Join our zoo community

Bolton Museum Aquarium Bolton Aquarium Trip Review

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Water Dragon, 28 Jun 2017.

1. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

So today I visited the Aquarium in Bolton. This is the only collection left in Bolton (if you don't count Smithills Farm) since the closure of Moss Bank Park's Animal World, and is home to many fish. Though it is small, it is quite a nice collection and they do have a few rare species there as well. I visited this aquarium a lot as a child and it has changed quite a bit since then but a few of the fish that were there when (and even before) I was a toddler are still there today. It has been quite a while since I have visited so on my trip today, I had a nice warm feeling of nostalgia.

The aquarium is situated in Bolton Library. Above the library is the Bolton Museum (which was closed on my visit) and beneath it is the aquarium, in the basements. Though a small collection, it has a few lovely species and the aquariums are kept to a top standard. Though I have never kept fish at home, I am a good lover of fish and aquatics, and it was my favourite part of my job back when I worked in a pet shop (after the reptiles of course :D).

One very rare species that they have are the Bigtooth River Stingrays. Now, according to ZTL and the a worker that I spoke to there, this is the only UK holding of this stingray species. The male is called Arthur, but I can't remember the names of the females. The stingrays were brought in after the old knifefish died. He was an amazing creature and it is such a shame that he is gone now. He was always the main highlight of any visit. I guess that the stingrays are the highlight of the trip now, but they are still really cool animals. Some of the other fish include some enormous catfish (mother-of-snails and driftwood), piranhas, Malawi cichlids, various species of danios, goodied, and tetras, a pinstripe damba which is over twenty years old, etc.; plus an enormous clamshell in the centre of the aquarium. Unfortunately, the old ornate birchir has now passed away :(. All of the species that the aquarium care for are fish; but when I was little the aquarium did have some snakes as well (one was a milksnake and I think the other was a royal python).

Some of the fish that the aquarium have are well over twenty years old, and the aquarium is taking very good care of them. I saw some workers there using some high-tech equipment to maintain the tanks, so the fish here are under very special care. I had a nice chat with one of the workers, and he told me about all of the conservation work that they are doing for the species in their care and many local projects that they are currently undertaking as well.

So at the end of the short visit, as I traditionally did when I was a child, I inserted some coins into the donation box (which is a picture of a fish with the coin-slot in it's mouth). It was a very nice visit and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in fish. Has anyone here visited this collection? I would be very interested to know. I will upload the species list and a few photos later.

Komodo99 and Brum like this.
  2. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

Celestial Pearl Danio
    Pygmy Glass Danio
    Lake Kurumoi Rainbowfish
    Sondhi's Danio
    African Tail-Spot Tetras
    Banjo Catfish
    Bleeding Blue Tetra
    Peruvian Blue Tetra
    Coral Pencilfish
    Peruvian Dwarf Cichlid
    Neon Tetra
    Eartheater, Demonfish
    Glass Catfish
    Shadow Catfish
    Kuhli Loach
    Cardinal Brachy
    Knife Livebearer
    Elongate Malawi Cichlid
    Lake Malawi Synodontis
    Law's Malawi Cichlid
    Neon Yellow Malawi Cichlid
    Big Tooth River Stingray
    Banded Schizodon
    Amazon Trout
    Driftwood Catfish
    Humbug Talking Catfish
    Mother-of-Snails Catfish
    Red-Hook Myleus
    Royal Plec
    Sifontes' Catfish
    Blue-Eyed Catfish
    Bond's Widow Tetra
    Disc Tetra
    Giant Whiptail Catfish
    Graceful Herniodus
    Red-Headed Geophagus
    Giant Upside-Down Catfish
    Schall's Squeaker Catfish
    Nile Tilapia
    Madagascan Rainbowfish
    Damba
    Red-Bellied Piranha
    Andapa Cichlid
    Pin-Stripe Damba
    Crescent Goodied
    Neon Blue Ricefish
    A few odd shrimps and snails that shared with the fish.

These are all of the species that were on-show as of today. I will upload some photos later. I brought a big heavy camera with me which weighed down my shoulder bag; but I later discovered that my phone took better photos of the aquariums than my camera did :p

Last edited: 28 Jun 2017
    Komodo99 likes this.
  3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Many years ago, I knew this collection well as I was a friend of the head aquarist at that time. He was involved in the importation of some of the first Malagasy cichlids to come into the UK and he worked closely with Gordon Reid and Mike Crumpler at Chester Zoo with these species and the Goodeids in particular. Although the display area is relatively small, there is quite a lot of space off-show. I was lucky to have a few opportunities to photograph some of the more unusual species held at that time and some of the photos were used to illustrate an article in Practical Fishkeeping magazine.

bongorob and Water Dragon like this.
  4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I've visited a couple of times. I had the pleasure of spending a morning here with @MikeG early last year, and we then visited Pier Aquatics in Wigan where enormous numbers of unusual fish were displayed prior to a major catfish exposition. A great way to spend a day. :)

Water Dragon likes this.
  5. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

An interesting point about this aquarium is that it was originally designed for coldwater,freshwater species..but they couldnt keep the temperatures down(this can be trickier than heating things).

devilfish and Water Dragon like this.
  6. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited briefly today. Very impressed. Must find time for a longer visit.