Join our zoo community

Wisconsin Rapids Municipal Zoo Birdsandbats' Wisconsin Rapids Municipal Zoo Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by birdsandbats, 9 Jul 2018.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This zoo has no website or social media. This is the closest thing they have to a site: Zoo

Date of Visit: July 6 2018 (my second visit)

Wisconsin Rapids Municipal Zoo is a non-AZA zoological facility located in Wisconsin Rapids, WI.

There is little known about this zoo. I don't know how many acres it is. I don't know when it opened. There is almost no info about this zoo on the internet. This is probably the most information ever posted about this zoo before.

Entrance
    After driving past a sign with the zoo logo (looks suspiciously like Milwaukee's), and park in the parking lot, you will see a playground and a building called HeLeN's ZoO HouSe. HeLeN's ZoO HouSe may be rented out for parties. After that, just walk through the gate and you are in. Admission is free.

Children's Petting Zoo
    Children's Petting Zoo is the only "official" complex here, and is mostly indoors. It is inside a barn. Inside the barn, there a pens with straw as bedding. On the left hand side, there are two pens. One for a baby Alpaca, the other for a baby Domestic Cow. On the other side, the animals are adults. One contains two Domestic Goats, the other has two Domestic Sheep. At the end, there is sort of a weird plastic tub, but not quite a tub. It's sort of a shallow tub, with a smaller tub coming out the bottom. Two Painted Turtles live here. The smaller bottom tub thing has three rocks and some water. This exhibit has no naturalism whatsoever, but is functional. There is also an exhibit for African Spurred Tortoises that is usually a walk-through, but there was construction going on in there, so you couldn't go in. But the tortoises were still there.

Duck Pond
    A strange exhibit. A large yard with a cement pool that is painted blue. Around the pool, the substrate is rocks and concrete. Away from it, it's a lawn. There are all sorts of weird sculptures in here, not sure why. This exhibit contains two Domestic Greylag Geese, a pair of Black Swans with 5 cygnets, and for some reason, a Llama.

Ring-Tailed Lemur exhibit
    A corncrib cage with a cement bottom. There is also a nest box and two wooden poles. While it has lots of climbing opportunities, the biggest downfall of this exhibit is the cement. But, overall, not actually that bad.

Porcupine and Skunk exhibits
    These exhibits can be found next to the duck pond, and are strange. They are nearly identical, and appear to be going for the theme of "living room with fireplace". Each one has a bunch of stacked that look like a fireplace and a chimney. They also have climbing branches and hollow logs to hide in. The first one contains an African Crested Porcupine. The other contains a white Striped Skunk (signed as a spotted skunk).

South American Mammals
    These two exhibits are very outdated. Let's talk about the outdoor areas first. They are made completely of cement, each with a giant pit in one of the corners. Each one also has a tire swing. But the outdoor areas here aren't necessarily bad, just outdated. The indoor exhibits, though. Each exhibit also has an indoor area, which is very dark and too small.

The first exhibit contains several Patagonian Cavies. The second contains two South American Coatis. The coatis were very active and calling. The cavies were being fed marshmallows for some reason.

Amazon Parrot exhibit
    This, interestingly enough, used to be a prairie dog exhibit. That's about the only history there is known about the place. Because of that, the substrate is loose soil. But, in this new exhibit, there is flight room, branches, and a nest box with food in it. There are two parrots living here, a Yellow-Headed Amazon and a Yellow-Crowned Amazon.

Large Yards
    For the last animal exhibits here, there are two large yards that are the zoo's best exhibits. Each has a barn. The first one contains two Greater Rheas. It also has one of those giant cow brushes for some reason. The next contains equines. It has Domestic Horses, Domestic Donkeys, and a Zedonk. I find hybrid animals fascinating, so I do love a good Zedonk.

What the zoo really is
    After visiting twice, I can tell you this is really not a zoo. It's a botanical garden. This "zoo" is filled with gardens that are up-kept by the Master Gardeners of Wisconsin Rapids. The gardens here are beautiful, and there are more gardens here than animals. Sorry, but I can't tell you the quality of the gardens or anything like that. I didn't even take many flower pictures. Sorry. But BotanicGardenChat might have a review.

Conservation Efforts
    ???

Overall it's a nice zoo, if super teeny tiny. It's about half an hour away from the excellent Wildwood Zoo, so if you visit Wildwood, you can probably visit WRMZ also. If enough ZooChatters visit, maybe we will actually learn something about the zoo. Amazingly, we know more about Dallas World Aquarium than this place.

Species List
    Mammals (13 species)
    Ring-Tailed Lemur
    African Crested Porcupine
    Patagonian Cavy
    Llama
    Alpaca
    Domestic Cow
    Domestic Goat
    Domestic Sheep
    Domestic Horse
    Domestic Donkey
    Mountain Zebra x Domestic Donkey (hybrid)
    Striped Skunk
    South American Coati
    Birds (5 species)
    Greater Rhea
    Domestic Greylag Goose
    Black Swan
    Yellow-Headed Amazon
    Yellow-Crowned Amazon
    Reptiles (2 species)
    African Spurred Tortoise
    Painted Turtle
    Amphibians (0 species)
    N/A
    Fish (0 species)
    N/A
    Inverts (0 species)
    N/A

Awards
    The Zoo We Know Least About

Hardest News Thread To Update

The Zoo It Is Easiest To Make Conspiracy Theories About

Most Mysterious History

ZooElephantMan, Jambo, Yi Qi and 2 others like this.
  2. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

What breeds are the cow, goat, sheep, horse, and donkey?

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The cow is a Holstien. I think the goats are African Pygmy. Don't know about the sheep and donkey.

4. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling me.