Join our zoo community

Biggest 'Pet' Hate

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by animalszoos, 2 Apr 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

*thinking*... I'm sure there are other long threads about the things people say in zoos...

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  2. Chlidonias

so, wait ... this is a pet hate, or she was hating on your pet choice, or she hated your pet, or you hated her pet choice, or your pet hate is people hating on your choice of pets because they hate them?

I am so confused.

And sad and hungry.

Mostly hungry.

Be back later.

3. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think it was quite pet-ty of her to reject your pet choices :p sorry not sorry.

4. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

5. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

No point trying to reason with these people,just ignore them.I keep reptiles but I don't talk down to people who like dogs.In fact, the dog owners are sometimes more interested in my pets than their own sometimes.

Water Dragon likes this.
  6. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

"But here are two things that it’s not: 1) Cute and 2) Cuddly. No snuggling? Major minus points." Clearly they did zero research before writing this article...

"Technically called the Pogona". Well actually technically that's the genus name, not the name of the four species.

"However, Wallabies are incredibly finicky and require a lot of space" So do dogs...

"Plus, they can get reach up to 6 feet in height." That's Kangaroos.

"The Python may seem like a neat conversation starter, as well a pet that will bump you up to bad-butt status. That is, until it eats you. " In 2016 in America their were 30 human deaths that were caused by dogs, but since 1978 in America there has only been 17 human deaths caused by large constrictors, and thats not even limited to the Burmese Python.

ThylacineAlive and Water Dragon like this.
  7. Komodo99

That and a Burmese python is incapable of swallowing an adult human being.

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I would not rule out the possibility altogether, given the fact that they can and do eat adult deer on occasion!

9. Chlidonias

animal_expert01 likes this.
  10. Komodo99

They can consume large prey items such as alligators and deer as you mentioned but the circumstances to which a large constrictor would have to be suitable to consuming a adult human would be very restrictive.The animal would have to at least exceed 25ft as a rough estimate to get anywhere near suitable size.

11. Komodo99

I know that and I understand it is nothing but satire.Too stupid to be taken seriously.

12. Chlidonias

well it's more the case that the reason it's not to be taken seriously is simply because the whole article is a joke which isn't meant to be taken seriously. Your responses, such as "No point trying to reason with these people, just ignore them" suggested to me that you didn't understand this. My apologies if this was not the case.

13. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

I admit I hate computers and mobiles and tablets and such. It gets too confusing. Only tech stuff I ever liked was consoles and you have to set those up nowadays.

14. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hey look at that donkey

(miniature horse)

15. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For me its Pitbulls. I've heard so many stories of them attacking pets and people. A friend of the family has one and it always acts like its top dog in the house (even though its a mix) and the other dogs are twice its size. Several years ago, a friend and I were walking along on a sidewalk, and an red 80+lb pitbull started to charge. The owner called it back 20 feet before it got to us and thank goodness he did! I have no qualms about defending myself and letting my inner cassowary out if a pit went into attacking mode. When I took karate a long time ago, I had to wear socks because my nails would grow so fast and the instructor said I had "a vicious kick". I am the last thing an attacking Pit would want to see! I just don't trust them because I know how unpredictable they can be. Other dog breeds however I'm fine with and enjoy their company.
    [​IMG]

16. ZooBinh

Many pit bulls are aggressive because of how they were raised. Abused and neglected. Do you think pit bulls should be banned?

17. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes. Stop breeding, neuter, spay them and let them go naturally extinct just like phasing out a species in an AZA accredited zoo.

18. ZooBinh

Well, I love pitbulls and they deserve a chance.

19. ZooBinh

Let’s leave it there

20. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Been seeing more irresponsible husky ownership in the past few years and it drives me nuts. People are all like "Oh, they're so pretty, they look like wolves, I'm gonna get one!" and then they're shocked to find out that a dog that was bred to pull sleds through hundreds of miles of snow has a LOT of energy. (in addition, they're stubborn, they shed a lot, they can be noisy, and they're total escape artists) A distressing amount of people think that if you raise an animal (domestic or wild) a certain way, it overcomes any instinct and breeding. (which is where you get those stories of stupid people who get pet tigers and then get mauled) Husky rescues these days are so full.

Another bad side effect of this is that there are more puppy mills and backyard breeders producing more huskies to keep up with demand. And of course, these are unhealthy and badly bred dogs. The husky has always been a fairly healthy breed and now I'm seeing a bunch of people who think that it's normal for them to have major stomach problems.

Huskies are great dogs and all (I had a mix until last year and I hope to get another husky mix when I'm ready for another dog) but honestly, they're bad pets for the average person.

Sarus Crane likes this.