Join our zoo community

Brookfield Zoo Brookfield Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 10 Jan 2018.

1. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any news on what’s happening to the old addax exhibit?

2. Zoological Point

Zoological Point Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Odds are a new species of hoofstock.

3. The Speeding Carnotaurus

I thought it would just be the zebras new home or something...

4. Zoological Point

The zebras are switching yards but I meant that odds are that a new species would fill the missing spots from the Grant's zebras and addaxes.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Grevy's zebras are being given access to the former addax yards.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Call this extremely wishful thinking, but what if the zoo is beginning to move animals out of the hoofstock row to make room for the originally planned "Elephant Trails" complex? Its unlikely sure, but considering the zoo has been silent about any new exhibits recently, it's a theory that's possible.

Loxodonta Cobra and StoppableSan like this.
  7. The Speeding Carnotaurus

Given that two more of the remaining hoof stock have their own places in the zoo plan, it is certainly possible. However, we’ll probably here about their movement to big cats first.

There’s also that rumor that a Tropic World expansion is in the works.

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. MeiLover

It is certainly likely, but not anytime soon. I would still expect it to be a number of years until an elephant exhibit is constructed, if one will be in the works.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Didnt they have 2 species of zebra I thought I was plains and grevy don' know why they have phased out the Forrest buffalo red river hog I can understand which were with the water ucks but I thought the warthog was on its own to the side I think the ardvark is no more not sure what other antelope species they have had aside Waterbuck and addax

10. The Speeding Carnotaurus

I’m fairly certain there are still red river hogs at BZ. The warthog and waterbuck have been phased out. I believe the grants zebra were also phased out.

11. MeiLover

The red river hogs reside in their own exhibit in Habitat Africa! The Forest.

12. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't imagine the Hoofstock situation is related to Elephant Trails purely because the master plan places that exhibit over parts of mostly other exhibits, and Australia and Pachyderm House don't look to be going anywhere. The lack of funding for such an ambitious project is probably going to hold off elephants for a long, long time.

I look forward to finding out what new species will hopefully be rotated in, but it's going to take getting used to on my next visit for sure. The Habitat Africa exhibits (and the Swamp a bit) both certainly feel a little undermined by the last decades of development at the zoo, as some of the choices made with regards to moving or rotating in/out species seem to undermine the intended exhibit themes. I love crocodiles and addax, but it's still off seeing them in exhibits that clearly were not designed to replicate their native habitat.

Really, I just wish they could afford to knock down or re-develop the Bear Grottos. The south right section of the zoo is so empty these days, and pretty much is entirely if you skip Wild Encounters, and the huge fence is unsightly. I imagine the zoo would rather focus on new African habitats or the much-needed Tropic World renovations, but it might be a great place to create something different, since the opposite side top left will eventually be dedicated entirely to Africa. The top left seems reserved for Asia, and the bottom left is North and South America... which leaves Australia as a suitable option, given the existing exhibit will need to be cleared for Africa... but I can't imagine them spending the money on that.

Speaking of Wild Encounters... the Red Panda situation is ridiculously grim. It doesn't sound that Brookfield is doing anything incorrect, and yet, they seem off to a terrible start with the species. Isn't this the second or third time they acquired a new panda only for the previous one to die? And the exhibit's relatively recent, with pandas being a key highlight. Horrible news.

Last edited: 25 May 2018
  13. MeiLover

This is a third time a red panda they’ve acquired has passed away. Don’t know the cause of the first two (the first one did suffer from seizures though), but the third’s cause of death was from genetic problems.

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. Zoological Point

Today, Amazing Arachnids is officially open

StoppableSan and birdsandbats like this.
  15. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well tomorrow actually, but close enough ;)

Geoffrey's marmosets are on exhibit in Tropic World.

A memorial for polar bear Aussie has been added in Great Bear Wilderness.

The Chinese giant salamanders were nowhere to be found in The Swamp. The exhibit they are/were in, next to the tokay geckos, was empty. And by empty I mean there was no exhibit there. Just a glass wall with paper on the other side.

16. MeiLover

It was a temporary memorial, only up last weekend during Bear Awareness Weekend.

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. Cyclone

Personal I don' think both chicago zoos need Japanese maquacs brookfield should stay with baboons either it being hymadras, Chama Cas, or even gleladas not sure if I spelled those right as for the bear grottos I see maybe doing somewhat of a update and then doing rotationals with sun, andian and Asiatic black bears. Also I feel like they could utilize the non in se exhibits by the old bear grottos that were on the side and what time seemed for foxes or something in that nature

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What a shame. I hope they sort things out soon and that it hasn't damaged their resolve to keep the species. I'm not particularly fond of their exhibit, but they are still a favorite species of mine.

Curious about the salamanders. Wonder what'll happen there.

These are some really interesting ideas that I would like to see, but don't sound in line with how the zoo has been organizing it's projects as of late - in particular, I think most zoochatters would love to keep the baboons, but it's a pretty open secret CZS doesn't intend to keep baboons because of the cold climate and prefer macaques. :(

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. Cyclone

Totally understandble just more of a pipe dream than anything wish zoos could take advice for updates or should I say ideas from guess or at least come to this website go hear peoples thoughts and ideas

Loxodonta Cobra and StoppableSan like this.
  20. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Fifteen minutes ago, Brookfield Zoo announced the birth of a baby gorilla. Koola is her mother. JoJo is most likely the father, as he is the only breeding male around.