Join our zoo community

Bird Collection Help?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by AdrianW1963, 5 Sep 2018.

1. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Having now done Birdworld & Underwater world, Birdland park & gardens, Cotswold birds of prey centre, Hagley falconry centre, Cotswold wildlife park, Twycross zoo, Slimbridge WWT, London zoo, Chester zoo, Tropical birdland, & Blackpool zoo for the bird collections I was wondering if we have anymore good bird collections in England that I should visit to get my captive bird species list even better.

I am looking to do 2 more collections before the end of the year along with a few more already arranged but the 2 have good bird collections held within them.

Please remember I must travel by public transport and are currently living in the West Midlands which gives me a good chance to travel to most areas by train.

I was thinking of doing Lotherton Hall early in the new year but will be doing the following before the end of the year Chester zoo, Dudley zoo, Hagley falconry centre, Birmingham nature centre, Birmingham botanical gardens & Akamba Tropical House

Any help would be very welcome and any input as to species held in the collections would be a wonderful help

2. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Exmoor zoo has a good bird collection, especially cranes and storks. There is a bus service from Barnstaple - see the zoo website for how to get there.

3. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you're interested in rare parrots, there are some nice species at Drayton Manor which is not far and you might find a coach trip there, even in the winter when the entry prices are more reasonable.