Join our zoo community

Bornean bearded Pigs (Sus barbatus barbatus) in Captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by German Zoo World, 28 Feb 2021.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

RRH = pretty
    Warthog = TLK fame

That positive development, as you put it, also means that there are less available positions for other endangered suid species, like Javan warty pigs, bearded pigs etc. One if any tropical suid species is enough for most European zoos these days. And pigs aren't that popular among Joe Average zoo visitor.

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes, thats pretty much what I think drives it too.

Well it is a positive development but as you've mentioned in this and your previous comment there could and should be more available positions available for the other threatened Asiatic suids and ideally the Chaco peccary.

True though they are not as popular with the Joe average visitor and I'm sure this is at least one of the factors why they aren't kept by more zoos.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Batto

There's a wide difference between what zoos could / should do and what do and what they are actually doing. Chaco peccaries are also becoming more common in European zoos.

Let's face it: a zoo truly dedicated to conservation would be rather boring for the great majority of visitors. "Where are the white tigers?" "We don't keep white tigers." "Where are the meerkats, pygmy goats or ghastly kitsch souvenir shops and fast food joints full of plastic garbage?" "We don't have any of those here either. But we keep several breeding groups of bearded pigs and rare Brazilian callithrids... " "We're leaving. One star review coming up..."

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Lol, yeah I know, no zoo is going to purely have a collection based on ex-situ conservation I mean even Jersey zoo have their ring tailed lemurs, meerkats and Asian short clawed otters.

As unlikely a scenario as it is wouldn't it be wonderful if there were actually places out there though which didn't do the lowest common denominator thing ?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Batto

Maybe such places already exist? ^^

CMP and Onychorhynchus coronatus like this.
  6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Very modest, lol :p

No, yes, I agree , they do and there is a possibility for these places to exist despite the difficulties because of this being a vacant niche so to speak.

For example, here in this city the serpentarium at Instituto Butantan is pretty popular with the public who specifically go there to see the snakes and spiders despite the larger SP zoo with its collection of mammals also being here.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2021
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

With a deadly suid disease ransacking across NE Sabah it would be imperative to focus more on conservation breeding of rare and restricted suid species. The decision to phase out Bornean bearded pig may not be a great one ....

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thats what I thought when I read the Mongabay article, in fact it was the first thing that came to mind.

9. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Vicious? what makes them more so than Warthogs, Red River Hogs, Babirusas, and others. I know Berlin has White-Lipped Peccaries. I know they are notorious for being vicious like the more commonly known Javelina snapping its canines and charging predators as a group.

10. Batto

Why don't you ask the pig keepers at Zoo Berlin? :p
    The defensive behavior of peccaries is well-known. And don't lecture me on the dangerousness of wild suids: one of my friends was killed by a wild boar, and I have been attacked by them more than once.

11. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I don't blame keepers for not wanting to work with a species known for being particularly hazardous, especially from an already dangerous and feisty taxonomic group. After all, there are factors that go into deciding what species are best to keep in collections; temperament is certainly one of them.

My condolences about your friend @Batto.

Batto likes this.
  12. Batto

Thanks @Coelacanth18 He was a great guy; a conservationist and a man of the great outdoors. We still miss him to this very day.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2021