Join our zoo community

Butterflyfishes of the genus Chaetodon

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by vogelcommando, 16 Jul 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited today Zoo Antwerp - Belgium - and althrough there is a very nice Aquarium there, I only found 3 butterflyfish-species of the genus Chaetodon :
    - Saddle butterflyfish ( Chaetodon ephippium ) : one specimen seen in a smaller aquarium near the entrance of the Aquarium, kept together with some seahorses, razorblade-fishes and others.
    Most of the fishes were signed but from the Saddle butterflyfish there was no sign. Picture of this species can be found here : Saddle butterflyfish - Chaetodon ephippium | ZooChat .
    - Threadfin butterflyfish ( Chaetodon auriga ). Observed at least 3 specimens of this species in the large ( new ) coral-tank which they share with a huge number of other species among them 1 other Chaetodon-species. The species was signed. Picture of sign and living fish can be found here :Threadfin butterflyfish - Chaetodon auriga | ZooChat
    Sign Threadfin butterflyfish - Chaetodon auriga | ZooChat
    - Sunbrust butterflyfish ( Chaetodon kleinii ): living in the same tank as the Threadfin butterflyfishes and I saw 2 of them. There was no sign of this one to be found near the coral-tank. Photo of the 2 fishes seen can be found here :
    Sunburst butterflyfishes - Chaetodon kleinii | ZooChat
    - Black-wedged butterflyfish ( Chaetodon falcula ). Didn't see this species but there was a sign on the coral-tank. Spend quite some time searching it .... but failed, so I still don't know if it was there or if the sign should be removed. Photo of the sign : Sign Black-wedged butterflyfish - Chaetodon falcula | ZooChat

2. vogelcommando

Have to make a correction. By checking the photos I made on this visit I discovered on a picture I made of the complete Large Coralfish tank ( this photo : Large Coralfish Tank | ZooChat ) a Black-wedgde butterflyfish - Chaetodon falcula !!!
    So the sign was right and Antwerp is keeping this species ( enlarged piece of the above picture see : Black-wedged butterflyfish - Chaetodon falcula | ZooChat ).

3. vogelcommando

Visited both Burgers Zoo - Arnhem and Artis - Amsterdam Zoo ( Netherlands ) last week but both had only a few species of Chaetodon-butterflyfishes.
    At Burgers only the 2 most commonly kept Threadfin ( see sign Sign Threadfin butterflyfish - Chaetodon auriga | ZooChat and living specimen Treadfin butterflyfish - Chaetodon auriga | ZooChat ) and Raccoon butterflyfishes ( sign see Sign Raccon butterflyfish - Chaetodon lunula | ZooChat ) were seen but I found the sign of a 3th species - the Sun-burst butterflyfish ( see Chaetodon kleinii - Sun-burst butterflyfish | ZooChat ) but was unable to find the fish themself - but the aquarium it was signed at has a lot of hidding-places so its well possible that the species was there.
    A day later at Artis again only the 2 already seen species found :
    Threadfin butterflyfish ( see Threadfin butterflyfish - Chaetodon auriga with Cleaner wrasse | ZooChat )
    Raccoon butterflyfish ( see Raccoon butterflyfishes - Chaetodon lunula | ZooChat ).
    The number of Threadfins was however very large and single specimens were kept in at least 7 different aquariums !

