Join our zoo community

Rotterdam Zoo Blijdorp News 2022

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by JurassicMax, 4 Jan 2022.

1. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

2. JurassicMax

The two spotted hyena's have now been introduced to eachother, the introduction went quite well.

Source:
    Instagram of Diergaarde Blijdorp (04/01/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/CYUQvZSqnbb/

Kifaru Bwana, Dustin1999 and Antoine like this.
  3. Blijdorpenaar

Blijdorpenaar Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The annual new years lecture took place today! Thats the event where the Rotterdam Zoo traditionally has shown its new ambitions and plans. A brief summary:

- The Mountain Rock in the northeastern corner of the zoo is nearing completion and will be host to red panda's and tufted deer, two species for which the Zoo is the EEP-coordinator.
    - After a long period of speculation its finally official: the bird demonstrations are permanently cancelled. The demolition of these structures will coincide with the renovation of Amazonica's roof and the development of the new macaw aviary. Speaking of which...
    - Influenza outbreaks are more and more common and the zoo will concider this for the design of the new South American aviaries. It also has ramifications for Burung Asia, the large Asian swamp aviary...
    - As the zoo confirms construction of the new male elephant enclosure will start this year. New images show two "eleducts" that will tie up this whole project: one connecting the current Indian rhino enclosure, which will host new stables, to the current camel enclosure and one which connects the camel enclosure, partly across the current site of Burung Asia, to the exisiting elephant enclosure. Details remain vague, though there are ambitions for a new restaurant/terrace and some form of cohabitation with another species.
    - The old Indian rhino female will scootch over to the currently abandoned deer enclosure thats behind the Mountain Rock. All and all a new 'Himalaya loop' will be realised: from the old Toko Tjitjak and the mountain rock, past the rhinos and into the pre-existing panda enclosure.
    - Restauration of the Rivièrahal is still in limbo, with financial limitations and the immense knockon effect it has.
    - Gorilla Nasibu will move to Pairi Daiza come April, where he'll be the head of a group of females.

For the complete (Dutch) text + photos: Nieuwjaarslezing 2022!

Yunha, pachyderm pro, Antoine and 8 others like this.
  4. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

Any visualisation of what the himalaya loop will be as in route? And 'howmany' enclosures will be on that route?

JurassicMax likes this.
  5. Blijdorpenaar

All images that were shown are also posted on that link. If you look at the map you can see itll be three enclosures: the rock, rhinos and the already existing panda enclosure. There is however still quite some surface area behind/around the rock with which nothing is being done just yet, so this could be expanded on a little in the future.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. JurassicMax

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks of the update. I really like the way Blijdorp is developing, especially how they give more space to the species that they have a special connection with like red pandas, tufted deer, and Asian elephants. I'm still a bit skeptical about the elephant expansion and I can't shake the belief that it might have been better had they given up elephants altogether and instead focused on the Indian rhinos and other Asian/Indian species, but I guess we'll have to see how it all develops. I would love to be proven wrong in this case!

Blijdorpenaar, Dustin1999 and Antoine like this.
  8. Blijdorpenaar

- Last december Rotterdam Zoo got a male Mindanao bleeding heart pigeon from Zoo Landau, a new species.
    - The zoo got some extra marbled teals, some of which were placed with the flamingo's. The gadwalls were moved to the big pond next to the tigers.
    - Some yellow necked spurfowl were born in the okapi enclosure last december, the Rüppells vultures are also breeding.
    - Some (largely unspecified) changes will be made to the big pond in order to increase water quality and biodiversity, a project that will be shaped by the Technical University Delft, who recently also pumped out some new educational displays.
    - The beached Kemp's ridley sea turtle that the zoo took in last year, sadly passed away shortly after arrival.
    - Some pretty big births among the reptiles last december: two Testudo kleinmanni's, three gila monsters and two Komodo dragons.

Jana, JoJo22, Kifaru Bwana and 5 others like this.
  9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The whole elephant expansion and sacrifising the east part with Indian rhino area, camel yards and Burung Asia area for one species. It destroys the entire parkland area of the zoo as well as the diversity of it. Blijdorp is fast becoming a ride attraction and not a conservation minded zoo. Too many outside AR PR glib for my tastes.

A total disaster.

Zorro likes this.
  10. Blijdorpenaar

That seems a bit harsh to me. Getting rid of domesticated camels going against conservation? Please.

The arrival of black rhinos was always meant to be the beginning of the end for the (less endangered) Indian rhinos, whose enclosure has caused all sorts of foot ailments. And while I do love birds personally, you also have to admit that Burung Asia (30 years old now) has never been an amazing aviary for the actual animals. Lots of accidents with birds flying into the mesh. With the exception of (non endangered) night herrons and ibisses never much succes with offspring. Thats even assuming that they go for this specific plan, in some scenarios the aviary stays...

