Join our zoo community

Bilby conservation

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Zuki-pah, 26 Jul 2006.

1. Zuki-pah

Zuki-pah New Member

:confused:

Last edited: 23 Apr 2007
  2. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Monarto in South Australia has them. They had two on display in the shop. They told me the ones on display are rotated with others and I presume they have a breeding program.

3. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Here's the current figures for members of ARAZPA:

Greater Bilby [Qld] Macrotis lagotis

Dreamworld 2. 3
    Taronga Zoo 0. 4

Greater Bilby [NT] Macrotis lagotis sagitta
    Adelaide Zoo 0. 2
    Alice Springs Desert Park 3. 1.
    Currumbin Sanctuary 2. 0
    Healesville Sanctuary 0. 1
    Melbourne Zoo 0. 2
    Monarto Zoo 10. 5
    Perth Zoo 1. 1
    Cleland Wildlife Park 0. 2
    Taronga Zoo 2. 0

There's a regional captive breeding program managed by ARAZPA staff, and there are also a number of bilbys in non-ARAZPA institutions, including Peron Captive Breeding Centre, and of course, the Earth Sanctuaries properties.

4. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

whats the deal with tassie devils at the moment? anyone know if ARAZPA is planning firing up the breeding program a little more in the light of DFTD?

i would have though establishing a strong disease free mainland population in zoos would be a smart bet (though evidence seems to suggest its a non- airborne disease).

by the way did anyone know there have apparently been reports of roadkills of devils in the victorian countryside? some belive they may still be wanding the ranforests of gippsland (no doubt hanging with the tigers!)...

5. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are no plans to breed the two different subspecies together. And I guess not all the zoos want to breed them, or might not be in a situation to house too many animals. I'm not sure what the regional breeding program is planning for the next little while, so can't be sure.

6. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

My understanding is that ARAZPA is working with the Tasmanian government to establish additional mainland populations of disease-free animals, but no doubt, there's logistical issues associated with this. And finding sufficient suitable spaces in zoos for a large breeding population is not always an easy thing.

I've heard of a road kill in the western suburbs of Sydney a while ago! An escapeefrom the now defunct Australia's Wonderland.

7. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

geez, it always seems to come back to the old "space issue" eh? sure, i can understand that it costs a reasonable degree of money to build even the simplest of tiger or great ape enclosures and this doesn't take into account the space that it takes up. however small mammals such as porcupines, bilbies, otters, agouti, patagonian cavies, marmosets, loris', tamarins, even tree kangaroos and binturongs are all very easily accomodated. i would like to see the zoos take one years time out from immersion exhibit building - just to spend the annual budget for such instead on building facilities, off exhibit if need be, to hold larger populations of so many of these species. it seems the apparent "lack of space" is just far too much a constant compromise on breeding programs for the issue not to be addressed in the short-term.

8. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Symbio wildlife reserve, which I think is in Wooloongong has just been given permission to import two female tassie devils for a breeding program. Apparently they are the first Australian zoo/wildlife park to be given permission in five years.

9. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

We are trying to breed em down here we have 2 pair at monarto and 1 at adelaide

the 2 pairs at monarto are in the NPWS area, so not on isis