Join our zoo community

Brookfield Zoo Brookfield Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by MeiLover, 3 Jan 2014.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I received my Winter 2014/2015 issue of Gateways (Brookfield Zoo's membership magazine) in the mail today and they have finally released information on their new Wild Encounters exhibit (which is replacing the Children's Zoo)! It will be opening to the public next summer (no date posted), and the permanent animal exhibits are goats, alpacas, llamas, reindeer, red pandas, wallabies, emus, and parakeets. I posted a photo of the map featured in the magazine on the Brookfield Zoo gallery page.

3. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

Why don't they just put the wallabies and emus near the Australia House, and the parakeets, if the parakeets are Australian budgerigars?
    I remember in 6/10, going to Brookfield when Joyce, the lone African elephant, was there and a little girl said, "Hi Mr. Elephant!"
    I should have yapped and said, "IT'S MRS. ELEPHANT. HER NAME'S JOYCE AND SHE'S AN AFRICAN SAVANNAH ELEPHANT, LOXODONTA AFRICANA!"

4. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In addition to aforementioned exhibits, Wild Encounters will also have a large indoor building for 'Animal Ambassadors', which will be brought out by keepers to interact with visitors. Few details were given on how this would all work, but species mentioned included genets, caracals and tamandua. As mentioned there will be a goat petting zoo, an aviary with over 900 parakeets, a large wallaby walkabout, and permanent exhibits for red pandas, llama/alpaca and reindeer.

There already are some wallabies and emus present - in addition, Australia House is in the middle of several other exhibits and in order to renovating it to accommodate the new areas would be hideously difficult without enroaching upon the paths for Antelope-Zebra Area or Packyderm House. Renovations are planned in the future though.

5. cloudedleopard

Antelope-Zebra Area, JVM? Antelope-Zebra area is Lincoln Park, unless you meant the 31st Street Yards at Brookfield.

6. JVM

Yrah, 31st Street Yards - I always end up using the same name for both since they include similar species.

7. cloudedleopard

JVM,
    Antelope-Zebra Area at Lincoln Pk has alpaca, Bactrian camel (in what I assume is the former elephant exhibit), Chacoan peccary, Grevy's zebra, muscovy duck, ostrich, red kangaroo, Sichuan takin, waterbuck and white-lipped deer according to lpzoo.org.
    31st Street Yards at Brookfield have only addax, Grevy's and Grant's zebras, and Bactrian camels according to Brookfield Zoo website.
    Also, "pachyderm" is spelled with an H and not a K.

8. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. JVM

The camels have bounced between the former Elepehant exhibit and Antelope-Zebra Area a few times but in August they were in the latter again.

31st Street Yards also had Przwalaski's Wild Horses in August and has housed numerous species in the past.

Sorry again for the mistake.

10. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

12. TropicWorld54

TropicWorld54 Well-Known Member

...And this is why I believe that the number one thing holding America back is our stupidity when it comes to basic science. Good job conservatives, you really outdid yourself this time.

13. JVM

I'm pretty sure the only reason this woman is getting much attention is because her name seems to be similar to that of a popular actress.

It sounds like the majority of her criticism is targeted only at Tropic World, which is one exhibit in a huge facility. Tons of signs are dedicated to the very ideas she claims she wants to see (what makes the animals special) -- most people don't pay much attention to the signs in that exhibit in my experience anyway.

14. wensleydale

Maybe she was looking to make trouble before she came in.

15. wilson

wilson Well-Known Member 10+ year member

-The Birds and Reptiles exhibit has several new exhibits. Unfortunately, my phone was low on battery, so I only got a picture of one of the new exhibits (I uploaded it to the gallery). New species to the building include- gilla monster, Texas tortoise, blue spiny lizard, tegu, iguana, prehensile tailed skink, Jamaican boa, dart frogs, and a few more I can't recall. Also, the free flight bird area is closed for construction.

-Feathers and Scales exhibit- the desert bird exhibit is being converted to a rainforest exhibit that will include cocks of the rock, blue-billed curassows, and other tropical birds. Constuction has also begun on the north side of the building where the former aquatic birds or penguin exhibit is being completely redone for the desert birds.

16. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Megan Fox looks much better in her movies than in real, and it seems , she is older, too...Amazing,what modern cosmetic is able to do...LOL. Seriously, that woman needs defenitely help, but this is a worldwide fact, people become more and more stupid,in the States as well as is in germany...Unfortuanetly, Zoos have to live with that. The director of Nuremberg said recently, he has to use 50 % percent of his working time only to fight against animal rightners...

17. JVM

Interesting developments. I'm really fascinated by all the small-scale developments at Birds and Reptiles. New reptiles are always welcome at Brookfield, which was starting to get low on them. How's the free-flight area closed? Any idea what they're doing there? It hasn't changed much in a long time and it's overdue for an update, though it seems very modern in the context of when it opened.

Feathers and Scales surprises me pleseantly. I've only been in the building twice but a large rainforest exhibit could be a treat and it's good to see the desert birds are getting a new home. Has the aquatic birds area been fenced off for a long time or something? I don't recall it exactly but I haven't been in the building as much.

Thanks for all the updates in any case.

18. Milwaukee Man

19. Milwaukee Man

20. wensleydale

I hope it works out with this calf. I understand Allie has lost a couple of calves. Or was it another dolphin? I can't remember.