Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zooplantman, 16 Jan 2014.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks
    1. Yes, though I did not see them.
    2. It's nice. Very dark and lush.

~Thylo:cool:

2. ThylacineAlive

I have a photo if that'll help.

3. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance. I really needed to look before asking that time around, the answer was just 4-5 posts before. :p

By the way, I'm jealous that you saw the kiwi! When I visited back in March I'd completely forgotten that the Bronx had acquired kiwis (I was visiting the Aquatic Bird House mainly to check up on the spoonbill chicks - although they're quite old now), so when I came across the exhibit it was definitely a surprise. However after about 10 minutes of intense searching/waiting, I decided to give up on the kiwi. Maybe next time!

4. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are now 3.1 lion cubs on exhibit at "African Plains". Below is the story as seen on the Bronx Zoo's website:

If you've been by the African Plains at the zoo recently, you may have noticed some new faces charming crowds. Our lions Sukari, who is nine years old, and M'wasi, 11, are joined by their four cubs - the third littler for the parent duo.

The litter has three males, Thulani, Ime, and Bahati and one feemale, Amara who have been enjoying their time at the zoo since they were born last August. African Planes is one of the most popular exhibits at the zoo, and these rambunctious new additions have made the habitat all the more exciting.

African lions designated as Threatened by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), and the Bronx Zoo breeds lions as part of the Species Survival Plan. Exhibit times for the foursome and their mother will vary day-to-day as they alternate their time with their father M'wasi.

5. ThylacineAlive

6. ThylacineAlive

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  7. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Well, we've been talking about when the Komodo dragon exhibit could possibly open up for a while now, and, while we still don't know exactly when it will, we may be getting closer to knowing at least.

A few minutes ago, out of curiosity, I checked up on the upcoming Members-only evening events. The first of three is set to take place on Tuesday, July 15th. On the list of activities for the events is "Visit the new Komodo dragons exhibit at Zoo Center." Now, I think it's safe to assume that this means that the exhibit will be open by July 15th. I'm confident that the Bronx Zoo wouldn't advertise it unless they knew it'd be open for certain by then. Am I right?

8. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There seem to be two young Mandrills in Congo Gorilla Forest, based off of a photo submitted to the Bronx Zoo's Facebook.

9. OneHungryHippo

OneHungryHippo Member

Does anyone know when the zoo got Blue Cranes and Grey-Crowned Cranes in the African Plains and if you've seen any? Also, do they still have the Marabou Stork, I have not seen one since, I believe, 2011. I am pretty sure they do not have the Common Crane anymore since I only saw a whole flock of them a couple of times in 2008.

10. ThylacineAlive

I believe the zoo temporarily had crowned cranes in 2012 but none of the species listed are at the zoo anymore. Or at least they aren't on-show. The only cranes are White-Naped and Black-Necked and the only storks that are on-show are Storm's, Lesser Adjutant, and Abdim's.

11. threeple61

threeple61 Well-Known Member

For the 'only species on-show' they're pretty special birds!

12. ThylacineAlive

Indeed.

Just remembered there's also Painted Storks.

13. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

- I saw the blue cranes in july 2013. I will be visiting this weekend and will report back.

14. ThylacineAlive

Interesting. Now that you mention it I think there's a sign up for them in maybe the Lowland Nyala enclosure. Never seen one there, though.

15. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

16. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Think one of your unidentified birds in Madagascar may be a Eurpean Starling! See my pictures from the same enclosure in Bronx gallery on here.

17. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Very nice Report, thanks for sharing.Since when the Bronx-zoo has Lesser Kudus ?
    They have nine Indian Rhinos, but only one exhibit-so how are the other rhinos are be kept, if mostly just one or two animals(mother and calf or a breeding couple, when the female is in heat ) are in the exhibit ?

18. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

Thanks @Newzooboy that makes sense. Also does anyone know the species of mouse deer in Jungleworld?

19. threeple61

threeple61 Well-Known Member

The montezuma oropendola was not on show? Someone reported it on-show two weeks ago.

20. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

- I did not see one. The signs for the pheasant area are changed on a daily basis. On my visit a keeper was changing them, I guess because many species rotate through the dozen or so exterior yards.