Join our zoo community

Blackpool Zoo Blackpool Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zoofan15, 10 Jan 2021.

1. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looking at it that way makes me quite the philanthropist, with considerable donanations each month to my landlord, Shell, Lidl and the Dutch government :)

JamesB, Pootle and Quincey like this.
  2. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not picky at all, I simply understand the difference between a donation and a purchase :)

Pootle likes this.
  3. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

See, now you understand better, you feel better about yourself :):p:)

And no slacking on your Lidl donations as I am quite fond of them myself.

4. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Good, then maybe you can see that some of the gross profit from the shop, restaurants etc, can be and is used to improve the zoo to some degree. Therefore people (the thoughtful ones I add) like you who spend extra on food, drink and gifts etc, are giving the zoo extra profit, much like someone chucking a few quid in a donation box.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The difference between purchasing something and donating is that the amount (let's say ten pounds) goes fully to the zoo if you donate that, but if you spend ten pounds at the cafe or gift shop the amount that the zoo actually "profits" is pretty minimal because the items you purchased had to be bought by the zoo in the first place. So you are only fooling yourself by saying that you are donating that money by spending it there.

Quincey likes this.
  6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

There is a material difference between spending money at a charity enterprise such as RZSS or a commercial one such as Parques Reunidos though!

You're not going to give extra money to a company that's taking a profit out of their earnings beyond what the goods or services cost - however much we approve of Blackpool Zoo, Faunia or Walsrode, and want them to succeed. You would 'donate' only if they have a dedicated fund for a particular cause (which in these cases I would only expect to apply to their supported conservation projects, not general operations and development funds).

EDIT: Sorry, @Chlidonias - we cross-posted - that was a contribution to the general discussion, not a response to your post. :)

Quincey and Benosaurus like this.
  7. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Bit harsh saying fooling myself! Anyhow...

Your missing my point here. Say 'The Qunicey Family' spent £50 at the zoo on food, drinks and gifts in addition to the £50 entry fee, then they are donating more to the zoos gross profit than say the 'Pootle Family' who only spent £50 on zoo entry, took a packed lunch and no gift shop money.

8. Maguari

None of that is a donation though! I think we are just arguing semantics here but it's an important difference.

The first family are spending more money and it can be assumed the zoo won't be selling snacks and gifts at a loss so will end up with at least some extra money but the family are still not 'donating' anything as they are getting goods and services in return.

That's why charity zoos have to have an 'optional donation' on top of their entrance fees to qualify for Gift Aid - the basic entrance fee is paying a fee for a service (access to the zoo) and the transaction has to include an explicit donation (voluntary and with nothing provided in return) for Gift Aid to apply.

Pootle and Quincey like this.
  9. Chlidonias

But if the Pootle family took a packed lunch, bought nothing in the gift shop, and donated £50 directly to the zoo, then they gave more than the Quincey family did when they spent that £50 on goods at the zoo. That's because giving a donation to a zoo isn't the same as spending money at a zoo.

Edit: and, yes, now I am cross-posting with @Maguari. Turns and roundabouts, or whatever that English saying is and whatever it means...

Pootle, Maguari and Quincey like this.
  10. Maguari

"Swings and roundabouts" is where you're aiming. Means everything comes back around eventually. ;)

11. Chlidonias

Oh, like a playground? I was thinking roundabouts like for traffic at an intersection.

Maguari likes this.
  12. Maguari

That's the one! :D

13. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

At least one thing we can all agree on is that it is swings and roundabouts, that is positive, which incidentally means - a situation in which different actions or options result in no eventual gain or loss (now I read it I can see where this is going.....:D)_

However, if the Qunicey family (who I am sure are lovely) go to said restaurant and spend say £50 then they are giving / contributing / providing / bequeathing - aka donating to the gross profits of the zoo much more so that the Pootle family who took their own food and bought nothing at the zoo (as the Dad is a bit mean).

So, therefore zoos have gifts shops and cafes, for peoples needs but mainly to make extra income which is an indirect donation (contributing extra money) to the zoo when the visitors spend their cash at these facilities....

14. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Anyone have a up to date Bird species list for the collection please?

15. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You could email or message the zoo to see if they will send you a copy of their most recent species list. It can be a bit hit-or-miss, but it is the best way to get a good idea of what they have.

16. Themonkeyguy1

Themonkeyguy1 Well-Known Member

Another Pileated gibbon born to Ivy and Chamoa. Their first successful offspring, Dobbie has been moved to the enclosure near the Lake View Cafe with the single male, Seronimo.

17. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

A friend of mine recently went to Blackpool Zoo with her family, I haven't been since I was a teenager in the mid 2000's so I was unaware of many of the changes they've made, so I was impressed when she showed me photos of the new elephant enclosure. I'm planning a visit early next year, either in February (assuming everything is still open in February) or May. From what I've heard their Lemur walkthrough is still closed, but for those who go regularly, can the lemurs still be seen at all from outside the walkthrough?

TNT likes this.
  18. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

@Jambi I've seen them being fed by the exit of the walkthrough, which is spacious and gives good views to visitors

19. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

That's good to know, thanks very much!

20. Themonkeyguy1

Themonkeyguy1 Well-Known Member

For the first time since 2010, a red panda has been born.

catfan and Fallax like this.