Join our zoo community

BXSea X-Mas Trip Review and Species List (25th December 2023)

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by Fargusno, 25 Dec 2023.

1. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

Species list of BXSea as of 25th of December 2023 with some review/words of mine added to it.

BXBirds:
    A small aviary located on BXChange 2's entrance, just after the long as heck tunnel that connects the mall with the Jurangmangu Station, where I came from after taking a train from Kebayoran Lama Station. Most of the vegetations there has been destroyed or torn apart by the resident psittaciforms. The exhibit looked pretty adequate, and not much birds has been added there, though lacking in signage which makes it a bit hard to identify, especially the lories
    - Salmon-crested cockatoo
    - Blue-and-yellow macaw
    - Yellow-crowned parrot
    - Galah
    - Golden Pheasant
    - Unknown lories

Sea Wave:
    The first exhibit of BXSea, located on the left side of the entrance, tucked on a wall. It houses several small reef fishes as a little introduction to marine fishes.
    - Banggai Cardinalfish
    - Powder Blue Tang (not on exhibit yet)
    - Four Striped Damselfish
    - Blue Tang

Hide & Seek Octopus:
    A circular tank with red lighting housing a lone GPO. Sadly it was too small for it and it had limited movement area for it.
    - Giant Pacific Octopus

Hide & Seek Reef:
    A rectangular reef tank housing mixed reef fishes.
    - Clown Anemonefish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Clarkii Clownfish
    - Four Striped Damselfish
    - Moorish Idol
    - Tomato Clownfish (unsigned)
    - Blue Tang (unsigned)
    - Bicolor Parrotfish (unsigned)
    - Koran Angelfish (unsigned)

Hide & Seek Lobster:
    A neighboring tank near the reef tank, housing several lobsters and soon, some cuttlefish. IDK if mixing the 2 is a good idea
    - Cuttlefish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Painted Spiny Lobster
    - Crown-of-thorns Starfish (unsigned and phased out, seen in some Instagram and YouTube videos)

Hide & Seek Angelfish:
    A vertical tank housing assorted chaetodontids and pomacanthids
    - Copperband Butterflyfish
    - Saddleback Butterflyfish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Moorish Idol
    - Eightband Butterflyfish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Threeband pennantfish
    - Annularis Angelfish (unsigned)
    - Sergeant Major (unsigned)

Hide & Seek Large Fish:
    A tank housing larger reef fishes, mostly surgeons and wrasses
    - Chocolate surgeonfish
    - Kole tang (not on exhibit yet)
    - Blackin Slatey
    - Orangespot Surgeonfish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Pacific orange-spine unicornfish
    - Oriental Sweetlips
    - Harlequin Sweetlips
    - Humpback Grouper (unsigned)
    - Humphead Wrasse (unsigned)

Hide & Seek Deep Sea:
    A reef tank that oddly enough, houses some deep-water fishes that might have been intended to be tankmates for the spider crabs
    - Longspine Snipefish
    - Japanese Pineconefish (presumably cancelled to be exhibited here, previously seen in the signage on YouTube videos)

Hide & Seek Moray Eel:
    A tank with lots of urns where moray eels hide. Sadly they were pretty shy when I came there.
    - Laced Moray (hiding)
    - Giant Moray

Hide & Seek Razorfish:
    A tank that houses several razorfishes. Didn't see much there since it was pretty crowded around the Hide & Seek area.
    - Jointed razorfish

Seahorse Empire:
    Four block-shaped tanks housing four different seahorse species, a first in Indonesian aquarias since SeaWorld Ancol only exhibited Kuda seahorses and Jakarta Aquarium only exhibited Tigertail seahorses. At the time, only one species is seen there.
    - Tigertail seahorse (not on exhibit yet)
    - Barbour's seahorse (not on exhibit yet)
    - Big-belly seahorse (not on exhibit yet)
    - Kuda seahorse

Ray touch pool:
    An open-top tank with an ancient ruins theme housing several ray species and a lone blacktip reef shark. Visitors can touch the cownose rays when they surface.
    - Kuhl's maskray( not on exhibit yet)
    - Cowtail stingray (not on exhibit yet)
    - Bluespotted ribbontail ray
    - Cownose ray
    - Pink whipray (unsigned)
    - White spotted wedgefish (unsigned)
    - Blacktip reef shark (unsigned)
    - Sergeant major (unsigned)

Venomous fish:
    A rectangular tank across the ray exhibit. Didn't see much since it was pretty crowded today.
    - Volitan lionfish
    - Clearfin lionfish
    - Stonefish (not on exhibit yet)

Garden Eel:
    Another rectangular tank with seagrasses and oddly enough, SpongeBob aquarium decors. Just what the heck..
    - Sported garden eel

Schooling Fish:
    A ring-shaped tank similar to the one in Monterey Bay tank. And why milkfishes? Can't they get scads instead?
    - Milkfish

Raja Ampat shark:
    Another open-top tank where visitors could see and touch some smaller sharks. All sharks here are unsigned, oddly.
    - Blacktip reef shark
    - Gray bamboo shark
    - Coral catshark