4. vogelcommando

Paid today my regular visit to Coralandfishstore - fish-shop at Breda and found no less then 8 Chaetodon - butterflyfish-species and even better..... no less then 3 lifers for me !
    - Chaetodon declivis - Marquesas butterflyfish ( see Chaetodon declivis - Marquesas butterflyfish | ZooChat )
    - Chaetodon collare - Redtail butterflyfish ( see 20170219_132522 Chaetodon Collare - Red-tail Butterflyfish | ZooChat )
    - Chaetodon lunulatus - Oval butterflyfish - A Lifer for me ! ( see Chaetodon lunulatus - Oval butterflyfish | ZooChat )
    - Chaetodon vagabundus - Vagabond butterflyfish ( see Chaetodon vagabundus - Vagabond butterflyfish | ZooChat )
    - Chaetodon octofasciatus - Eightband butterflyfish - A Lifer for me ! ( see Chaetodon octofasciatus - Eightband butterflyfish | ZooChat )
    - Chaetodon auriga - Threadfin butterflyfish
    - Chaetodon baronessa - Eastern triangular butterflyfish ( see Chaetodon baronessa - Eastern triangular butterflyfish | ZooChat )
    - Chaetodon meyeri - Scawled or Meyer's butterflyfish - A Lifer for me ! ( see Chaetodon meyeri - Scawled or Meyer's butterflyfish | ZooChat ).

5. vogelcommando

By coincidence I may have found another Chaetodon - butterflyfish-species in the Gallery. By a random-search through all kind of galleries I came across a picture ( see P10903601 | ZooChat ) made by Zebraduiker in 2009 at the Adventure Aquarium in the USA.
    In the middle of the photo - a little to the rigth actualy - there is a black and white fish which could be a Banded butterflyfish ( Chaetodon striatus ) and on the left side of the picture there is a second one. These would be the first Banded butterflyfishes in the Gallery but because the photo is not clear enough I'm not 100 % sure.
    Therefor I want to ask anybody who has visited the Adventure Aquarium or is going to visit it, to inform me if this species is ( was ? ) really kept at this collection and if anybody has more clear photos of the fishes and eventually of the sign . Any help is appriciated !

6. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I visited in November of last year and these are the species I posted:
    I plan to visit again sometime this year and will look for this fish, and of course take a photo.

7. vogelcommando

Thank you very much jayids2 for trying to help !

jayjds2 likes this.
  8. vogelcommando

Yesterday another visit to Coralandfishstore in Breda - the Netherlands and yes.... again a lifer !
    In one of the aquariums a small butterflyfish was swimming which I couldn't recognize at first sight.
    At home I found out it was a Melon butterflyfish - Chaetodon trifasciatus !
    Last year I was looking for this species at Meereszentrum Fehmarn - Germany, the only public collection which should keep this species but was unsuccesfull.
    Sofar, there was only one photo of this species in the Gallery, made by Kakapo in Spain ( I guess also at an aquarium-shop ). I - of course - made also some pictures of the fish I saw yesterday and these can be found in the Netherlands - other Gallery like for example this one :
    Melon butterflyfish - Chaetodon trifasciatus | ZooChat

Last edited: 7 Mar 2017
    devilfish likes this.
  9. vogelcommando

Went today to Belgium to visit a collection I ad never visited before : the Brussels Aquarium. A nice, small collection with quite a number of ( very ) rarely seen species - however most of them being freshwater species. A small number of marine-species can be found in a small number of aquariums but these all looked very fine.
    From the butterflyfishes of the genus Chaetodon there was only the most commonly kept species ( at least in Europe ), the Threadfin butterflyfish ( Chaetodon auriga ), 1 animal was swimming around and also signed on the aquarium it was living in ( see Threadfin butterflyfish - Chaetodon auriga | ZooChat and Sign Threadfin butterflyfish - Chaetodon auriga | ZooChat ).

10. vogelcommando

On the same day I visited the Aquarium in Brussel, I also went to the Natural History Museum at Brussel and here I found a nice tropical salt-water aquarium and one of the fishes living in there was a Butterflyfish, to be exact a Black-wedge butterflyfish - Chaetodon falcula ( see Black-wedge butterflyfish - Chaetodon falcula | ZooChat ) !

11. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

vogelcommando likes this.
  12. vogelcommando

13. vogelcommando

Went today to Vlissingen ( the Netherlands ) andvisited Het Arsenaal. Had of course a special look-out for Butterflyfishes and found 2 species and the sign of a third species.
    - a single Raccoon butterflyfish ( Chaetodon lunula ) ( see Raccoon butterflyfish - Chaetodon lunula | ZooChat )
    for which there was no sign.
    - a single Sunburst butterflyfish ( Chaetodon kleinii ) ( see Sunburst butterflyfish - Chaetodon kleinii | ZooChat ), also without a sign.
    - and on one of the aquariums the was a sign of the Threadfin butterflyfish ( Chaetodon auriga ) ( see Sign Threadfin butterflyfish - Chaetodon auriga | ZooChat ) and althrough I checked the aquarium several times during several hours, I wasn't able to find it. Because also the signs of a lot of other species were wrong or missing, I'm quite sure this was here also the case and this species is not kept ( at the moment ) at Het Arsenaal.

14. vogelcommando

Yesterday I visited the Dutch town of Scheveningen and went to the SeaLife-centre. A nice collection with also a good selection of coral-fishes but.... not a single butterflyfish of the genus Chaetodon - at least I didn't found any :).
    Signage in public quariums is in many cases not very good / bad / very bad or simply wrong and this SeaLife was no exeption. A good number of species found in the tanks didn't have a sign, from other species signs of releated species were added on the aquariums and from other species there where signs but the fishes themselfs where not there !
    I did found for example a sign of the Three-banded butterflyfish ( Chaetodon humeralis ) ( see Sign Three-banded butterflyfish - Chaetodon humeralis | ZooChat ) and because this would have been a lifer for me and because Zootierliste doen't mention a single European collection keeping it, I spend some time in front of this aquarium ( and at the back-side because it was viewable from 2 sides ) but wasn't able to find it. Because the aquarium didn't have much hidding-places I'm quite sure the species isn't kept anymore at SeaLife Scheveningen.

15. vogelcommando

After a break of almost 30 years I visited Ouwehands dierenpark in the last 3 month 2 times and at the Aquarium I found both times 2 species of the genus Chaetodon :
    Chaetodon rafflesii - Lacticed butterfly fish - 2 specimens seen at 2 different aquariums ( photo see Lacticed butterflyfish - Chaetodon rafflesii | ZooChat )
    Chaetodon semilarvatus - Blue-cheeked butterflyfish - one specimen seen in the large coralfish-aquarium which it shared with one of the Lacticed butterflyfishes ( photo see Chaetodon semilarvatus - Blue-cheeked butterflyfish | ZooChat )

16. vogelcommando

On Facebook found the picture of a Philippine butterflyfish - Chaetodon adiergatos made by a well-known ZooChatter at the Port of Nagoya Aquarium in Japan. Because this species is still not represented in our Gallery I hope this ZooChatter will also upload this photo ( and maybe some more he made ? ) in the Gallery :) !

17. Moorish

Moorish Active Member

Visited Newport Aquarium last week, Raccoon butterflyfish (Chaetodon Lunula) can be found in the reef tunnel.

vogelcommando likes this.
  18. Moorish

Moorish Active Member

At Shedd Aquarium, foureye butterflyfish can be seen in the Caribbean reef tank.

19. vogelcommando

Visited today the Coralandfishstore at Breda - the Netherlands and no less then 11 (!) species of Chaetodon were offered for sale. Among them a little specimen which I was unable to identify. From the pictures I made and some "seafish-friends" I was later able to put a name on the species and once again a LIFER for me : a young specimen of Chaetodon xanthocephalus ( see Chaetodon xanthocephalus | ZooChat ). This is only the second photo of this species in our ZooChat-gallery.

20. vogelcommando

On Facebook I found the picture of a Teardrop butterflyfish ( Chaetodon unimaculatus ) made by a well-known ZooChatters which spend recently a few weeks in Japan. The picture was made at the Kamogawa Sea World and hopefully this ZooChatter will upload this ( and maybe even some more ) picture in our Gallery because sofar the only pictures of this species in our Gallery were made in the wild and this would then be the first of a zoo-specimen :) !