Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Black lion tamarins

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Writhedhornbill, 19 May 2007.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Have they bred at Chester zoo? Someone told me that they had.

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have heard that black lion tamarins have bred at Chester myself, maybe they bred earlier this year but the babies died. I'm sure they will breed sometime soon though.

3. Writhedhornbill

Yes. They have had brilliant sucess with the geoffroy's marmoset. No male pied tamarin for the female yet though.....

4. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

how are tamarins displayed here, as in free range, exhibits like zoopro showed from london, large aivary like exhibit? on and off exhibit breeding?

5. Writhedhornbill

I have some pictures which I'll put up but I'll give you a basic Idea.

There are 3 species; Pied and black lion tamarins and geoffroy's marmoset.
    There are 0.1 pied tamarins
    there are 1.1 balck lion tamarins
    There was a pair of Geoffroy's marmoset but they've had so many Babies I've lost count. You'll have to Check on ISIS.

There are 2 seperate enclosures. One for the pied tamarins, which don't often get on with other species, and one for the geoffroy's marmoset and black lion tamarins. The animals have outside areas with a path running in between the 2 exhibits. There are trees for them to climb and small windows on the ground. These windows were for the Azara's agoutis which were in this exhibit until they escaped. Now they reside in a macaw aviary. There are very low fences as the monkeys feel like this exhibit is their territory and don't want to leave it. Many other zoos use this idea.

Inside there are lots of tropical plants and bushes for the animals to use. Visitors can see the animals by looking at them through the glass, if they are not outside.

This area covers 1700 metres squared and is one of the zoos must see attractions.

6. Writhedhornbill

Now chester only has 1.0 What's happened now?