Terrariums:
    Several terrariums on the walls around the Rainforest trail, circling the Arapaima tank.
    - Green tree python
    - White-lipped pit viper
    - Matamata
    - Crocodile newt (hiding)
    - Green iguana (blue morph, could have been a Grand Cayman blue iguana)
    - Golden tree frog
    - Pearl tree frog
    - Green flying frog (not on exhibit yet)
    - Stick insect
    - Leaf insect
    - Goliath birdeater (hiding)
    - Forsteni tortoise
    - Tiger salamander

Cichlid tank:
    One of my fav tanks here, being a cichlid fanatic and all. And it was feeding time when I came here. All cichlids here are unsigned and grouped under "Cichlid sp" on the signage. Lazy much?
    - Nimbochromis venustus
    - Pseudotropheus demasoni
    - Maylandia lombardoi
    - Aulonocara jacobfrebergi
    - Aulonocara OB
    - Snow white socolofi
    - Pundamilla nyererei
    - Red zebra cichlid

Characin tank:
    A tank housing two characin species and a cyprinid.
    - Banded aracu
    - Flagtail prochilodus
    - Balashark

Predatory fish tank:
    A tank displaying several predator fishes commonly seen on tanks of YouTubers and influencers. I remember seeing a sturgeon on the map, but why it's not exhibited here yet?
    - Piraputanga
    - Florida gar
    - Finescale tigerfish
    - Albino pearl stingray (not on exhibit yet, better be replaced by Amur sturgeon or Sterlet)
    - Black diamond stingray (not on exhibit yet)

Mangrove tank:
    This tank previously housed several Hawksbill and Green sea turtles, but they got phased out real soon, presumably because of how shallow the tank is. Good work, BXSea! The turtles can be saved for the ocean tunnel or the 2-storey Raja Ampat tank, and this tank could use some archerfish, scats, gobies, sergeant majors and mud crabs in the future.
    - Mangrove horseshoe crab

False gharial tank:
    A tank intended for coconut crabs, previously housing a juvenile false gharial seen on YouTube videos. Thank God they phased it out since they can get real big and the exhibit is inadequate for one. Hoping they'll replace it with dwarf caimans, or just get some coconut crabs after draining the water there.

Otter exhibit:
    An otter exhibit with a tunnel for the otters to slide in, like in Japanese zoos and aquarias. Not as big as the one in JAQS.
    - Asian small-clawed otter

Touch pools:
    Two touch pools: one saltwater and one freshwater. The saltwater one houses echinoderms and horseshoe crabs and the freshwater ones houses kois. The touch pool is too deep and I barely reach anything without wetting my shirt's sleeve! And oh, no fish food for the visitors to feed the kois with :(
    - Blue sea star
    - Choco chip star
    - Sea cucumber
    - Mangrove horseshoe crab
    - Koi carp

King of River:
    The huge freshwater tank with a waterfall that roars through the rainforest area and a bridge for the zookeepers to feed the inhabitants. It's pretty spacious and not as shallow as I expected, just a bit understocked at the moment.
    - Pirarucu
    - Tambaqui
    - Alligator gar
    - Longnose gar (not on exhibit yet)
    - Giant gourami (not on exhibit yet)
    - Goliath tigerfish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Peacock bass (not on exhibit yet)
    - Redtail catfish (hiding)
    - Tiger shovelnose catfish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Albino pangasius (not on exhibit yet, best replaced with paroon sharks or piraiba)

Piranhas:
    A cylindrical tank located near the arapaima tank. Housing piranha fingerlings and a rather creepy capybara skeleton replica.
    - Redbelly piranha

Jellyfish:
    A series of cylindrical jellyfish tanks, housing several jellyfish species.
    - Moon jelly
    - Spotted jelly
    - Upside-down jelly
    - Sea nettle
    - Flame jelly (not on exhibit yet)

Raja Ampat:
    The two-storey tank and one of the oceanarium's main exhibits. Housing lots and lots of reef fishes, small and medium. No big fishes here yet though!
    - Clown tang
    - Blue tang
    - Moorish idol
    - Convict tang
    - Emperor angelfish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Yellow tang (not on exhibit yet)
    - Humphead wrasse (not on exhibit yet)
    - Bicolor parrotfish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Powder brown tang (not on exhibit yet)
    - Sergeant major
    - Redbelly yellowtail fusilier
    - Double whiptail bream (unsigned)
    - Spanish flag snapper (unsigned)
    - Spotted unicornfish (unsigned)
    - Emperor red snapper (unsigned)
    - Harlequin sweetlips (unsigned)
    - Double lined fusilier (unsigned)
    - Spanish flag snapper (unsigned)
    - Brownstripe snapper (unsigned)
    - Onespot seaperch (unsigned)
    - Orangespot unicornfish (unsigned)

