Join our zoo community

Best Zoo Duo's

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by pachyderm pro, 9 Sep 2017.

?

What is the best duo of zoos around the world?

1. San Diego Zoo & San Diego Safari Park

36.0%
  2. Berlin Zoo & Berlin Tierpark

28.0%
  3. Whipsnade Zoo & London Zoo (ZSL)

12.0%
  4. Singapore Zoo & Night Safari (Also, River Safari)

12.0%
  5. Smithsonain's Naional Zoo & Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Antwerp Zoo & Plackendael

8.0%
  7. Melbourne &Heasville

4.0%
  1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This topic is something I have been thinking about for a while, what are the best duos of zoos? Which duo complements each other the best? Which are of the highest quality? Which have the strongest collection? And are they different enough to be their own thing? Please vote in the poll.

2. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wouldn't consider the National zoo and SCBI a "duo of zoos" since SCBI isn't a public facility.

natel12 likes this.
  3. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

lol'd at (also river safari)

4. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

Personally I would think that ZSL London and Whipsnade compliment each other nicely as of the species that they keep.London,being a city zoo somewhat limits the amount of species they can hold but saying that they have some rare species and are the only zoo in the UK to hold certain species and give their animals very nice and impressive exhibits such as Tiger Territory and Gorilla Kingdom as examples.

Whipsnade on the other hand,being set in the countryside has the opportunity to allow for large sized enclosures.With London being unable to hold certain species,Whipsnade takes this opportunity to hold a large herd of Asian Elephants in what I think is the largest elephant enclosure in the UK and compliments the other megafauna species such as giraffes and two species of rhino by giving them large open spaces to roam and browse.

Both collections allow you to see the difference between zoo locations and allows the public to have a choice if they want to see a specific species then they know which zoo they will want to visit.

This is slightly biased because I'm a UK resident and more likely to vote for a UK zoo.

5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No Aussie mentions? Taronga & WPZ and Melbourne & Healesville should be on the list and you also missed out Antwerp and Plackendael... Time to rethink the poll Pachyderm Pro! ;)

Also agree that Smithsonian shouldn't be included.

animal_expert01 likes this.
  6. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I added Melbourne and Healesville. Unfortunately I'm on mobile right now so I know I spelled it wrong but accidentally clicked done and I'm unable to change it, my bad.

Brum likes this.