Join our zoo community

Burgers' Zoo Burgers' Zoo 2019

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by lintworm, 1 Jan 2019.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would assume the transfer is connected to a swap / B/L for a male to Africa Alive. Not sure about the potential source zoo though!

2. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was in briefly in Burgers' yesterday and I saw the new enclosures. They are nice but not really big (but not too small either), although the squirrel monkeys (I think) have access to several large living trees. If the vegetation matures I think that they're both quite attractive enclosures. But, as @lintworm said, there's quite some empty space around them.

Just food for thought: very recenty the same area housed bongo, two duiker species, ringed seals, pygmy hippo, tapir and warthog, as well as the lemurs and coatis that still live there now. Quite a collection reduction!

KevinB likes this.
  4. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

Note on your thought: Some areas that used to house animals are now offlimits (behind the indoor enclosure of the squirrelmonkeys) and some turned into decorations around the enclosures. But I have to admit the enclosures are smaller than expected.

5. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am well aware of that, and I would be the first to admit the necessity of collection downsizing, especially in this particular case. The enclosures for hippo, tapir and seal were among the worst in the zoo.

Ursus likes this.
  6. korhoen

korhoen Well-Known Member 5+ year member

On the 7th of May, two sun bears were born!:D

PAT, Nisha, Brum and 5 others like this.
  7. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very welcome and exciting breaking news from Burgers' Zoo: two sun bear cubs born in the night of May 6th to May 7th.

The birth wasn't announced until today as the first few critical days passed and mother and cubs were left totally alone.

This is the first time the sun bear has been bred in the Netherlands.

The cubs certainly aren't out of the woods yet and things remain a bit tense, but hopefully everything goes well with the cubs.

Between this, the manatee birth and the new exhibits opening it looks like Burgers' Zoo is having a great year.

Last edited: 16 May 2019
    snowleopard, Nisha, Choco115 and 4 others like this.
  8. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is fantastic news!!!!!! Not only twins, but also more offspring from a founder animal that are much needed for the population to continue! :D

SabineB, Nisha, MagpieGoose and 2 others like this.
  9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Oh yeah, what great earth shattering news! A small step for the Sun Bear EEP, a giant step for the sun bears inside Europe!

ShonenJake13 and SabineB like this.
  10. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

this is such great news, i am totally besides myself. this is just great. i will have to live with fingers crossed now for months..... but ... well ... that's ok. i was in such doubt when they decided on the move, but they did right. a-effing-mazing!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

2 spotted eagleray were born in burgers zoo. They were caught and put in a tank behind the scenes

KevinB likes this.
  12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. vogelcommando

Goura and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. vogelcommando

Goura and KevinB like this.
  15. vogelcommando

KevinB likes this.
  16. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to a video on the Burgers Zoo facebook page the zoo is busy with preparing the transport of an elderly Asian elephant from Sweden ( must be Kolmarden). The transport will be in the "near future", so no dates have been given yet.

17. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Saba (51) from Kolmarden moves to Burgers Zoo to old cow Pinky.;)

18. lintworm

Some notes from my visit yesterday:

- There are quite some young animals around, including a Forest reindeer, 4-5 Bighorn sheep, 1 Capybara, White-rumped shama, 2 Red-legged honeycreeper, 2 Chaco chacalaca, multiple Greater flamingo and many Robin chats and Red-eared bulbul. It also looked as if another Screaming piha has recently left the nest.
    - Wrinkled hornbill are not on show anymore, the Black hornbill live in their aviary now, which leaves the Satyr tragopan alone currently (Maybe the Red-billed blue magpie that was behind the scenes will move in there?).
    - A second Madagascar crested ibis has joined the single male from Zurich in the Bush
    - Golden-bellied mangabey were not visible. The Sun bear cubs are also still behind the scenes, but that is not surprising
    - In the Mangrove the Four-eyed fish are back, but the Red-eared slider and Fulvous whistling ducks are currently behind the scenes. The Slider was somewhat too interested in the Manatee calf.
    - For the first time in years the Chimpanzees were really active during one of my visits, there seem to be some struggles in the male hierarchy...
    - Water quality on the Mud flat in the Mangrove has increased significantly, with visibility being very high currently, so you can even see the Surgeonfish that have been released there.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2019
    korhoen and ShonenJake13 like this.
  19. lintworm

Other recent births include (at least) 4 Golden jackals and several Montserrat oriole.

KevinB likes this.
  20. lintworm

An update on the Cheetah kept in Burgers' Zoo:

Privacy settings

In the past years 15 cheetah were born, 1 cub has died since and 13 have since moved away to Tabernas, Kronberg, Neuwied, Dresden, Bussolengo, Warsaw, Colchester, Montpellier & Boissiere.

Both current breeding females are retired from breeding, but will be continue to be kept in Burgers'. The breeding male will move to another zoo and a new male will take his place. The remaining cub will become the new breeding female.

KevinB likes this.