Join our zoo community

Best UK Lynx enclosure

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by britishzoofan, 24 Jun 2020.

?

Best UK Lynx enclosure?

Poll closed 28 Jun 2020.
  1. Hamerton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Newquay

2.0%
  3. Camperdown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Wild Place

20.0%
  5. Wildwood

2.0%
  6. Whipsnade

28.0%
  7. New Forest WP

18.0%
  8. Scottish DC

2.0%
  9. Highland

6.0%
  10. Other

22.0%
  1. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is just a bit of fun to judge the general consensus on the best enclosure for Lynx's in the UK. I have added a few photos from the gallery to make it easier for members to compare the different exhibits. If anyone wants to make an argument for a particular enclosure, please feel free to do so. Also, I would encourage people to perhaps list the enclosures in order of what they determine to be the best.

If anyone has any photos of the exhibits I couldn't find any for could they please provide them or if not provide a description of the exhibit.

If anyone wants to vote for a collection not explicitly mentioned in the poll could they please vote for the other option and then state in the thread who you're voting for.

South Lakes (Canadian)

Unfortunately, there are no photos of this enclosure in the gallery. It would be extremely useful if someone who has visited can describe the exhibit and give an evaluation on its quality.

Northumberland CZ (Canadian)

Unfortunately, there are no photos of this enclosure in the gallery. It would be extremely useful if someone who has visited can describe the exhibit and give an evaluation on its quality.

Hamerton (Canadian)

[​IMG]

Exmoor (Carpathian)

[​IMG]

Green Dragon Eco Farm (Carpathian)

Dudley (Carpathian)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Port Lympne (Carpathian)

[​IMG]

Newquay (Carpathian)

[​IMG]

Dartmoor (Carpathian)

[​IMG]

Camperdown (Northern)

[​IMG]

Woodside (Central Asian)

[​IMG]

Big Cat Sanctuary (Northern)

[​IMG]

Lake District WP (Northern)

Birmingham WCP (Northern)

[​IMG]

Wild Place (Northern)

[​IMG]

Wildwood (Northern)

[​IMG]

Whipsnade (Northern)

[​IMG]

New Forest WP (Northern)

[​IMG]

Ark WP (Northern)

[​IMG]

Drayton Manor (Northern)

[​IMG]

Wingham (Northern)

Scottish Deer Centre (Northern)

[​IMG]

Highland (Northern)

[​IMG]

Five Sisters (Northern)

2. britishzoofan

Borth (Northern)

[​IMG]

Wolds WP (Northern)

[​IMG]

Mablethorpe SS (Northern)

3. zoomart

zoomart Member

I voted for Whipsnade, it was a close call for me between ZSL's and Birmingham Conservation Centre.

The lynx enclosure at Dudley did seem somewhat refreshed and renovated compared to the pictures in this thread when I visited last week. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of the exhibit.

Azubaa and zoosafari123 like this.
  4. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For me, it's between New Forest and Wildplace... New forest takes the lead for me (just).

Edit - for justification, the New forest exhibit is far denser in terms of its vegetation than any of the other exhibits in the poll (from what I believe). It's full of trees and climbing platforms, and is huge!! I'll try and dig out some more photos, as I have them saved somewhere.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2020
    pipaluk and speedycheese like this.
  5. Leopardus

Leopardus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just wanted to upload some up to date shots of the enclosure at Birmingham WCP, as the climbing frame is no longer present and the vegetation has grown through a lot more. 20200624_120807.jpg 20200624_120752.jpg 20200624_120732.jpg

6. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It’s been years since I went to Drayton Manor, but both there’s and Borths Enclosures look (from the photos) horrendous!

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I have voted for the Birmingham exhibit - the ones at Whipsnade and Highland Wildlife Park are pretty damn good too, but in terms of size, level of vegetation cover and suitability for the species the enclosure at BWCP has the edge methinks.

