Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 27 Dec 2014.

Tags:
  1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. savethelephant

Does anyone know when the monorail is open? I am planning to go soon.

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's been open:p;)

~Thylo:cool:

4. ThylacineAlive

I decided not to post any of my news from my visit a few weeks ago until I had posted my photos to get some new species identified but I ended up getting really busy and thus I've begun to forget some stuff over time so I'll post what I remember now!

-There were only two adult male Geladas out. Possibly new animals?

-The Cinereous Vultures has laid eggs.

-Tambourine Doves are now in the Butterfly Garden.

-The Butterfly Garden has Question Mark Butterflies (Polygonia interrogationis) now.

-There's a Burmese Brow-Antlered Deer fawn.

-There are two Indian Gaur calves.

-Another one of the gorillas is potentially pregnant. Another two were seen mating.

I'm sure there's more that I forgot unfortunately. I'll try to update again if I remember some stuff.

5. savethelephant

Well, thanks any way.

Why would there be two geladas if more was coming, thylo?

Would be interesting to see chicks

I have never seen the male brow antlered deer...

I love gaur!

Hmmm, more gorillas. Something is in the air;)

6. ThylacineAlive

I meant the two were possibly new arrivals. I've only ever seen one adult male out with the females my past few visits and these two weren't out with them so they could possibly be new arrivals.

7. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

I am going to the Bronx Zoo Sunday so I will look out for some of the new babies-

It is interesting the zoo is breeding Gaur because I heard the San Diego Safari Park stopped breeding gaur since no other zoos wanted them. And I hadn't seen the brown antlered deer in over a year so I am glad they still have and are breeding them.

I think 5 baby gorillas would be an ever more incredibly active exhibit.

At the WoB, were there any other birds in the nursery?
    Hopefully the vulture eggs are fertilized.

I am going to see if the Children's Zoo is open or if they are waiting for Memorial Day. Anything else anyone wants to me look out for?

8. savethelephant

Oh, well actually bigfoot410, I was thinking about visiting next Sunday too along with my parents...

9. ThylacineAlive

My family wanted to leave early so I didn't get a chance to check out the bird nursery. Definitely look in there, though.

There's also a small unidentified turtle along with the tortoises in the tree-kangaroo enclosure.

10. bigfoot410

The Children Zoo is reopening May 30 with Pepa Pig as part of the celebrations. I am sure it will be mobbed with little ones!

I doubt all the animals will be out this weekend, but I will take a peek and see if I can see the pudu, anteater, red legged serima or sloths.

11. ThylacineAlive

I've seen Red-Legged Seriema in the aviary by the sea lions. I believe there's even a sign for them there.

12. bigfoot410

I saw the serimas there last year; however on the map for the Children's Zoo renovations they showed an exhibit for serimas next to the anteaters. I think the aviary is too small for them anyway. I think it would be great to have the kea there and have it outside.

Was there anything new in Madagascar, Mouse House or Reptile house?

13. ThylacineAlive

Kea would be a great idea for that aviary!

Didn't visit the first and last for the same reasons as WOB. A lot of the enclosures in the Mouse House got an upgrade. For example, the antelope squirrels now have two enclosures and branches to climb. They're all generally more lush, too.

14. savethelephant

Really hope this gets answered by tomorrow...

What time does the monorail open?

15. ThylacineAlive

10:30 I think?

Maybe try going straight there and if it's not open, go through JungleWorld and see if it's open by the time you get out.

16. savethelephant

Today was great! I saw very interesting things today. I will start with my monorail ride.

Good
    Gaur very close
    Blackkbuck very close
    Saw 5 tufted deer
    barasingha
    axis deer

Bad
    Barasingha/muntjac very far
    No nilgai
    Brow antlered deer far away
    Markhor/Tahr seen no to badly but very quickly(especially mature male)

Babies
    Saw all 4 gorilla babies and gelada

Bird show
    Unfortunately I got there 15 min late with 15 min left so I could only tell you what I saw

Red shouldered hawk
    Sun conure
    Black bellied magpie jay
    Scarlet/Green winged macaw displayed side by side

I saw sifakas not crowned lemur
    No news on nurseries as I wasn't able to go
    And perhaps the most exciting news of all... was that in the nyala/rhim gazelle enclosure(today I saw just female nyalas) there was a pair of Black backed Duiker!

All in all a wonderful day

17. bigfoot410

Summary of zoo visit:
    It was a warm and crowded day, but got to see some new animals and some news to share:

1) It appears two young grizzlies are on display. I think these two are eventually going into the new habitat at Central Park.
    2) Several babies including two pere david's deer and 2 gaur.
    3) There was over a dozen blackbuck, and saw large herds of barisingha, brown antlered deer, sika deer and hog deer. Nilgai also made an appearance as did the markhor and tahr.
    4) The 1st snow leopard exhibit netting looks complete and hopefully will be occupied soon.
    5) A duiker pair of some species was in the slender horned gazelle area. I will post a pic later.
    6) Mouse lemurs are back in Madagascar. The two I saw did not stop long enough to get a good look though.
    7) Signage was off in several places, especially World Of Reptiles.
    8) In the Nursery: Lots of interesting reptiles including a timor python, black breasted leaf turtle and spiny tailed monitors. In WOB they had the Australian Magpie and lesser bird of paradise.
    9) I finally saw the kiwi, they changed the exhibit to make it work to see it in the log.
    10) I saw many new birds throughout, but little blue penguins are going on exhibit at the Aquatic bird House.

I will report more later.

18. savethelephant

1.The bears are already there in Central Park and I saw the three(that were from Alaska) that were very active...
    3.I only saw one blackbuck! lucky
    5.Black backed(bay) duiker
    6.Where! I didn't see em
    9.Also saw kiwi in log but sadly was asleep in log curled up so I only saw a big fuzz ball
    10.I wanted to see them very badly but was dissapointed when didn't find them

19. savethelephant

Oh yeah, forgot to report, the cages in front of mouse house are empty except for one cage which held 1.1 white faced saki monkey

20. bigfoot410

The Mouse lemurs were in the last exhibit in the Nocturnal gallery. They were unlabeled, but two of them were racing all around the branches towards the top of the exhibit.

There is also a new baby collared lemur.
    And I got my first look at the outdoor aldabra tortoise and komodo dragon exhibits. You can get incredibly close of the tortoises and the outdoor komodo exhibits are well landscaped, hard to judge size until a full size dragon is in there.

And the little blue penguins are going in the Seashore exhibit in the Aquatic Bird building. A few changes were made, including a couple burrows into the sand hills and a low glass wall in the water area. Hopefully they will be on exhibit soon.

Also, in Congo the mandrills and red river hogs were on exhibit together, they kept plenty of space between each other. And the colobus monkey enclosure was under renovation.
    And after speaking with a keeper, it seems the Peruvian Pelicans did not get along with the other birds at the Seabird Colony. They (with the white pelican) will either move to Northern Ponds or the pond behind the Children's Zoo.

The Cinereous Vulture has also built a nice sized nest, hopefully we will see some young soon.