Join our zoo community

Calgary Zoo Calgary Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Zoofan15, 11 Jan 2021.

Tags:
  1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Calgary zoo is now home to Malaysian Tapir, Tanuck, newly arrived from Parc Safari. He did previously live at the zoo from Oct 2002 to Jun 2003 before heading off to Toronto. He's not on display just yet.

Perhaps more important news is that they have finally broken ground on the Wildlife Conservation Centre where they will continue their off site breeding of critically endangered species and run their head start programs. There is a nice video showing the land and explaining the work they will do on their Facebook page.

2. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Where will the tapir be housed?

3. TZFan

@nczoofan, Tanuck is to take up residence in the former panda habitat. I don't know if its all if it or just a portion though.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. nczoofan

An interesting replacement. I remember orangutans were originally planned for the space, although I can imagine moneys tight and therefore probably not a priority, especially given the expedited timeline on which the pandas left.

If the space is only for tapir I hope they can acquire some more and help with the SSP which needs to place a bunch of younger individuals soon.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  5. nczoofan

The zoos facebook post says "Tanuck is currently settling into his new home in Gateway to Asia (formerly Panda Passage), and he'll be just one of the residents — new and old — to call this space home." Which makes me think that a second species will eventually move in. The zoo on facebook though commented orangutan are no longer in the plans, so I wonder what will come as well.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  6. TZFan

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a feeling gibbons could be in the mix as well.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. TZFan

@StoppableSan, while gibbons would make an ideal mix their statement said new and old friends would be there. The zoo has had gibbons before so potentially that could exclude them if they were referring to animals on the species level. However they could have meant individual animals so as long as they brought in gibbons who had never been at the zoo before that would also make them new. Hard to say what they might do since tapirs were never part of the plan the zoo had previously revealed. Anything is game! A gibbon and tapir mixed exhibit would be good. They have a real opportunity here to do a lot of cool things and Calgary can pull off it off.

The zoo is readying for Alberta's Stage 3 opening. More of the zoo and its services will be available.

Calgary Zoo readies for wild summer as part of Stage 3 reopening

Last edited: 30 Jun 2021
    Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Calgary Zoo last had polar bears in 2004, but there has been an announcement today in regards to a "project redeveloping the Canadian Wilds that will deepen our focus on Canadian Arctic species, including a new space for polar bears..."

Exciting news!

StoppableSan, nczoofan and zoomaniac like this.
  10. TZFan

11. TZFan

More info on the new polar bear exhibit. The exhibit will be able to house up to 4 adult bears and should open by 2023. They are going to have a busy summer this year and next to get a state of the art polar bear facility open by then. The video in the link below does show a few short clips of the concept art for it. Looks like it will be a stunning exhibit.

Polar bears coming to Calgary Zoo thanks to $15.5M Canadian Wilds expansion

12. TZFan

Tragic news now. Bactrian camel, Eva, died while giving birth to a female calf this week. Apparently the calf was positioned wrong and Eva ruptured a major blood vessel trying to deliver. She bled out quickly.

Calgary Zoo camel dies while giving birth | Calgary Herald

Good news for Penguin Plunge. 4 new Northern rockhoppers have arrived. Males Tommy Lee and Axel from Moody Gardens and 2 unnamed females from Montreal Biodome.

As well gentoo penguins, Giselle and Lochlan, welcomed a chick June 19th.

Masks are no longer required indoors at the zoo.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2021
  13. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

You're correct! Calgary Zoo announced this morning that a pair of White-handed Gibbons (brothers 'Majimel' and 'Maximus') will be added to Gateway to Asia. They came from Safari Niagra.

14. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Wow! Calgary is really getting work done and quickly filling in those gaps. It's great to see they are adding species in. I do wonder if they will co-exist with Tanuck?

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. TZFan

snowleopard and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  16. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Really looks like a fun bunch, and I hope they all get mixed, I can’t imagine Tanuck Climbing those ropes above him. lol.

nczoofan likes this.
  17. TZFan

@Akula, you cant imagine Tanuck swinging around the ropes by his nose? I totally can. Guess my mind is just more imaginative because the image is hilarious. Lol.

In reality though the climbing structure could be there though so his space could be opened to the gibbons if its Tanuck's day to be outside just like he could probably go in their enclosure if they are outside. Kinda wish they had shown the outdoor habitat so we could see how it was set up.

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. nczoofan

Tapirs mix well with gibbon at the Bronx Zoo for 40 years and Point Defiance as well, so they very well could be mixing them. Introductions will take a while though.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. TZFan

@nczoofan, absolutely. They are species recommended to be mixed together. Calgary does well with its mixed species exhibits so I have little doubt they will at least attempt the mix. The idea of rotation is probably their worst case scenario.

20. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'll probably stop by at some point within the next week to grab some more photos of the new exhibit complex. I haven't looked at anything published online so far, I want to keep a surprise for when I go in person!

Zorro likes this.