Join our zoo community

Best UK Zoo Lion enclosure

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by britishzoofan, 6 May 2020.

?

Best UK Zoo Lion enclosure?

Poll closed 10 May 2020.
  1. Cotswold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Chester

2.1%
  3. Whipsnade

12.5%
  4. London

12.5%
  5. Paignton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. YWP

52.1%
  7. Africa Alive

16.7%
  8. Flamingo Land

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Noah's Ark

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

4.2%
  1. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

By the sounds of it I should have included Folly Farm as one of the stand alone options in the poll. Having never visited before I didn't realise how impressive their Lion exhibit was.

TNT likes this.
  2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This isn't an easy one, I haven't seen Chester's new enclosure, but the leading contenders for me would be YWP, Whipsnade or Africa Alive. I actually think Dudley, Edinburgh, Paignton and Cotswold are all reasonably good too.
    Definitely out of the contest would be Bristol, Newquay, London and Wingham either due to size or in London's case, the space wasted on flip flops and battered suitcases etc!

britishzoofan likes this.
  3. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Quite a few boring grass and platform exhibits, unfortunately. Africa Alive at least has something different going for it, although I'm not sure whether it is necessarily the 'best'.

pipaluk likes this.
  4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So looks like my assessment was fair, Whipsnade & Africa Alive! are the only challenging YWP

5. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Not been to flamingo land before but the lion house does look a bit odd, do they have more off show areas or is this it.

6. zoosafari123

zoosafari123 Well-Known Member

They do have an off show indoor area yes :)

7. sparkes12

sparkes12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just want to say thank you so much for doing these polls, clear you take alot of time to gather all info.
    Long may they continue.

8. britishzoofan

Whipsnade is clearly a strong challenger as mentioned above. It would be great if anyone could share photos of the enclosure or describe it for those who haven't visited.

9. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Whipsnade’s strength is that it’s lion enclosure offers (pretty much) unrestricted views of its lions. It is designed in such a way as to create a type of plateau, so the lions look “down” on the oryx paddock.

There is top-to-bottom reinforced glass that covers an undercover 180 degree span at the top the enclosure. The advantage here is that the group tend to stay around this area, so good photo opportunities.

As you follow the path down towards the hippo and look back, you will have a better idea of the raised plateau effect. Lions and oryx are separated by a sunken partition. If the lions are sitting at their highest vantage point, they look “down” onto the oryx paddock. Again, good photo opportunities with oryx in front/lions behind.

Pros-excellent photo opportunities and a decent sized enclosure (far superior to the old lion dells).

Cons-signage and theme (never ZSL’s strength) and a non-breeding, ageing pride-the male Spike died a few years ago and the group is gradually being phased out. Also very basic indoor accommodation.

pipaluk and britishzoofan like this.
  10. banham.tiger

Paradise have recently opened a new lion enclosure so there enclosure is a lot different now to the photos.

11. britishzoofan

Thanks, have you visited since it opened. If not do you know for photos if it would be competitive in this poll.

12. Yorkshirelass

Yorkshirelass New Member

Sadly the lion enclosure is surrounded by the log flume ride... one of the worst ones I've seen

13. Tau

Tau Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I will try and upload pictures of the new enclosure at Paradise. It is actually very impressive and the indoor area is very good.

britishzoofan and TNT like this.
  14. britishzoofan

Score update. YWP have a healthy lead with 50% of the vote. Africa Alive, Whipsnade and London are the only other collections with over 10% of the vote so far. The large, aesthetically pleasing space that YWP gives to their multiple rescue groups appears to have given them the advantage in this poll.

15. britishzoofan

Did you manage to find a picture?

16. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

britishzoofan likes this.
  17. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From the look of the video it looks pretty “sparse.” Maybe it just needs a bit of growing time but it’s a definite improvement on the previous African lion enclosure.

18. banham.tiger

Unfortunately they have whites too which makes it seem a bit worse! I would like to see more grass in it too.

19. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Unless the lions are part of a reintroduction programme, does it matter what colour they are?

If more people want to see white lions, rather than ordinary lions, surely the money should help pay for the upkeep of other animals.

20. Ickbur

Ickbur Active Member 5+ year member

Watched the log flume ride break down at Flamingo Land in the summer of 2012. It literally travels up the side of the enclosure then along the wall so you are looking down into the paddock. Flume got stuck at the top on the hottest August day I’ve ever known. They spent 30 minutes getting the Lions inside who didn’t want to go because they spotted a snack and another 30 minutes getting the people off the ride. Extraordinary spectacle.

I always felt the Chesters enclosure was unfairly maligned. I liked the wooded area it was too exposed on all sides and could have been extended. I have not seen their new enclosure.

It seems to me that Lions often get the short end of the stick with enclosure designs. Nothing as well designed as Chesters Jaguar or London’s Tiger enclosure.

britishzoofan and Tau like this.