Even if they extended this plan into the remainder of the swamp, you're looking at the loss of one primate (whose enclosure is already small and that might be able to moved to some other part of the park), a small, outdated aviary and a non-netted crain enclosure which is surely not long for this world anyway.

The Asian elephant studbook might be messy, but at the same time there are actual plans to work on small, local reintroductions once they sort out the bloodlines.

kiang, IndianRhino, Keith and 3 others like this.
  11. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I feel like I am somewhere in the middle here. I do think it is good, conservation wise, for Blijdorp to focus more on their focal species which includes Asian elephants. If they want to be taken seriously when it comes to elephants, and I think they do want that, they really should expand and improve their elephant holding. Furthermore, it might be a massive improvement on animal welfare, which is a very good thing. There is not a lot, conservation wise, that will be sacrificed in this plan.

On the other hand, elephants would be the one focal species I - had I been in the director's shoes - might have decided to let go. Because they are enormously expensive, because they require so much space and because keeping them in a city zoo will likely only become more and not less controversial in the future. Blijdorp does sacrifice part of it's diverse animal collection to this plan (though I suspect Burung Asia might not have survived long in its current form even without the elephant plans), but honestly I am not convinced that is a huge problem: the zoo still houses a substantial and attractive collection of animals. The missed opportunity I see, is that the enormous expanse of space that will be dedicated to elephants could have been transformed for several smaller, equally endangered and less expensive species, in genuinely world-class exhibits that will not become controversial within the next two decades.

But that's just my opinion. Don't take it too seriously.

12. Kifaru Bwana

The critically endangered species I was actually referring to for the camel area WAS the Persian onager, a species with a total global population of less than 700-800 individuals and not faring well either in situ nor in captivity (after an initial good representation amongs European and North American zoos following the famous Hagenbeck capture expeditions in Central Asia). This species was phased out as deemed a donkey and not a globally endangered taxon of equid.

In terms of other species potentially lost in this area: Burma brow antlered deer, Sulawesi crested macaque (I cannot see them re-appear somewhere else within the zoo), white-naped and red-crowned crane, open-billed stork and some of Eurasian ibis species (I seem to remember spoonbills as well, but maybe not of late) and the wader birds they held). BTW: the Lake really needs to have a make-over shame the lemur island development could not proceed ...., we all know why (listed building status and cultural heritage and an haphazard duck species pond with an invasive US reptile trade turtle species resident)!

Given the amount of space and acreage of the Blijdorp Zoo I would factor in most definitely more endangered taxa in the foreseen new development for Asiatic elephants. While I do recognise their importance for Rotterdam as studbook keeper and setting the pace for European collections animal welfare and husbandry wise, I do find the amount of space given over as planned now to Asiatic elephants is taking away from the diversity and an overall representative collection of animals encompassing all major orders (the zoo becomes thin on birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish which was not so the case before and where other Dutch zoos did not have time nor space to do so. Hell damn Rotterdam was my fave Dutch zoo till now).

Having focal species - another argument - is fine for all zoos and can play out alongside a diverse collection. Where other zoos lack both space and acreage Rotterdam could be so much more and I do think that for visitors - certainly not the die hard zoo fanatics - a zoo with less visibility in species and large tracts for just the one thing will become a bit of a bore (and truthfully putting the Francois langur in the bat cave over their current location in the fitting Chinese Asiatic garden will mean they will most likely be ignored along the pathway with elephant, elephant and elephant).

Also, what I deem the most urgent refit is the Riviera Hall and the current plans for this area also means less animals - and there are big questionmarks over the black rhino and pygmy hippo in the proposed new gorilla habitat (I would say their indoor needs a refit, not the outdoor habitat). Remember that area has changed significantly already with addax gone and possibly also bongo falling by the way side (there is talk of new stalls with the new elephant development, but what does that mean). I am not even beginning to contemplate how a shining light the former Riviera Hall was despite its structural issues and which have been allowed by city and national cultural heritage listing agencies to crumble and crumble to the point that the building is to become a permanent risk and likely to collapse with all that this entails in endangering the general visiting public). Some may remember Messrs. Zwartpoorte et al who made the Riviera Hall a path for discovering the bird, reptile and amphibian diversity of our Planet along with great achievements in breeding endangered and rarely seen species in western zoos). I fear that before long and given the current planned path of bigger elephant area and investment in the millions here the Riviera Hall will be permanently closed before long.

Also, on the front of losing species, takin, goral, anoa, babirusa all gone - animal species that made Blijdorp a breath of fresh air to visit and gave it a leading position among European zoo collections. As for the Bird Aviary not working in its present form, that should have been fixed too and I remember we already had a half-baked attempt at renovating it previously that did not address the bird species needs' for nesting and other animal welfare concerns).

NOTA BENE: till date Rotterdam - Blijdorp has always been my fave zoo in the Netherlands and I am an Amsterdam Artis resident and also active as a member of the general public there. Which IS saying something (mind I have never ever subscribed to this peculiar Amsterdam-Rotterdam adversaries attitude amongst some ..., live and let live and both have some good qualities to enjoy).

