Join our zoo community

Best UK Warthog enclosure

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by britishzoofan, 14 Jul 2020.

?

Best UK Warthog enclosure?

Poll closed 18 Jul 2020.
  1. Chester

51.3%
  2. Colchester

41.0%
  3. London

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Flamingo Land

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Hoo Farm

2.6%
  6. Longleat

5.1%
  7. Marwell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is just a bit of fun to judge the general consensus on the best enclosure for Warthogs in the UK. I have added a few photos from the gallery to make it easier for members to compare the different exhibits. If anyone wants to make an argument for a particular enclosure, please feel free to do so. Also, I would encourage people to perhaps list the enclosures in order of what they determine to be the best.

If you have any photos/ description of enclosures which are missing here please provide them.

Chester

[​IMG]

Colchester

[​IMG]

London

[​IMG]

Flamingo Land

[​IMG]

Hoo Farm

[​IMG]

Longleat

Unfortunately, there are no photos of this enclosure in the gallery. It would be extremely useful if someone who has visited can describe the exhibit and give an evaluation on its quality.

Marwell

[​IMG]

2. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was unaware that Hoo Farm even had Warthog... That said, the enclosure seems to be much better when compared to the others, and probably on a par with Colchester... with Chester sitting just behind them. I wouldn't say that any of the exhibits are awful, but it's certainly clear that some are better than others... it's nice to see they they all provide the opportunity to root around in the soil/bark.

I think I'll hold out on voting for a little while... as I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

Can anyone tell me if the Hoo Farm exhibit extends into, and past the treeline? thanks :)

3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I cant remember seeing any Warthog there and that photo is from 2015, so maybe not there anymore?
    Looks like where the Wolves are now actually.

4. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hoo Farm no longer holds Warthog, the ones they received had all died by 2017.

5. britishzoofan

Sorry, I was relying on zootierliste for this information.

6. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think this screenshot from Google street view shows Longleat's warthog enclosure in the background. Please could someone confirm that it definitely is as I believe it could stand a chance of winning this poll.

upload_2020-7-14_19-57-19.png
    Google Maps

britishzoofan likes this.
  7. TNT

That's a shame - I've always enjoyed the species.

felis silvestris and MagpieGoose like this.
  8. zoosafari123

zoosafari123 Well-Known Member

As of recent months the tapir have moved into this enclosure and the new warthog that recently arrived are in the old tapir enclosure. Below is a photo from the gallery of when the tapir lived in the current warthog enclosure. [​IMG]
    I don't understand the need for the enclosure swap. Both are fine for warthog but the now tapir enclosure doesn't have a pool!

9. TNT

@Nod Hoo farm no longer have Warthog... so you may want to change your vote ;)

Nod likes this.
  10. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The enclosure that the warthog infamously escaped from in Animal Park. Interesting choice to put them back in there.

zoosafari123 and pipaluk like this.
  11. britishzoofan

Score update. Currently a two horse race between Chester and Colchester who have a four vote lead. Would be interested to hear arguments in favour of either collection.

12. Azubaa

Azubaa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’d also like to hear some reasons for Colchester’s.
    Does it have a mud wallow or permanent water feature?
    Visually I prefer Chester’s and Longleat’s, and I’ve seen both multiple times, but I’ve never been to Colchester so happy to listen as to why it’s regarded to be better.

felis silvestris likes this.
  13. Ickbur

Ickbur Active Member 5+ year member

I think that the Warthog enclosure is a forgotten gem at Cheater. I wonder if many people even know it’s there. I always make a point to go over and watch them. Their paddock seems to be suitably sized and landscaped. The Warthogs always seem to be out and active when I’ve watched them. It was even better when they shared the paddock with Meerkats?!? They often have youngsters who are very nibble And enjoy frolicking.

I enjoy the reeds and foliage that are on the visitor side which with a squint give the impression that you are out in the wild. I always seem to catch the Black Rhinos being active in the paddock behind them as well. This peaceful area is great for a coffee and pastry. Selfishly I hope it remains a secluded area as it’s one of my favorite spots in zoo and I’m not sure that would be the same if it had RotRA ques.

14. Nod

Nod Active Member

Hey man, it's about the enclosure. I like the enclosure :rolleyes:

15. TNT

Pahaha get back to ya art ;):p

Nod likes this.
  16. britishzoofan

I will just mention that with the poll closing tonight it is extremely close with the scores level. Can anyone sway some undecided voters?

17. britishzoofan

Sorry I have been extremely busy last couple of weeks so haven't been able to update/create new threads.

Poll closed. Congratulations to Chester on winning the vote for Best UK Warthog enclosure narrowly over Colchester. However, I understand as mentioned in another thread they are actually no longer currently on exhibit due to the African Grasslands development. I have no idea if this will involve them getting an exhibit upgrade.

Chester: 51.3%
    Colchester: 41.0%
    Longleat: 5.1%

18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So Chester is the best 'former' warthog enclosure but Colchester wins this now?!

Rajang-GOAT likes this.