Join our zoo community

Butterfly World St Albans

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tetrapod, 15 Dec 2015.

1. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

3. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sad, but this has had an air of inevitability about it for a while now.

Maybe if they'd got funding for the biome things may have worked out, but i'd never seen the place busy even during peak season!

4. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

I visited this place only once, not long after it opened. To be frank, there wasn't much there when I saw it, but it was obvious it had great potential. I saw the sites of, and plans for, the proposed biome(s), and thought what a marvellous place it would be when it was finished, and I made a mental note to revisit again when the biome(s) was/were open. Sadly that day never came, and, as we know now, the ambitious plans never materialized.

But I just don't get the figures. The report says that the original expectation was for Butterfly World to attract 600,000 visitors annually (which, of course, it never did). That's one hell of an estimate. But the owners even said that this was the minimum number expected, and they they hoped to attract up to one million visitors a year. Now I love butterflies as much as the next person, but one million visitors!!! For butterflies?!!! I doubt that butterflies exert such a pulling power.

The owners are quoted as saying they needed 50,000 visitors a month to break even. We're not talking apes or dolphins here. I had no idea that butterflies and moths were so expensive to maintain.