Last edited: 25 Jan 2022
    Zorro likes this.
  13. Kifaru Bwana

I think the hatching has been allowed to proceed for purposes of having the female and male breed, however the eggs were not needed nor recommended within the EEP/EAZA framework.

JurassicMax and Mr Gharial like this.
  14. Blijdorpenaar

Correction: the eggs were the result of allowing the animals to breed for the sake of their health (without actual breeding recommendation) and were allowed to develop for a bit so they could research reptile egg development. Them being allowed to hatch did, however, happen after a change of heart from the EEP.

Circling back to the elephant discussion: personally I also probably would enjoy an expansion of the current 'Malay Forest Edge' kind of area over the expansion of the elephant enclosure, but zoos cant survive financially or inspire an equal amount of visitors on reptiles and birds alone...

And yes, some cool species have left the zoo, some of which I also grumbled about back when. But at the same time, I respect that the zoo seems to be switching priorities in that regard. If an animal isn't endangered and the future of the species in captivity is doomed, why should you spend limited space and resources on keeping those? i.e., for conservation purposes, the visaya warty hogs were a more realistic program than the babirusas.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2022
    Mr Gharial likes this.
  15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've also sceptical thoughts about the new elephant-enclosure plans. Of course it's a good thing to give these large animals more space but how will they use it. Elephants are herd animals meaning the herd will be mostly at one given spot in the enclosure, meaning all the other spaces will be without elephants. Visitors are spending walking around the many paths without seeing the animals and during cold periods - when the elephants will spend most time in the indoor-enclosure, you will walk around the new out-door enclosures without seeing an elephant at all ! For the real zoo-nerd maybe not such a problem but for the "normal" visitor" it will become boring and visitor-numbers will drop in time. The money brought in by these visitors is however needed for all in-situ and ex-situ projects the zoo has. So in the long-time more space for the elephants will mean less money for all other projects the zoo has...

16. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Fully agree here. Maybe the Malayan tapirs could finally get a well-deserved upgrade and be moved to the actual Malayan part of the zoo.

As for the elephants: I fully agree with Mr Zootycoon. A large mixed ungulate enclosure similar to Burgers' Rimba would (for me) be a way more interesting exhibit than a giant elephant yard. Would also make the blackbuck more visible, with the addition of Nilgai or Chital

But we're getting off topic. Blijdorp made their decision.

JurassicMax and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  17. Kifaru Bwana

My fave option would also be your suggestion along with perhaps some exhibits featuring other species spiced by the wayside. I would favour though brow-antlered deer and hog deer over your proposal (I personally have never had much with the blackbuck in the Malayan forest setting. To rehome the Malayan tapir there. I wonder how they could accomplish that.

I do not think we are getting off topic as we are discussing very far reaching plans for the zoo within the public domain. Would it be deserving of its own thread in light of Masterplan 2030, I do think it would in all fairness. And actually, given we all have ideas that on closer inspection do align more with one another than might have thought.

18. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Good idea

Blijdorpenaar likes this.
  19. JurassicMax

According to a recent Instagram post of the zoo, they received 5 European turtle doves from GaiaZoo last year.

Source:
    Instagram of Diergaarde Blijdorp (27/01/2022) Login • Instagram

Antoine and MennoPebesma like this.
  20. Blijdorpenaar

- Yesterday's storm punched a pretty big hole in the roof of Amazonica, the building has been closed for emergency repairs. Whether any butterflies escaped or died, is unknown.
    - The (current) red panda enclosure is receiving huge maintance, the entire thing is basically being redone. The walkway has been ripped out and a new wall is being made. One of the two females is temporarily visable in the enclosure of the dwarf mongoose (which makes for the funkiest species combo I know)
    - The dwarf mongooses are also in a spot of bother though. The alpha female was killed by a wild herron, the group will probably be moved to the Crocodile River greenhouse.
    - The outdoor part of the Asian Swamp is inaccessable because of maintance, the crested macaques and Manchurian cranes are off display. Same goes for the black and rufous elephant shrews and snowy-crowned robin-chats in the Crocodile River.
    - Birth of a bleeding heart baboon! The very first since the group moved into their enclosure.
    - Another chapter in the neverending bird shuffle (otherwise known as @Mr Gharial's waking nightmare): the Victoria Serre of the Rivièrahal no longer houses the plantain-eater, violet turaco, roulroul and Sumatran laughingthrush. All of these species are still visible elsewhere in the park. The aviary of the yellow-faced myna, Sclater's crowned pigeons and Nicobar pigeons now also houses a couple of Bali mynas, while the snowy-crowned robin-chat has moved from the central section to the waterlilly section. Two violet turacos as well as some more purple glossy starlings have moved into the Crocodile River.

For some further info as well as some pics: Kort Nieuws #174