Join our zoo community

Biggest 'Pet' Hate

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by animalszoos, 2 Apr 2017.

1. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last edited: 2 Apr 2017
    SealPup likes this.
  2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ThylacineAlive and SealPup like this.
  3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't generally hate pets, no matter how big they are. But I'm not fond of dogs, especially the larger ones like rottweilers and great danes which can bite your face off without even needing to jump.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. animalszoos

What else would you say that means a minor annoyance that someone identifies as particularly annoying? Pet dislike? Maybe pet peeve or pet aversion? I mentioned both peeve and hate because I have heard people say both pet peeve and pet hate.

Not quite what I meant. The definition at the top does not refer to only pets. For example my pet hate/peeve could be curtains that do not close properly. This is not a big issue but it really annoys me.
    Another pet hate/peeve could be poor customer service, rude people, doors that are left open etc.

dublinlion likes this.
  5. animalszoos

I don't hate pets either. I dislike pitbulls and boxers as well as bulldogs (because of the noise they make). I like pugs however I dislike the way they (and similar dogs) are bred.
    As much as I enjoy tigers, I hate them being kept as pets (of which there are many of in America).

6. Chlidonias

I have a corresponding question. What is everyone's biggest pet hat? Mine's a sombrero named Miguel.

Zooplantman, natel12, Swampy and 4 others like this.
  7. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

A wedding veil named Gail.

8. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a particular dislike of some highly derived pets such as toy poodles, pekinese, King Charles spaniels, telescope eyed goldfish, and naked mice. However I do not mind silkie bantams undoubtedly because I kept them as a boy. I also have a pet hate of people on zoochat posting on issues that are nothing to do with animals.

P.s. I would love a pet tiger, especially a white one.

SealPup, ThylacineAlive and Tim May like this.
  9. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

I can't stand people calling venomous animals poisonous, and to a minor degree people calling any crocodilian they see an alligator.

I also hate when people clearly don't know what they are looking at in a zoo and call it something completely false to sound smart to their child, even when a sign is directly below them. (Many people call the lowland anoa at the fort worth zoo a goat, for instance)

10. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I agree entirely.

I find extraneous threads about pizza toppings, ice cream, favourite chocolate, worst school teachers, music, football and all other totally irrelevant topics infuriating.

ZooChat should be restricted to zoological topics.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2017
    FBBird and Batto like this.
  11. Chlidonias

but that's why it's the Zoo Cafe. It's like if you go to a Johnny Cash concert you're not necessarily just going to be talking about Johnny Cash while sitting in the Western-styled snacks bar outside. You're also going to be talking about how your car almost got hit by a runaway horse on the way there, or how your Aunt Bea thinks there are ghosts living in her teapot, or wondering why the Western-style bar is serving sauerkraut.

12. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh, man, that drives me nuts. I'll give a pass if the exhibit has no sign, or the sign isn't clearly visible, but the rest of the time there's no excuse. I thought the whole point of going to a zoo was to learn?! Bugs me even more when they say it to their kid.

d1am0ndback and ThylacineAlive like this.
  13. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Personally I'm fine with most pets, even if it's not something I'd care to own myself. But I'm not a fan of breeding animals with such extreme features that it makes them less healthy. I'm not talking about inbreeding (but that's bad too) but even a "well-bred" dog with a super smooshed in face is gonna have breathing problems. When I see dogs that can't run ten feet without getting tired, it makes me sad, they can't do all of the doggy things that they want to do. :(

Most of my pet-related pet peeves have more to do with the owners. I hate when people get pets without doing their research and then get rid of it or neglect it when it turns out to be more work than they wanted.

14. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It is highly unlikey, for example, that anybody would contribute posts on, say, small cat taxonomy to a football discussion forum.

Similarly, it is improbable that anybody would use a music discussion forum to debate the captive breeding of Sumatran rhinoceroses.

Why then discuss miscellaneous irrelevant topics on ZooChat?

pipaluk likes this.
  15. Chlidonias

same with today's kids.

When I see kids that can't run ten feet without getting tired, it makes me sad, they can't do all of the kiddy things that they want to do.

TheMightyOrca and Zooplantman like this.
  16. Chlidonias

so, I just went to a football forum (the first one that came up when I googled "football forums"), went to the off-topic section and the very first non-sticky thread is called "Trivial things that annoy you" (Trivial things that annoy you). Hmm, same as this thread! :p

Then I went to a music forum (ditto), went to the off-topic section and the very first non-sticky thread is called "The Bitch Box" (The Bitch Box - Music Banter). Hmm, much the same as this thread! :p

A very quick search on the latter forum about music produced a thread called "your fave zoo animal" which is seven pages long. Gosh.

The point is that every forum has an off-topic section for subjects not related to the main reason for the forum's existence. It is for the purpose of creating a community. Most people aren't solely interested in zoos, or music, or football. They have other interests but not necessarily strong enough to bother joining a forum specifically about that subject. So instead they can use the off-topic to talk about Dr. Who or potatoes or if J.K.Rowling stole the word "muggles".

CGSwans and ThylacineAlive like this.
  17. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nope, that's not it. You already started the thread "Species you hate to see in zoos". Where is so much hate coming from? Especially from a whippersnapper from one of the wealthiest and generelly most content countries in the world?

[​IMG]

18. Chlidonias

Yoda also said "Control, control, you must learn control!"

19. animalszoos

Hmm ever heard white tigers are inbred, not purebred?

20. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I think you may find that taking a shot at Carl Jones when it comes to breeding may not have the effect you think it will.