Join our zoo community

Best Zoo Animal Enclosure

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by casuariusb, 8 Sep 2014.

1. casuariusb

casuariusb Member

I would like to publish articles in International Zoo News about new, recently completed or in-construction zoo animal enclosures anywhere in the world. The enclosure aspects to focus on are meeting the biological needs of the animal, easy and safe management and giving the visitor good visibility. Innovation and cost effectiveness are other points of interest.
    The choice of species is open, but it would be nice if there was some relationship with in situ conservation efforts.
    It can be your own opinion or a group work, but good quality photos are essential.
    You can write to me under private messages or send an email with an outline to me here.

2. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

:rolleyes:

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

In other words, a more timely Zoolex?

4. casuariusb

casuariusb Member

This is intended to be a subjective assessment of a new enclosure and not a commercial advertisement from a professional architectural company. ZooChat readers are working in zoos and/or are continuously visiting zoos and some of you must be able to decide on which enclosure merits praise and why.
    I am always interested in articles about a zoo visit and a general assessment of it, but in this case I want to focus on the individual quality exhibit.
    A comparative article on the various approaches to specific species' exhibits (e.g. Asian elephants) would also be of interest. You are the experts.

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Recently constructed enclosure for Madagascar Orb-web Spider at Newquay. Small but very effective.
    Sorry, no photo, perhaps someone else can supply.