Join our zoo community

Taronga Western Plains Zoo births at western plains

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jay, 7 Mar 2005.

1. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Western plains zoo has been busy.
    Along with a zebra filly there has also been the birth of four cheetah cubs and another white rhino so far this year. No details, I'm waiting on a reply from taronga zoo.
    Jason

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

mogo and hyenas...

mogo zoo, that small private zoo in bateman's bay that is fast becoming one of the biggest zoo's in australia has some news as well.

a new female serval to pair with their male, two female red pandas and perth zoo's ruffed lemur pair have all arrived at the zoo recently.

in addition to this, their recently imported siamang family has a new member - a baby girl born in december.

- glad to hear bout the rhino birth at western plains.

one other thing, recently i saw the ISIS website now has monarto listed as holding a female hyena. this is in addition to the pair held at perth, the only hyenas i knew of in this country.

know anything bout this jason?

3. jay

thanks for that info, I had missed all that.

further to the western plains info.

four cheetah cubs were born, two male and two female - mother is Malika, father is Jala.
    The white rhino calf born in january was a female, Amira. She had to be handraised as her mother developed mediacl problems. The second calf is named Inyetti (m or f?)
    Jason

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Got to get back down to Mogo zoo soon by the sounds of it - we were quite impressed with all the new development there when we were down that way before Christmas 2003. We really like that zoo - no crowds :D

5. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Mogo Zoo

I notice that Taronga Park and Dubbo Zoo are both under the umbrella of Zoo NSW ( or similar ) , and that Melbourne , Healesville and Werribee are together as another umbrella gpoup .

Obviously the groups are overseen by a central management system , and all zoos in the group share the same benefits such as marketing , without having to do all of the work on their own .

Does Zoo NSW have a criteria as to the standards of a zoo in the state to be part of their group ? Is it possible or feasible for Mogo to apply to be part of their network ?

6. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i'de sure that the NSW goverment would have minimum standards for animal exhibits, care etc, but that would be the extent of their association with mogo zoo. unlike taronga and western plains, mogo zoo is privately owned by the padey's, a couple who have built it up from scratch in the last decade or so (and i think they deserve a big pat on the back, because they have obviously been VERY busy).

Western Plains Zoo in dubbo on the otherhand, was founded by the govenment-funded zoo board of NSW - the zoo even acquired unused military land in dubbo to build the zoo to house surplus taronga hoofstock (werribee and monarto had similar starts to life).

i don't think theres much chance of mogo becoming a government funded zoo, wouldn't the padey's have to sell it to the government first? as if they would do that, they already have the trust and support of all the statutory zoos as is!

monarto and adelaide are also one and the same (zoos south australia), and it appears the trend in australia is for the states to have one city zoo and one open-range zoo. of course perth zoo has no sister open-range facility (though its on the planning table) and queensland, NT and ACT don't have and public zoos at all!

7. jay

Nor do the two states intend to do so. There was some talk a year or so ago about opening up a zoo on the site of the old Bearnuars zoo in Hobart. The state govt quashed that saying that if any 'zoo' was to be there then it would be basically a hospital for injured native wildlife with a reserve, very similar to Healesville. The govt seemed very down on having non native fauna on display in the state.

As regards Queensland - I would love to have a properly run state run zoo in Brisbane - would I ever!!!
    However it would seem that Steve Irwins zoo is going to take that place- except that it seems to be becoming a bit more of a circus. Steve just can't resist making a show of his interaction with all the animals (elephants and tigers and cheetahs alike) Oh for a Melbourne or Perth type of zoo.
    Jason

8. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Australia zoo

Jason, Australia zoo is now 500 acres and growing, I guess as we know this is going to be better than having no zoo in Queensland at all and in time I think they will tone down a bit with there show, they seem to have the money to spend on the new zoo so thats going to help make the place real good over the next few years.

Mark