Ocean Tunnel:
    Ah yes... the crown jewel of this oceanarium. It wasn't as empty as during its first days of soft opening, and many fishes has been added there. It will house lots and lots of large and rare sharks and rays in the near future!
    - Scalloped hammerhead shark (not on exhibit yet)
    - Blacktip reef shark (unsigned)
    - Tawny nurse shark (added recently as seen on JB Hunt Aquatic's Instagram story)
    - Sand tiger shark (unsigned and not on exhibit yet)
    - Wobbegong (not on exhibit yet)
    - White spotted wedgefish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Shark ray (not on exhibit yet)
    - Narrow sawfish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Wide sawfish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Spinetail mobula (unsigned and not on exhibit yet)
    - Jenkins whipray (not on exhibit yet)
    - Blotched fantail ray (not on exhibit yet)
    - Cowtail stingray (added recently as seen on JB Hunt Aquatic's Instagram story)
    - Spotted eagle ray (not on exhibit yet)
    - Leopard whipray (not on exhibit yet)
    - Snubnose dart
    - Mangrove jack (unsigned)
    - Indian threadfish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Golden trevally (unsigned)
    - Bigeye trevally (unsigned)
    - Giant grouper
    - Yellowfin grouper (not on exhibit yet)
    - Sabah grouper (unsigned, could be replaced by Malabar or Potato grouper)
    - Shortnose unicornfish (not on exhibit yet)
    - Humphead wrasse (not on exhibit yet)
    - Cleaner wrasse (not on exhibit yet)

African Penguins:
    The last exhibit before the exit. Hope that the penguins arrive as the same time as the sand tiger sharks, both being from Africa.
    - African penguin (not on exhibit yet)

Verdict:
    BXSea blew me out of the water compared to JAQS and SeaWorld Ancol, and its distance from my house to there is pretty close thanks to the Greater Jakarta Commuter rail, which allows me to travel there faster and with less cost. I can say that I can kiss JAQS and SeaWorld Ancol good-bye, now that BXSea has enticed me with larger exhibits and rarer fish species. But I can always visit those two whenever I feel nostalgic or missing some of the animals that are not on BXSea. I hope that BXSea amazes me with the sand tiger sharks, hammerheads, mobulas and sawfishes in the future, and I put my trust on PT Pembangunan Jaya to not screw up this oceanarium, since as of recently SeaWorld Ancol (another aquarium under their management) just went on their "redemption arc" by adding new fishes and faunas like giant shovelnose ray and red king crab, since they cut corners during the pandemic by adding cheap and undesirable fishes like common aquarium fishes and offended me and my 2 fellow ZooChatters (Caribbean Flamingo and Salt Merchant) with the addition of Glofish.

And one last word, don't add too much mutant/man-made hybrids in the oceanarium, or make stupid decisions like what JAQS did as of recently. Replace them with rarer faunas while you can, and think wisely!

2. Fargusno

Photos from the trip will be added soon.

3. Mossman Joe

Mossman Joe Well-Known Member

From the sound of it, it does look like a very nice place to visit, I'll have to go there next I visit the area.

I can't say much about the aquarium sections, but the terrarium area looks okay, especially loving the choice to use smaller and unique fauna such as the golden tree frogs, the pearl tree frogs as well as the snakes.

I agree with the odd choice to use blue iguanas, though somewhat thankful they didn't use yellow/albinos which border on being unethical. Aside from Grand Caymans they could have used Emerald Monitors, Macraei monitors which would have a similar color and is native to Indonesia.

4. Fargusno

I look to the day the blue iguana outsizes its exhibit and gets phased out, then replaced with suitable native lizards like tree monitors or skinks

BXSea phasing out their sea turtles and false gharials are already good moves, since they'll outsize their exhibit one day

Mossman Joe likes this.
  5. Caribbean Flamingo

Caribbean Flamingo Well-Known Member

well, there are some things that bx sea should fixed:
    - phasing-out the sabah grouper at the ocean tunnel and replaced it with slender groupers.
    - adding yellowfin surgeonfishes to the ocean tunnel.
    - adding laced morays, sailfin snappers, or angelfishes to raja ampat exhibit.
    - phasing-out the gpo and replaced it with common octopus cause the gpo might grows larger and won't fit in that small exhibit again.
    - phasing-out the japanese spider crabs and replaced it with southern rock losbter, old wife, and ornate cowfish.
    - phasing-out the green iguana (which has blue morph) and replaced it with madagascar day gecko.
    - cancelling the plan to acquire albino iridescent shark in the king of river exhibit and replacing it with grass carp.
    - moving the finescale tigerfish from the predatory fish tank to the king of river exhibit and replaced it with humphead cichlid.

Fargusno likes this.
  6. Fargusno

UPDATE:
    - The Fahaka puffer is in the piraputanga tank, albeit unsigned
    - JBHunt Aquatic added in a Honeycomb stingray into the Ocean Tunnel exhibit, and they shown a pair of wobbegongs on their Instagram account. It is unknown if they will be added into the exhibit or not. Before BXSea's opening, they posted hammerheads twice, with no confirmation about their addition to BXSea.
    - Maylandia lombardoi is actually Labidochromis caeruleus.