Brum, britishzoofan and Leopardus like this.
  8. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went for Wild Place. Honestly, I haven't seen all of the options here, but the enclosure at WP blew my mind in terms of how naturalistic it is, the tree climbing opportunities, the options of gradient, shade, cover and probability that some stalking and even hunting could take place. The off-show indoor dens look to be very good and once the inhabitants have gained some confidence with the fast returning public, both adults and the new litter of kittens will provide great viewing. Linked to the wider context of the Bear Wood exhibit, educational signage and the overriding re-wilding message, this is the clear winner for me.

Shirokuma and britishzoofan like this.
  9. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm not sure what the current set-up at Mablethorpe is. The Lynx Cave exhibit is excellent, but on my last visit in 2017 it was closed for refurbishment, with the animals housed in a temporary enclosure normally inhabited by foxes and badgers. This was perfectly adequate with a raised platform at the very back, and some foliage, but certainly wouldn't be worthy of winning this poll.

The usual Lynx exhibit is an Ice Age themed exhibit, with lots of high vantage points and rocks for the cats to climb on. There is also a walk-through tunnel with lots of educational displays showing how Lincolnshire may have looked during the Ice Age, which passes directly beneath the Lynx enclosure and also offers views of their dens behind glass, as well as a higher viewing area.

Oh and as far as I'm aware they keep three Lynx - I think they're all females.

britishzoofan likes this.
  10. britishzoofan

@MagpieGoose has kindly uploaded a photo of Five Sister's enclosure.

[​IMG]

11. steveuk99

steveuk99 Active Member 10+ year member

Here's a couple of Mablethorpe taken last March. They don't show much if the enclosure unfortunately. IMG_20190301_111345.jpg IMG_20190301_111906.jpg

Sand Cat and britishzoofan like this.
  12. Rupert89

Rupert89 Well-Known Member

I voted for new forest as i love their enclosure.

Dartmoors enclosure has much more plant coverage now and more climbing opportunities, can see if i can find an up to date pic at some point.

13. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If only there was a lynx exhibit of Dortmund’s quality in the UK we would have a clear winner

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  14. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for posting these - it looks like they're back in the cave exhibit then. I absolutely love that enclosure, although the back of it looks different with more wood boarding etc. which slightly spoils the effect. Undecided whether to vote for it or not now!

15. Ickbur

Ickbur Active Member 5+ year member

Curraghs is the Wildlife Park on the Isle Of Man which is part of Great Britain but not the UK!

Curraghs flagship exhibit is for the European Lynx. It reminds me of a smaller version of the old Lion paddock at Chester Zoo. I’d say between 1/3 and 1/2 that old exhibits size. It’s is grassed with a few large conifer type tress and several platforms for the cats to rest on or under. There is one main yard and several dens (one off show) which give some great views of these cats. There is also another smaller yard. There are four viewing points around the exhibit but the rest of the fenced area is hidden by vegetation to provide some privacy. I have found the Lynx here are particularly active and we visit nearly every month.

At the moment there are two Lynx yo my knowledge but they have definitely had three in the past. I haven’t seen all the alternatives on the list but it is far better than both Dudley and Drayton.

I have a lot of pictures and video which I will try to post

16. britishzoofan

Score update. Whipsnade currently have the lead by 4 votes over Wild Place. There appears to be several excellent exhibits in this category.

I would be interested to hear those arguments in favour of Whipsnade as I believe there have been none so far. @ShonenJake13 @MagpieGoose @gulogulogulo who are you voting for?

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've voted NFWP. Of the ones I've seen I think its by far the best, certainly much better than the current leader, Whipsnade. I think the several heavily wooded/treed enclosures like New Forest's, Birmingham, Wild Place etc do deserve to score a lot over the ones that aren't.

TNT and britishzoofan like this.
  18. TNT

As I've mentioned above, I agree with you - the NFWP exhibit is seriously being let down in the votes!

Pertinax likes this.
  19. TNT

I would also note that Wildwood Escot is missing from the list :)

20. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I’m voting for Birmingham.

britishzoofan, Brum and Leopardus like this.