Join our zoo community

Shedd Aquarium Birdsandbats' Underwater Beauty review

Discussion in 'United States' started by birdsandbats, 22 Jan 2019.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Date of visit: December 28 2018

Underwater Beauty is the special exhibit currently at Shedd Aquarium. Although the special exhibits from the past few years have featured a particular taxa (Reptiles, Jellies, and Amphibians) this exhibit is very different.

This exhibit fells very different than any zoo or aquarium complex I have ever visited. Most complexes focus on animals from a certain geographical area or taxon or even habitat. Sure, all the animals here are aquatic animals, but this dosen't fell like being in an aquarium at all. Underwater Beauty fells like, no, is an art gallery.

Most (though not all) of the exhibits here feature one species in an exhibit that is not designed to show the species' natural habitat, but to compliment the species in the tank. The habitat and the animals inside are collectively a work of art. Here are(the only) two examples from the gallery:

[​IMG]
    Color Wall by @Zoological Point

[​IMG]
    Peacock Mantis Shrimp tank by @birdsandbats

As you can see, these exhibits are beautiful.

The animal care is no concern, either. I know the concept of beauty being the priority makes it sound as though the animal care is neglected, but the animals receive the same world class exhibits and care as the rest of the aquarium.

TheGerenuk and Zoological Point like this.
  2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really liked this exhibit! I agree it felt a lot like a museum exhibit (but then, so did most of the aquarium’s ground floor). I wish the aquarium would have installed this and the previous temporary exhibit permanently though. This one is wonderful, and the previous was a fantastic exhibition of amphibians that I wish I got to see myself.

birdsandbats likes this.
  3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree I wish both of those were permanent!