Join our zoo community

Bobcat fur farm !?

Discussion in 'United States' started by vogelcommando, 29 Jul 2014.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't approve of exotic furs and the like, yet farming the animals for fur is better than poaching wild animals.

3. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What would also help our native animals would be Fur from Foxes and Cats in Australia where they are an introduced pest. Back in the 80's before PETA made fur unfashionable fox skins were worth a lot which ment a lot of people were killing foxes. I remember how rare foxes were here and shooting one was difficult. Now it is not hard to shoot 10 a night as not many people bother when their skins are worth nothing.

In the 80's six fox skins would pay for a new rifle and I know one bloke who shot enough foxes to buy a farm.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, bobcats and Eurasian lynx are farmed for their fur in the United States. This is not new, but perhaps some outside the USA are unaware. I saw a statistic several years ago that I assume is true that the United States and Canada are the world's two leading exporters of fur pelts.

5. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I didn't think people still wore fur.

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They do not (as a general rule) in the United States, but they do in other countries. That is why the statistic I quoted states USA and Canada are world's leading exporters of furs.

7. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Where's the diffrence between farming animals for fur, leather or meat ? Everone who is eating meat or wearing shoes and boots from lether or snake Skin, shouldn't critise farming anuimals only for their fur...

8. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes but PETA have found throwing read paint at ladies in fur coats is safer than throwing it at bikies in leather jackets.