Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by AnaheimZoo, 16 Jan 2018.

1. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I could have sworn I saw that the hours were affected from 9-5 to 10-5 in light of the budget cuts. I feel very ignorant right now after reading your extensive post regarding the Zoo's budget. Just goes to show that my opinions and statements regarding current and past events need as much backing as possible.

nczoofan likes this.
  2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Tbh I have a vague memory of them going from 9-5 to 10-5 as well, but I didn't comment as I wasn't sure if I'd made it up or not.

~Thylo

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sorry my post might have come off as abrupt. Im just a nerd when it comes to budgets and economic figures. The Bronx Zoo's biggest issue right now is not the city, its the federal government. From what I have read if the state department budget is cut, then that will have a massive impact on WCS conservation funding.

4. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

The Bronx Zoo has had 10-5 (and weekends 5:30 in the summer) hours since at least the early 1980's, if not for a lot longer. I know there have been calls at times to lengthen the hours; but I know at least until recently the area around the Bronx Zoo was not the safest during the evening hence not having later hours. I always wondered why the zoo never opened at 9 or 9:30, but historically it has always been 10. It could be budget reasons why the zoo does not have late hours (unlike the aquarium which has evening hours on Friday and Saturday).

AnaheimZoo likes this.
  5. ThylacineAlive

During the summer it doesn't get dark up here until 7pm at the earliest they could still be open from 9-6 during the summer months. I'd imagine it's for budget issues nowadays since they'd have to pay more staff during open hours.

~Thylo

6. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dude, you don't have to feel sorry for having all this knowledge regarding the city's budget! You come across as a genuinely nice individual, and well informed to boot. I'd be interested to chat with you further sometime, and honor the site's namesake.

ThylacineAlive and nczoofan like this.
  7. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4 Roti Island snake-necked turtles recently hatched. The species has gone on exhibit recently in two locations: with Mary River turtles in World of Reptiles, and with the Mertens’ water monitor in Zoo Center.

WCS Wild View: Welcome, Turtle Hatchling

8. ThylacineAlive

This is in addition to being on-exhibit in JungleWorld.

~Thylo

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. ThylacineAlive

The zoo has a pair of Great Indian Hornbills in World of Birds now in what was previously the Great Blue Turaco enclosure (the turacos can still be seen in the main African walk-through aviary). There's also a pair of Cabot's Tragopan chicks and a single Blue-Winged Goose chick on-exhibit. The Woodland Dormouse enclosure is under renovation and it doesn't appear to be getting set-up for dormice. Speaking of the Mouse House does anyone know what's being kept in the old elephant-shrew enclosure there's been something in there for some time now but there's no signage and I've never actually spotted the animal. Finally just as an odd note I still have yet to spot any of the Maleos or Sulawesi Forest Turtles all year long despite usually seeing them quite easily.

~Thylo

10. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm going to the zoo on saturday and while catching up on episodes of The Zoo, noticed a brief clip... which of the buildings has the bats flying loose?

12. nczoofan

Jungleworld has both rodrigues fruit bats and indian flying fox. They have one species in the main room with the tapirs/gharials and another species in the javan langur section.

13. TinoPup

Two species? Ugh. Well at least I found out before I got there. Thanks :)

nczoofan likes this.
  14. ThylacineAlive

Slight correction: the Rodrigues are now in with the tree-kangaroo.

~Thylo

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. TinoPup

I saw a bunch in with the tapirs and one lone bat with the gharials. None with the tree kangaroo, but they easily could have been blocked by the trees. I managed to only internally freak out, no panicking, though I did make my dad stay very close to me at that point. Progress :)

I did the Cheetah Connection as well. They brought in one of the sloths beforehand, it was too cold for them to go outside. I'm not into sloths much and would have rather had that time to see other exhibits, but I didn't have much of a choice ;) Didn't make it to world of birds, reptile house, any of the himalayan section. I was honestly rather underwhelmed.

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. ThylacineAlive

The tapir and gharial are kept in sectioned off enclosures within the same room. The bats you saw on both sides are all apart of one big group of Indian.

~Thylo

TinoPup and StoppableSan like this.
  17. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can I have some information on the Bronx's Maleos? Are there any other collections in America that keeps Maleos also?

18. nczoofan

The Bronx zoo has about 14 at the moment, and is the only zoo to breed them. Most of them are kept off display, but several are on exhibit on the 1st floor of World of Birds. Bronx has sent out pairs to Houston, San Diego and Tulsa so far in the United States. WCS also does a lot of conservation work, protecting nests and habitat in Sulawesi.

19. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you very much for this information.

nczoofan likes this.
  20. ThylacineAlive

The zoo also sent 4 individuals to Walsrode in Germany.

~Thylo

ZooBinh, nczoofan and Kifaru Bwana like this.