Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Brown-nosed Coati

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Electus Parrot, 26 May 2011.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The quolls were definitely from Melbourne - pretty sure I've got the story right with the swap.

2. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can't remember Melbourne keeping any species of quoll in my lifetime. Perhaps Healesville?

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

if they came from Melbourne Zoo they wouldn't need to have come from the zoo's collection, they could have just been sourced by the zoo.

4. Chlidonias

this is what happens when I lose time to browse the galleries, all sorts of interesting discussions pass me by!
    http://www.zoochat.com/443/eastern-quoll-gondwanaland-leipzig-02-09-a-240065/

5. nrg800

nrg800 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can find the originals amendment to the import list application? I haven't been able to find it on the website.

6. Chlidonias

ISIS is now recording the Melbourne coatis as 6.8.13 so the original listing (as reported by Electus Parrot in post #30) was obviously correct and they have now sexed the older babies (although it appears one may have died as there is one too few).

7. Chlidonias

any updates on Australian coatis? Have Melbourne bred any more? How many do they have now? Have any other zoos got any yet? Etc?

8. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

There are like four coati enclosures at the zoo now. Some of which are quite nice, others are just in the old small cat cages which aren't amazing.

The census lists 11.8 at Melbourne and 0.6 at Gorge, however I'm not sure if the six females are counted twice, as I didn't think Melbourne had quite that many and they might not have uipdated their census.

9. Chlidonias

that sounds right though, because in post #46 above (from February last year) ISIS was recording 27 at Melbourne. [Melbourne's 19 plus Gorge's 6 equals 25, so roughly the same as the February 2012 total].

10. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

It appears as though Adelaide has become the third Australian Zoo to recieve coati, although I don't know how many or what sex(es) yet.

11. Thylacineotway

Thylacineotway Member

Why did Melbourne Zoo have one Coati in an exhibit. It seemed odd. It never had an exhibit sign.