Join our zoo community

Best zoo enclosure/ exhibit

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by thecheetah805, 21 Jan 2016.

1. thecheetah805

thecheetah805 Member

Hopefully the title says it all, but what does everyone think is the best enclosure or exhibit in any zoo worldwide? (Just for clarification, enclosure is a single animal environment, exhibit is a collection of enclosures in the same area/ theme)

2. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Best Enclosure:

The Alaskan Brown Bear enclosure at The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.

3. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is a mighty fine difficult question, and one which I can't answer. For someone to answer that it would mean they would have to travel to every zoo in the world to find out...

Anyway how are we defining best? Is it best for the animal? Best for the keeper? Best for photography? Best for educational value? Best for causing traffic jams of people*? For example I enjoyed the monkey house at Edinburgh Zoo when I visited, but I wouldn't say it was the best exhibit for any other reason; at Manchester Museum they have an empty tank to demonstrate extinction and deforestation which was certainly thought provoking, but not the best for any other reason (except education).

I doubt anyone can really say which is the best in the world, as it is limited to what they have seen and their personal opinions. If you limited it more it may make it slightly easier, such as 'best Lion exhibit in the UK', but that would still be quite difficult. So this is a question which (probably) no one can actually set a defined answer for.

*meant as a joke, and anyway I think the Tomistoma exhibit or RotRA at Chester may deserve that title :p

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Althrough I've not traveled the whole world I can say that I have seen quite a number of good enclosures / exhibits ( and also quite a number of bad ones ! ) but even so I think I can say Burgers Bush at Arnhem - the Netherlands is among the best enclosures in the world. A rainforest from about 1 Hectare with countless free-living animals and some which are not so free-living which has been copied by many other zoos and has set a new standard in the zoo-world.

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I like the question. It's so general that one can only answer from the gut.
    I think a "and why" would make for interesting reading and discussion

6. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

At the risk of sounding cliche (or starting an exhibit war!), Congo gorilla forest hands down for me. Not just because of the amazing immersive appeal but also the education. Personally I have never seen a visitor stand for so long at one enclosure!(Including myself;)) There are countless displays throught the complex explaining the plight of animals of the rainforest and why it's important. And who could forget the amazing film with the draw-dropping surprise at the end; where the curtains lift up and you see a pretty good replica of the African rainforest based off the film you just saw. And of course there are the animals before the main attraction (gorillas)- mandrills, guenons, okapi, red river hog, colobus, and many other smaller animals that help the visitors appreciate the existence of "creepy crawleys".

PS- Some may moan of the 3 dollar fee to visit but I think it's a wondeful idea. See a replica of the African rainforst for a fraction of a price for the real thing- and you're also contributing towards the conservation of animals in their natural habitat. What can be better than that?!

Edit- Cross-posted with Zooplantman

7. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Rock hyrax enclosure at Edinburgh

8. dcpandafan

dcpandafan Well-Known Member

Giant Panda exhibits at the National zoo in DC.

The CGF at the Bronx is definitely top 3 as well.

^That is based off of photos I've seen of it.

9. thecheetah805

thecheetah805 Member

If you are struggling- what i meant by best was essentially if you were talking to someone and they said that they didn't like zoos because the animals aren't happy, there's no education value e.c.t and you could show them one enclosure to change thier mind, what would it be?

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Found this article about "my" favorite :

ZooLex Exhibit

11. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Best zoo enclosure exhibit

My personal favourite is the Madagascar Golden Orb Web Spider at Newquay Zoo. Less than a metre square, and only a few centimetres thick, this is a window between two rooms with a single big spider in a web, framed by a fe plants. Very effective small exhibit. Harvest Mouse enclosure in the same zoo is nearly as good,

12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My favorites are exhibits that just fence off large sections of an existing forest. These are realistic because, well, they are real! Any predator exhibit at Northwest Trek (USA) would get my vote as well as most of the enclosures at Le Parc Des Felins (France). If I had to pick one there, perhaps the Asian lion exhibit (former white tiger exhibit).