife but also provides a lot of information about the work they do with local wildlife. While the lack of species diversity and the viewing of the animals being a bit of a challenge are apparent with this exhibit, I think the entire zone offers a very well done insight into Californian wildlife and it is probably the best in the state ( With Fresno's sea lion cove and Monterey bay aquarium's Kelp forest and Open ocean showcasing different ecosystems within California and both being also very good exhibits).

So now I ask the people of Zoochat who come from across the globe and have a wide diversity of species that can be considered native to their home zoo. What do you guys think is the best exhibit that represents not only native wildlife but also has the best conservation message about native wildlife? The exhibit can be good for many reasons such as education, good exhibits, species diversity, and the likes just explain why you think it is the best native exhibit seen in zoos.

Mbwamwitu and German Zoo World like this.
  2. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Alpenzoo Innsbruck of course represents Alpine fauna extremely well. The zoo in Taipei also seems to have a very nice variety of Taiwanese fauna.

3. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

I personally believe Auckland Zoo's Te Wao Nui represents the biodiversity of NZ really well and I think most of the zoo is dedicated to it. Also the walk-through aviaries are really nice.

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary shows a great collection of wildlife found in the area. Minnesota Zoo's Minnesota Trail is excellent as well.

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Include El Paso Zoo's "Chihuahuan Desert" and Houston Zoo's "Texas Wilds"

6. Matt G

Matt G Well-Known Member

I think my favorite zoo exhibit right here in NYC is Bronx Zoo's JungleWorld, because it is so immersive with a LOT of species native from Southeast Asia, India, and Papua New Guinea.

7. birdsandbats

This thread is talking about parts of zoos native to the area that the zoo is located in.

8. Matt G

Matt G Well-Known Member

9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Alpenzoo Innsbruck, Tierpark Bern and Auckland Zoo, end of discussion :p

10. Zooplantman

Western North Carolina Nature Center (perhaps not the "best" in Zoochat competition terms but that is their mission)

11. Zooplantman

Cleveland Museum of Natural History "Perkins Wildlife Center"

12. Zooplantman

Big Bear Alpine Zoo

13. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They truly have a great collection of my North Carolina wildlife, and also some species that once lived in my state (cougar). Was very impressed with them when I visited last year.

evilmonkey239 and Coelacanth18 like this.
  14. birdsandbats

Not with the Red Pandas, though.

15. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The red pandas are meant as a comparison with a prehistoric red panda whose fossils were found nearby in the Southern Appalachians of Tennessee... so while not technically a native species, it is still related to a native-oriented educational message.

evilmonkey239 and birdsandbats like this.
  16. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

99% of species held at the center are native or extinct within the last century or so in the region. So focusing on the one species that is not is kind of unfair. Especially because the center in no way acts like the species are native, they are there to represent species that once lived in the region. Several more species like them will be added to make up a zone about it.

savetherhino and birdsandbats like this.
  17. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Los Angeles Zoo that I volunteer at is planning their California region as part of their vision plan. Right where you enter the main entrance, the plaza would be remodeled, Sea Life Cliffs would be renovated, there would be a grizzly bear exhibit to showcase it’s state mammal, there would animals native to the California State and Baja California region both big and small more diversity than Oakland, and some are present at the zoo, Bighorn Sheep, Peninsular Pronghorn, Black Bear, Tule Elk, Beaver, Mountain Lion, Grey Wolf, Tule Elk, and there will be a exhibit for California Condors.

18. Matt G

Matt G Well-Known Member

Los Angeles Zoo doesn't exhibit California condors anymore.

19. Matt G

Matt G Well-Known Member

The best native zoo exhibit would be the Lost Forest at San Diego Zoo because it was opened in multiple phases with animals ranging from hippos, gorillas, bonobos, Malayan tigers, a large variety of monkey species, pygmy hippos, okapis, mandrills, a small variety of crocodile species, Malayan tapirs, fishing cats, 3 aviaries, Sumatran orangutans, and babirusas.

20. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ah I love seeing the native rainforest species on the San Diego beaches :p ;)