Join our zoo community

Best UK Red Panda enclosure

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by britishzoofan, 1 Jul 2020.

?

Best UK Red Panda enclosure?

Poll closed 5 Jul 2020.
  1. Cotswold

2.4%
  2. Chester

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dudley

78.0%
  4. Port Lympne

2.4%
  5. Curraghs

4.9%
  6. Belfast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Edinburgh

7.3%
  8. Highland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Welsh Mountain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

4.9%
  1. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is just a bit of fun to judge the general consensus on the best enclosure for Red Pandas in the UK. I have added a few photos from the gallery to make it easier for members to compare the different exhibits. If anyone wants to make an argument for a particular enclosure, please feel free to do so. Also, I would encourage people to perhaps list the enclosures in order of what they determine to be the best.

There are quite a few exhibits without any photos so if anyone has visited these collections could they provide photos/a description. If you want to vote for any of the options not explicitly mentioned in the poll please vote for the other option and state who you are voting for in the thread. I suspect there maybe a large number of people voting other in this thread due to the wealth of options.

Drusillas

Unfortunately, there are no photos of this enclosure in the gallery. It would be extremely useful if someone who has visited can describe the exhibit and give an evaluation on its quality.

Banham

[​IMG]

Lake District WP

Unfortunately, there are no photos of this enclosure in the gallery. It would be extremely useful if someone who has visited can describe the exhibit and give an evaluation on its quality.

Birmingham WCP

[​IMG]

Blackpool

[​IMG]

Bristol

[​IMG]

Paradise WP

Cotswold

[​IMG]

Chester

[​IMG]

Colchester

[​IMG]

South Lakes

Dudley

[​IMG]

Whipsnade

Paradise P

[​IMG]

Port Lympne

[​IMG]

Flamingo Land

[​IMG]

Woodside

Amazon World

[​IMG]

Newquay

Paignton

Shepreth

[​IMG]

Drayton Manor

Thrigby

[​IMG]

Longleat

[​IMG]

Marwell

[​IMG]

Wingham

[​IMG]

Woburn

2. britishzoofan

Curraghs

[​IMG]

Belfast

[​IMG]

Edinburgh

[​IMG]

Highland

[​IMG]

Folly Farm

[​IMG]

Welsh Mountain

[​IMG]

Manor WP

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dudley all the way in this one, the fact it's situated on a hill and has viewing at ground and tree level is an added bonus. Definitely the best Dudley has to offer at the minute.

britishzoofan likes this.
  4. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This photo shows the view from the upper viewing area at Dudley's enclosure;

[​IMG]
    Spot the Red Panda - ZooChat

Out of all the UK red panda enclosures, I think being able to view them high up at 'tree level' is a feature unique to Dudley's enclosure.

Angel, Brum and britishzoofan like this.
  5. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Drusillas exhibit:
    [​IMG]

Nod and britishzoofan like this.
  6. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So the Shepreth enclosure shown here is actually a marmoset enclosure from some years back. I’ll try and get some new pictures of the red panda enclosure today.

Nod and britishzoofan like this.
  7. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So many good ones to choose from....... There are many not even listed here (a huge job to compile I'm sure?). I think the criteria should be access to real 'living' trees and visitor viewing?
    *Newquay & Paignton probably should be considered too, though there are bigger and more spacious exhibits to vote for? Dudley, Welsh Mountain & Belfast look good?

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I prefer the ones that contain confer trees and some bamboo or similar to mimic the Himalayan enviroment. So Dudley, Edinburgh and Paignton(not shown) score over the others for me. But any with natural trees are better than those without.

9. Gibbon05

Gibbon05 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. Gibbon05

Gibbon05 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You are right, that is not Shepreth's red panda enclosure, which is next to the one in photo. The one shown is the old raccoon exhibit which now holds black tailed marmoset and azaras agouti

12. bintarong

bintarong Well-Known Member

Definitely Dudley zoo! the foliage cover and climbing ability is amazing.

13. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For those why I voted other it is because I have voted for Longleat for the amazing Red Panda Exhibit and there are 2. One for the Breeding pair in Monkey Temple and one is by the Jungle Cruise for the boys

14. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Most of these exhibits are pretty much the same standard design one or two trees and or climbing structure with the odd box surrounded by a low wall.
    The only ones that really differ much are Dudley and Port Lympne. Flamingoland's was a bit different if I recall correctly, but can't see that any of the others deserve a vote really

Last edited: 1 Jul 2020
    britishzoofan and Azubaa like this.
  15. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With all due respect, I am wondering how this:

Can be considered better than this:

Or this:

Or this:

JamesB and Gibbon05 like this.
  16. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In fairness, Longleat’s now have access to that enormous tree, which they didn’t at the time of the photo being taken. But yes, I’d still say Dudley win out here!

zoosafari123 and amur leopard like this.
  17. britishzoofan

@MagpieGoose has kindly uploaded photos of some of the enclosures

Paradise WP

[​IMG]

South Lakes

[​IMG]

Whipsnade

[​IMG]

Newquay

[​IMG]

zoosafari123 likes this.
  18. britishzoofan

Score update. Despite numerous collections holding this species Dudley have a large lead with over 70% of the vote. They stand out having a large spacious well vegetated exhibit with two levels of viewing. This is the first time Dudley has stood out as having a good exhibit within a category. The only other enclosure with more than one vote is Edinburgh. I'm not surprised Dudley is winning, however I am a little surprised by the margin of their lead.

19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm surprised Edinburgh has multiple votes :p as barring Dudley there are a fair few other exhibits which are better in both climbing opportunity, size and vegetation - Edinburgh's exhibit is very small!

20. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dudley zoo have what I would say is the best exhibit for Nepal red panda's in the UK as it as many tree's & ground cover.
    You have 2 great viewing areas one at the bottom opposite the Giraffe's and the other just before the entrance to the second small monkey house over the top.
    How many others have 2 different viewing heights?