Join our zoo community

Best UK Sloth Bear Enclosure

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by felis silvestris, 1 Sep 2022.

?

Best UK Sloth Bear enclosure?

1. Whipsnade

38 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Johnsons of Old Hurst

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. felis silvestris

felis silvestris Well-Known Member

So, seeing what polls @britishzoofan and @TheZooUK made over 2020 and 2021, I decided to make one of my own. Feel free to reasoning for which enclosure is better and why. Also if you can find even better overview photos that would be great.

Johnsons of Old Hurst (Indian)

[​IMG]

Whipsnade (Sri Lankan)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  2. felis silvestris

felis silvestris Well-Known Member

3. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

I’ve visited both (whipsnade more regularly) and whipsnade’s enclosure is larger, has more to do and has decent viewing. I’d say it is better overall. The photo shows perhaps half of it.

The highly reflective wire is a bit off for great photos but that’s not going to impact most visitors.

Although the whipsnade bear is now getting on in years and so is often only out in his enclosure when he’s being fed he does make use of the whole space. He still uses all the treat toys and roams about.

Johnson’s is also pretty good - it’s an ok size and has elevation etc. However it’s not as large or as varied as the whipsnade one though it is a good enclosure investment for a zoo of its size.

4. Rajang-GOAT

Rajang-GOAT Well-Known Member

I have been informed that Columbo the Sloth Bear has passed away- apparently there is a sign outside his enclosure at Whipsnade Zoo announcing this.

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

…..which now makes the Johnson enclosure the better of the two, as it’s actually got bears in it. Dear old Columbo, he’ll be missed

6. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

That’s sad news. He’s been such a moment in my whipsnade zoo visit day for a lot of years even as he’s been slowing down a bit. I’ll really miss seeing him.

pipaluk and felis silvestris like this.
  7. mrcriss

mrcriss Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to meet and feed him this summer. He certainly left a lasting impression. Sad news indeed!

8. ZooTripper365

ZooTripper365 Well-Known Member

Had no idea he'd passed away! Was just planning a trip to Whipsnade to see him :(

felis silvestris likes this.