Join our zoo community

Best Reptile Houses

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by hudson111, 19 Jan 2021.

1. hudson111

hudson111 Well-Known Member

the building is very nice on the inside but the species collection is not all that special and it is a small building

2. hudson111

hudson111 Well-Known Member

Also I started a new thread called worst elephant exhibits in the US if anyone wants to join feel free

3. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I also don't necessarily agree with everything on this list. I'm fairly certain Detroit was on there primarily because of their amphibian collection also. I just figured it would be relevant to the discussions on this thread. Maybe if the same book was made today their list would be different?

4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Collection is very different from reptile house. Omaha, for example, has a pretty decent collection, but they don't have a reptile house at all. Quite a few zoos have gotten new buildings since then, as well (like Dallas).

Neil chace likes this.
  5. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

The amphibian and reptile houses at Detroit zoo are all very nice though, and even though the collection is not outstanding I do think they should be considered together. I also suggest using Survey Hero instead of creating many unnecessary new threads just for polls.

6. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I posted some photos of Audubon Zoo's Reptile Encounter in 2018, here are several of those images. They show that it is a low formal historic exterior with an average-sized interior of exhibits set mostly within modern 1980's-looking hallways but some exhibits have simulated natural surroundings. This was the era when they really knew how to carpet floors and walls to absrob sound!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All photos taken by geomorph.

birdsandbats, CMP and TinoPup like this.