Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by savethelephant, 13 Jan 2016.

1. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

2. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There's also a black-footed penguin that's been hatched, SIAP.

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo doesn't have African Penguin:confused:

~Thylo:cool:

5. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Perhaps he means Magellanic?

6. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So the pure Asian/Indonesian theme of Jungle World is also history.

8. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think a much more accurate way of putting Jungle World geographically now is Indo-Pacific with the addition of these bats from the Indian Ocean.

9. ThylacineAlive

Rodrigues Flying Foxes have already been in JungleWorld for as long as I can remember. They've always been kept in the main walk-through area.

I'd prefer it if they had gotten a new tree-kangaroo instead:p

As for JungleWorld's theme, the exhibit has pretty much always held species from outside of the Southeast Asian range it claims to represent. The majority of the misplaced species being from New Guinea.

10. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I thought those were Indian flying foxes... or have they typically held both?

11. ThylacineAlive

The zoo does keep Indian Flying Foxes in JungleWorld but, as of my last visit, they're kept in the Javan Langur enclosure and are thus pretty difficult to see. The zoo has kept Rodrigues in JW for some time longer, though, in the main area. I do believe the signage for both species reflects this.

12. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Actually, I do mean Black-footed, but it's at Coney Island, not the Bronx. I was just seeing that it was a WCS announcement and failed to pay attention to the location.

13. ThylacineAlive

Does anyone know anything about the Birds in Flight bird show at the zoo? They posted a short video showing some of the birds the other day but no information on it. I checked their website and there's no schedule for it either. Never seen it before and I'm planning on visiting the zoo soon so I'd like to check it out.

The video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU6Xl_RPo3w

14. ThylacineAlive

15. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So I must have missed the signs and the animals itself. My fault. Sorry.

Phrase 2: Agree:D

To the third phrase: That's why I used the term "Indonesian" too...;)

16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. ThylacineAlive

Visited the zoo today and have to say they've made a lot of changes over the winter! Also quite possibly the second best visit I've ever had at the zoo, and I've been visiting regularly for about 5 years with multiple visits a year.

To start with the bad news, there was no sign of the Madagascar Crested Ibis today, which isn't unusual, but the sign was removed so I fear the bird might have kicked it. No sign of the Guanay Cormorant or Maxwell's Duikers either but wouldn't think anything of that just yet. No sign of the Malayan Tiger cubs yet either.

For the better news, over all many areas of the zoo have seen a bit of refurbishment. Many of the enclosures have been renovated and been fitted with new furniture, including almost all of the enclosures in the Mouse House (with the spiny mouse enclosure currently still being renovated) and many in World of Reptiles (the most notable being the final two enclosures which have been closed for almost two years now!). Many areas of the zoo have either additional or brand new signage, including most of the second floor of World of Birds. That cafe by Baboon Reserve has also been redone and now serves as a specialty burger hut, featuring BBQ Burgers, Hawaiian Burgers, Mac-n-Cheese Burgers, ect., as well as shakes and tatter tots. The nocturnal section of Madagascar! might be going through a slight renovation at the moment as well with some white boards covering up some walls at the beginning. The Lesser Hedgehog Tenrec enclosure appears to have been completely replaced with a larger enclosure which held what I think was a Malagasy Tree Boa (I have photos to double-check). Next to the ground boa enclosure, which is still closed for renovation, there was a sponsorship plaque for mouse lemurs, which may have always been there but I just noticed it.
    A few species have been moved including the Lace Monitor into what used to be the young giant tortoise enclosure and the Mangrove Snake into what used to be the frilled dragon enclosure. Both the original monitor and snake enclosures are currently being renovated. A pair of North Indian Muntjac, originally displayed in the large mixed deer enclosure on the monorail but not seen in a while, can also now be found in their own pen by the Blackbuck/deer enclosure. It's one that has always been empty in the past with the Indian farm hut in it. The African Rock Python is back on-exhibit in Congo Gorilla Forest, too. With it being Spring, several new babies have been born. Most notable not already reported on being a Przewalski's Wild Horse foal, a Père David's Deer fawn, a White-Naped Crane chick, three Magellanic Penguin chicks, and three Western Capercaillie chicks. Some Mozambique Girdled Lizards and a False Tomato Frog have joined the World of Reptiles nursery as well. The Storm's Stork pair appeared to be nesting, though I'm not 100% positive. New species that I noted are Bruce's Green Pigeon, Grosbeak Starling, Indian Pygmy Goose (signed but not seen; not noted them in any form at the zoo since 2011), and Goliath Bird-Eating Spider (in a new small enclosure next to the Blue-Billed Curassow/Radiated Tortoise enclosure), Black-and-Rufous Elephant-Shrew and Screaming Hairy Armadillo in the Mouse House, and Chinese Alligator, Arrau River Turtle (not new but been off-exhibit for some time and now back in one of the two final enclosures), Northern River Terrapin, Painted Batagur, Philippine Sailfin Lizard, and Chestnut-Backed Thrush (all four species in the other final enclosure) in World of Reptiles. An unknown collared Streptopelia and what I believe were Cinnamon Teal (with chicks) were in the Butterfly Garden as well. I have photos to properly ID them later.
    Finally, the Birds in Flight bird show. I quite enjoyed it, though found the second showing to not be as different from the first one as advertised. While the birds were obviously trained, some were new (as admitted by the presenter) and often flew into nearby trees or on top of the old Monkey House, delaying the show slightly. The species used between both shows were a pair of nominate Yellow-Headed Amazon, thirteen Sun Conures, a Silvery-Cheeked Hornbill, a Green Aracari, a Galah cockatoo, a Scarlet Macaw, a Red-and-Green Macaw, a pair of Red-Fronted Macaws, a pair of Military Macaws, a pair of Black-Throated Magpie-Jays, a Eurasian Eagle-Owl, an Eastern Screech Owl, a locally-rescued Red-Shouldered Hawk, and a Texas-rescued Red-Tailed Hawk.

Overall a really great day (even if I got stuck in the back row on the monorail:p) with lots of pleasant surprises. Fingers crossed, the species not seen today just happen to be temporarily off-exhibit and not lost just yet! Photos up when I find the time:)

19. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

Thylo -

Thanks so much for the detailed report on one of my favorite zoos (which it has sadly been several years since I've been able to visit). It is these in-depth personal reports from people who know the zoos they visit that I most enjoy here on ZooChat (I try to do some of the same from time to time for my hometown zoo, the Columbus Zoo). I know how time-consuming it can be (but enjoyable to many true zoo fans), but to me it's this history that really makes return visits great. Reading this reminds me of my many visits to the Bronx Zoo back when I lived nearby (far too many years ago)...if this site were in existence then, I would have loved the opportunity to keep track of the ever-changing collection (and I would relish the opportunity to look back on my old thoughts and species lists). In these days of reduced and homogenized collections at many American zoos(which are understandable if still lamentable), it's nice to get these reports and remember what a wealth of great species are still maintained. Now if only Bronx still had their hoatzin...

20. ThylacineAlive

My pleasure:) While I've failed to do reports like these for many of my more recent past visits, I do agree that they are important for many reasons. I like to think they'd also potentially help someone planning on making a future visit better format their plans. Hoatzin would be fantastic indeed, though will not complain about the many interesting birds still there!

A few bits I forgot to mention yesterday:
    -There's a new pied oystercatcher (pied as in the color pattern, not species) in the Little Blue Penguin enclosure. Probably Eurasian but I have photos to double-check.
    -A Baer's Pochard pair and Snowy Egret pair have been added to the Aquatic Bird House as well.
    -There's a female Brown Pelican now as well.