Join our zoo community

Burgers' Zoo Burgers' Zoo 2020

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by lintworm, 2 Jan 2020.

1. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The only Madagascar Crested Ibis chick has just left the nest and with luck can be seen by visitors somewhere in the Bush. Other notable recent births include a Chaco Chacalaca, 10+ Crested Wood Partridge, multiple Painted Buntings, 3 Bighorn Sheep and a number of Greater Flamingo.

2. Haasje

Haasje Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Now also officially public, Ring-tailed cat have been born. The precise number is still not certain. But I saw a picture with at least 2 young.

Dustin1999 likes this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

At least one ringtail (Bassariscus astutus) has been born at Burgers' Zoo. Keepers have been hearing squeaks and rumbles in the ringtail nesting box for 54 days now, but now for the very first time a young has been seen on camera. As the keepers are being careful and leaving the animals in peace they do not yet know how many ringtails have been born. There are very few ringtails in European zoos so they are quite happy with the new arrivals.

Zootierliste lists only three European holders of ringtails (of which two in the UK) and says that Burgers' Zoo previously bred ringtails between 2002 and 2006.

4. lintworm

On their website they have just confirmed that 3 young were born.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7 Golden jackals born at Burger's :).

6. 16217

16217 Well-Known Member

Thats great to hear!
    Yesterday i managed to see the 3 young ringtails. Together with their mother, made 2 videos of them which will be linked under this post. They are already pretty big, but are not very good climbers yet.

I also managed to see the golden fronted leafbird twice! A first time for me and it took me only 13 visits to see her.

Burgers also placed 2 new signs inside the ocean, links will be listed to the gallery of burgers to see. Kinda annoyed by the fact that on 1 signage they put species from technically 1 tank but not every species can get to each other as the tank is split up. So the signage makes it look like everything is in there while in fact a lot of species are separated.

Baby ringtails PT 1

Baby ringtails PT 2

New Fish Signage Lagune Tank:
    New Fish Signage For The Lagune Tank - ZooChat

Mo Hassan, Antoine, Choco115 and 2 others like this.
  7. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Saw the youngsters today.

It does make me wonder, how often do they reproduce their, it seems like they always have young jackals. A true factory for em. which also makes me wonder what usually happens to the pups once they grow up, I doubt they can always rehome them...

Jungle Man likes this.
  8. 16217

16217 Well-Known Member

By checking ZTL info,

In 2018, Riga zoo got animals from burgers zoo,
    In 2018, Ashbourne got animals from burgers zoo

2 Zoos dont have specific information, but were only listed since 2018/2019:
    Rrushkull (Kopshti Zoologjik)
    Gabrovo (Zoo)

Might be missing stuff. But knowing the way burgers works, i don't think that any bad things are done to the pups. I also think that homes can be found at smaller nature zoos. They are not common in western europe (mostly kept in eastern europe). So I think smaller / medium sized nature zoos would be interested in them.

Pups from the latest years might still be bts in different zoos so not listed yet. This is speculation though and don't have facts for that.

Kifaru Bwana and Jungle Man like this.
  9. lintworm

Euthanasia of unplaceable animals does happen sometimes in Burgers' as well, but I don't know the specifics.

10. 16217

16217 Well-Known Member

I'm aware, pretty sure it is mentioned on their site as well that it happens. Moreso meant with "bad things" is keeping them in small exhibits bts or other stuff. Euthanasia isn't always a bad thing.

11. Choco115

Choco115 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Today I visited Burger’s zoo with very nice weather, it wasn’t that busy, less busy than Ouwehands zoo was when I visited that last week. Some notable stuff:
    - I couldn’t see any red kite in the vulture Aviary, they weren’t signed either.
    - you couldn’t enter the small Bird Aviary in the desert, probably because of corona.
    - I couldn’t see the otters in the bush, however I did see quite much birds there, some anoles and a flying fox. The caiman is still (temporary) in the rimba.
    - the common rock squirrels were gone from the desert, there now live a second group of cotton rats.

Dustin1999 and britishzoofan like this.
  12. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

- The red kites got send to another zoo I read in the Harpij.
    - The otters often hide in their enclosure.

Choco115 and Jungle Man like this.
  13. Haasje

Haasje Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yesterday evening two lion cubs were born in front of the public. At the moment they are behind the scenes and doing well.

Jungle Man likes this.
  14. lintworm

This enclosure now stands empty with a sign for refurbishments.

In the Pheasantry 1 Satyr Tragopan was recently born and I did not see any Superb or Orange-fronted Fruit Doves anymore, but there was a new pair of Green-winged Doves.

A total of 9 Greater Flamingo is successfully raised this year. In the Rimba the latest Hog Deer fawn is visible now as well.

In the Bush all paths are accessible again, with about half of them already being newly made. The paths are heated and they hope by this that especially in the colder months, heat is distributed better throughout the hall, as it did get somewhat cool sometimes.

15. vogelcommando

16. Choco115

Choco115 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

strange that the former rock squirrel enclosure is empty now! Thanks for the update! I did saw the satyr tragopan chicken as well, I also saw a dove in the pleasantry and I’m quite sure that was an orange-fronted. It wasn’t signed though

17. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

From what I have seen recently is that the sign for the orange-fronted fruit doves is at the education-offices at the moment.

However, as I said before, I feel like the whole pheasantry is being emptied out for something to come?

18. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Funny enough today I saw something else, today I got greeted by a rather large specimen of their cave cricket species (Phaeophilacris geertsi)! Will put a picture of it in the media segment of the site.

My bet is that they put it in to clean up the small remainders of food, but it could also be for other reasons.

[​IMG]

Choco115 likes this.
  19. vogelcommando

Dustin1999, Jungle Man and twilighter like this.
  20. lintworm

I saw an Orange-fronted Fruit Dove again yesterday mixed with the Scissor-billed Starlings, must have been hiding well on my last visit.

In the Bush the single male Brazilian Tanager has finally been joined by a female again.

Choco115 and Jungle Man like this.