Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 11 Jan 2019.

1. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

I know lol. It's hard for me to adjust to non-capitalized acronyms. Probably because I really am an English teacher.;)

sooty mangabey likes this.
  2. AmbikaFan

I saw Patty on Members Night, and she looked positively radiant, shaking her head as if performing for the monorail going by. I'd be so happy to see her so well adjusted after Maxine's death, but the elephant I saw looked so much like Happy, after being told it would be Patty, I was somewhat surprised. That head-shaking and smiling looked exactly like Happy on The Zoo when prompted, "Is Happy a good girl?". Can anyone tell me if that was indeed Patty last night?

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

It's not breaking news at this point, but - to expand upon what @migdog reported back in June - I was on a private tour a few days ago, and my guide also said that the zoo is preparing Tundra's exhibit for the arrival of dholes. The path was open so they showed us how the exhibit was coming along. They added that the Zoo will apparently be acquiring 3 males, and that they will be coming from the San Diego Zoo, though the date for this transaction is not currently known. When asked when they expected the move to happen, they said hopefully by the end of the year. But as we know, these things are not often concrete and are subject to change.

4. AnaheimZoo

Also, @ThylacineAlive , I feel obligated to apologize for my disappearing. You had asked me a few months back to see about listing the Zoo's fish and invertebrate species, and boom - I vanish into thin air. :D I hope you can forgive me, haha.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  5. AmbikaFan

I guess this sounds set in stone, so my thoughts won't matter or be in time, but I still can't help wish that a semi-aquatic species had been chosen, perhaps a small bear. Face it, Tundra wasn't merely a beloved legend, he was fun to watch. Having a species in there that could provide some water antics--even capybara--would have been fun. Yes, I know calybara aren't endagered, but these three male dholes are clearly not yet part of any plans to propogate their species.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. dcamp023

dcamp023 Well-Known Member

I know the Bronx zoo retried the gharial exhibit any shot they try again with the proboscis monkey again. I heard they had a little success with them.

7. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would have preferred to see the Amur leopard in Jungleworld move there. It would mesh well with the brown bear exhibit right next door, get it out of that little space in a building themed around a location where this species is not found, and whatever renovations they made would probably work for a leopard (a mesh roof and a wall made of mesh, glass, or both would prevent escapes).

That being said, if dholes make their way to the Bronx Zoo by the end of this summer, I'll definitely make a point to see them. I've only ever seen dholes once before (The Wilds) and even then they didn't do much (it was hot, so they were asleep in a shady corner)

8. AmbikaFan

The zoo was given the gharials, all young, I believe from the wild, from some Customs seizure. If the same opportunity presented itself with the monkeys, they should jump at the chance.

9. iluvwhales

Actually, the gharials came from the Madras Crocodile Bank in India.
    Indian gharials in JungleWorld

10. drill

drill Well-Known Member

I visited again today
    1. Saw many birds in the Butterfly garden. What kinds are in there
    2. Mouse deer again in it's JungleWorld exhibit. Couldn't visit World of Birds today so don't know if also still there.
    3. I think the softshell turtle in JungleWorld is now in the Childrens Zoo
    4. What kind of Kangaroo rat is in the Childrens Zoo.
    5. Rock cavy, dormouse, and mouse-like hamster are gone from Mouse House
    6. 2 Peruvian pelicans seen in Aquatic Bird House
    7. Most of the Little blue penguins appear to be off-exhibit because they might be pregnant
    8. What bats are exhibited at JungleWorld?

11. AmbikaFan

Thank you for this. I knew they had come from abroad and were native-born. Connections like this always brings me back to elephants. This zoo has resources of acreage, world-wide connections, and breeding know-how that are just too important for them to not join the US breeding institutions.

Mbwamwitu, zoomaniac and StoppableSan like this.
  12. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think for the bats its Rodrigues Fruit Bat and Indian Flying Fox

ThylacineAlive and drill like this.
  13. AnaheimZoo

Indeed they are, in both the female lesser bird-of-paradise exhibit and in the larger one with the argus pheasant and tawny frogmouth.

14. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I visited a couple weeks ago I noted Red-Billed Firefinch, Bananaquit, Red-Cheeked Cordon-Bleu, Tambourine Dove, Barbary Dove, Crested Wood-Partridge, and Cinnamon Teal.

There has always been a Florida Softshell Turtle in the CZ since it reopened. I've never seen a softshell in JW, however.

Merriam's.

How do you know they weren't Brown Pelicans?

To be more specific the Rodrigues Flying Foxes are in with the tree-kangaroo and the Indian Flying Fox are in the main free-flight room.

I actually completely forgot about that and also forgot to take note myself on my last visit :p No worries.

If the zoo moves forward with its reported Latin America project someday you may very well see Capybara at the zoo. That species, however, would make a poor choice for Tundra's old enclosure. Thematically they wouldn't work with the surrounding exhibitions and, while they may make some use of the pool, they'd make for a rather underwhelming replacement. They also do not hold the same conservation value as the Dholes would. No the will not be breeding the species it seems, but the trio are probably surplus animals not currently needed for the program. Holders of same-sex groups are just as important to managing breeding programs as the breeding institutions are. I'd also say there is significant value in exhibiting a species very, very rarely seen in the US zoo circuit as well. Part of me does agree with @iluvwhales, though. The Amur Leopard doesn't fit well in JW and Tundra's old space would have been great, especially if they allowed the animal to climb the back wall a bit.

As posted earlier, they came from the Madras Crocodile Bank. Bronx has actually imported a lot of the US population and then distributed them to other zoos. San Diego and LA received their animals from Bronx imports, for example.

~Thylo

15. ThylacineAlive

Some additional notes I picked up on during my last visit a couple weeks ago:

-There is a potential bee-eater hatching, though I don't know which species.
    -The Buff-Crested Bustard in WoB has been moved to the African scrub enclosure due to the aforementioned breeding.
    -A lot of the older signage has been stripped around the zoo, particularly in World of Birds and the Aquatic Bird House.
    -There is a third toucan on-exhibit in with the quetzal.
    -A sign on the old Kea enclosure says that "new birds" will be on-exhibit within a matter of weeks.
    -A new Whooper Swan has joined the zoo's lone male in the Pere David's Deer enclosure.
    -For the first time in my years of visiting the zoo, a Malayan Tiger was on-exhibit in Wild Asia (didn't see it, though).
    -A new baby Mandrill is on-exhibit.
    -There is a Cabot's Tragopan chick on-exhibit.
    -There are Forsten's Tortoise and Yellow-Headed Box Turtle hatchlings in the WoR nursery.
    -A lot of the signage in WoR has been updated.
    -Already noted in passing, but there is a new display of Jungle Carpet Python and Splendid Treefrog.
    -There is also a new display for Uroplatus fimbriatus and Sambava Tomato Frog where the Panamanian Golden Toads were; the toads are now mixed with the poison dart frogs.
    -The Giant Horned Lizards are now on-display in-between the Shield-Tailed Agamas and Electric Blue Geckos.
    -There is an unsigned toad species in the Brazilian Rainbow Boa enclosure, probably Evergreen Toad.
    -The Madagascar Leaf-Nosed Snake appears to have been replaced by a Standing's Day Gecko.
    -The signage in the nocturnal room of Madagascar! has been updated.
    -A slew of random Malawi cichlids have been mixed with the Malagasy cichlids in the crocodile pool...

~Thylo

savethelephant likes this.
  16. ThylacineAlive

Ok so turns out these were Peruvian Pelicans. The zoo only has 2.0 left, no more American White Pelicans, and all of the Brown Pelicans have transferred to the New York Aquarium.

~Thylo

17. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Congo African grey parrots

18. ThylacineAlive

Makes sense, the zoo acquired this species to replace the Pygmy Marmosets a while back but they didn't do well in that enclosure.

~Thylo

19. iluvwhales

nczoofan likes this.
  20. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

ThylacineAlive likes this.