Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by AnaheimZoo, 16 Jan 2018.

1. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Found this while browsing around. Thought it might be of interest to some of our East Coast members!

2. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Who's up for privatizing the WCS at this point?

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoos only just recovered from the last major funding cut...

~Thylo

4. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The WCS is already a private, non-for-profit organization, and it is the entity that operates the Bronx, Central Park, Queens and Prospect Park Zoos, and the Aquarium so they are all already "privatized". The WCS receives public subsidies from both the city ($22.4 million 2016, the last figure I could find, which is for all 4 zoos and the aquarium) and the state ($4.3 million), without which it would either have to shut down some operations or raise admission fees, dramatically, possibly past the point of diminishing return. The Zoos and Aquarium cannot be totally "privatized" since they sit on public park land, which the law prohibits the city from transferring without approval of the state legislature (basically impossible, especially since the WCS facilities sit in iconic parks). The city owns the land and the buildings and that fact, coupled with the subsidy from the city, gives the city a certain amount of leverage. The only condition that I know the city imposes is that there needs to be one free day a week, but there might be more. The state subsidy is not large, but every dollar makes a difference.

5. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is BS. WCS deserves more money.

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  6. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

These reductions are a load of hogwash.

7. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After communicating with a staff member, I have confirmed that the zoo’s last Guanay cormorant has unfortunately passed away. It came to the zoo as an adult about 30 years ago, so it had an amazingly long life. Because of this, the zoo’s Peruvian pelicans should be on exhibit more, considering the two species rotated seasonally.

8. ThylacineAlive

The zoo is down to 0.1 pika.

~Thylo

9. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Is it me, or are certain membership options much more costly than they were just a few years ago? Do you think this is because of the funding reduction?

Also, thanks for informing us on the death of the last guanay, @jayjds2. It's a shame I wasn't able to take a trip down there to see it one last time.

10. ThylacineAlive

The memberships have become extremely expensive in the past year or two and have lost some of their benefits as well. Imo it's not really even worth getting at this point...

~Thylo

11. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

I'm starting to feel the same way. The very first membership I purchased back in 2011 was something like $180-$190. Now, in order to get all the same benefits that membership had, I have to pay $300. That's ridiculous.

12. ThylacineAlive

And no more free parking..

~Thylo

13. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

If you have a legacy membership you still get free parking (and 3 hours at the aquarium), what I find shocking is that for new members the aquarium is not included except for premium members. I think with the new Sharks exhibit opening at the Aquarium their admission price is going to at least double. I do feel like the new memberships aren't as good of a deal as they used to be. I am glad I have legacy membership (which still includes the aquarium) or it wouldn't be worth it.

14. ThylacineAlive

I should have the legacy one but my dad bought this one for me for my 20th birthday so I don't know if I have that. I can't believe the aquarium has been cut...

~Thylo

15. bigfoot410

The aquarium wasn't cut, but you can now buy a "zoo pass" for the 4 zoos, and aquarium membership and a total package. I do think it is ridiculous for the new passes they got rid of free parking and possibly the attractions for some of the membership levels. What was warned on my membership papers was that if I let my membership lapse I am no longer eligible for legacy status. My hope is that will continue going forward and next year I won't have to sign up for one of these plans. At least with this, you know the aquarium is opening up the Sharks exhibit in order to justify the rise in admission and membership prices.

16. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know if they still have black leopards in Jungleworld?

17. bigfoot410

As of December, 2017 they still had the black leopards in Jungle World. I am going again for a quick visit in April so I will make sure to check. I hope one day though that the binturongs or leopard cats (which used to be in the World of Darkness) could go on exhibit there.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  18. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

On my visit in February the exhibit was closed. There was no active work being done but there was a ladder against one wall.

19. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Personally, I think that if they were to bring in clouded leopards to fill in the exhibit they would be a better species for it because they are not only smaller but also more arboreal and thus could take advantage of less floor space if more tree branches were added to the exhibit.

20. ThylacineAlive

Personally I'd rather see the Palawan Binturongs go in there but I think they're education only animals...

~Thylo