Join our zoo community

Calgary Zoo Calgary Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Zoofan15, 11 Jan 2021.

Tags:
  1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Hyak_II have fun when you go. If you don't mind could you take some exhibit shots for us? I would really love to see what they did since Calgary seems to build a lot of beautiful exhibits.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. TZFan

I've been bored since finishing the family trees for Toronto. Is there any interest in something similar for Calgary? The only species I currently have much in depth knowledge of there is the gorillas... no wait I also think I have a bit of a base with the Amur tigers too. I cant promise my interest will hold out to the same extend as Toronto but if there is enough interest for me to dig in I'm agreeable to it right now. Since I have zero clue whats been held there other than whats currently there. I'd need more help with species and requests. If there's not the interest its fine. Just wanted to put out the offer.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

4. TZFan

Ouch poor thing. Sometime you need to learn a valuable lesson about what should and should not be food. Porcupine = ouchy. At least she is a captive tiger. If she was a wild tigeress with cubs under foot, all of them would have been at risk with that many quills in her paw. Instead she got immediate medical attention, antibiotics, pain killers and much easier to catch meals delivered right to her.

StoppableSan and nczoofan like this.
  5. TZFan

6. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Was he supposed to be their breeding male?

7. TZFan

@Akula, yes he was slated to be their breeding male and the whole group is extremely valuable so they were to crank out at least 6 babies over the next year or two if possible as the girls were older.

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Male hamerkop Homer has arrived at Calgary from the Toronto Zoo. He arrived to breed with their current female, Stella, as per SSP recommendations.

Zorro likes this.
  9. TZFan

Noooo!!! Not Homer!!! I love Homer!!! Couldn't we have given them Hector who I have no emotional bond to? Well at least our friendly boy Homer has moved to a great home with a mate finally. He is a great nest builder so Stella will have a great place to lay their eggs.

10. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

The pair in Toronto has been seen mating just don't know there names, but I guess it can't be homer since he has gone to another great Zoo and hopefully he does his job there. Good Luck Homer!

11. TZFan

Huge change in policy for Calgary. As of Sep 20th (today) the zoo will require all guests 12 and over to provide proof of vaccination or a negative covid test no longer than 72 hours old or proof a medical exemption in order to enter. Single shot guest will be allowed until Oct 25th thereafter you need two doses, the negative test or exemption. Masks will be required for all guests over 2 unless medically exempt. I doubt it will be long before the other big zoos follow suit.

Calgary Zoo to require proof of vaccination or negative COVID-19 test

snowleopard likes this.
  12. TZFan

The zoo will close at 1pm on October 5th for a staff and volunteer celebration. Glad they are celebrating those who have worked so hard to keep the zoo afloat in a very troubled time.

Any guests who had booked for that day can change their reservation if they wish by emailing [email protected] or via phone at 403-232-9300, just incase anyone on here needs to change things.

The zoo is hosting a murder mystery on October 22nd called ZooDunnit: A Murder Mystery! Here is the description:

"A famous zoologist has been murdered at a zoo fundraiser and we need YOU to crack the case! While your team of detectives enjoys food & drinks at three different venues inside the zoo, you'll also have a chance to interact with a cast of shady characters to gather clues. By the end of the night, you'll know everything you need to solve the mystery. Dinner — and justice — will be served!"

Sounds like a weird and wild night. Whoever has been in charge of these things this year has been on the ball. Hopefully its a good little revenue generator.

ZooDunnit (Adults Only 18+) | Calgary Zoo

The gentoo penguin chick is a male and has been named by members, Mac.

The Siberian musk deer is back on display after being off during the dino restoration project for several months.

The Himalayan monals are off display until further notice while the new pallas cat exhibit is built.

Construction is well underway for the new river otter habitat and its expected to open next year.

All 13 of this years Vancouver Island Marmot pups have been move to the pre release site on Mount Washington.

The mountain goat kid born this summer is a female and will get her name soon.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2021
    Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  13. TZFan

The zoo is phasing out their southern rockhopper penguins. They only have two so not a big deal. They will be transferred out in the coming months.

14. TZFan

15. TZFan

Female king penguin, Antoinette, passed away at age 29. Her vision had been an issue over the last year and despite surgery and other efforts she didnt improve. She began being ostracized from the group and wasn't enjoying life at all so the difficult decision was made to let her go. Thankfully her genetics lives on through her and mate Louis's only offspring, Napoleon.

Farewell to Antoinette | Calgary Zoo

Also in sad news rock hyrax, Olympia, also passed away thanks to cancer and old age. She was 13 making her one very old hyrax.

Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend | Calgary Zoo

The zoo has taken in an orphaned female porcupine named Nettles.

Say hello to "Nettles" | Calgary Zoo

The zoo's mountain goat kid has been named Suncup.

Introducing "Suncup" | Calgary Zoo

Check out the zoos facebook page to see an update on the new breeding center. A lot of groundwork has been done and they have a huge barns shell constructed. If things hold up that spring 2022 opening might be realistic. They are on fire with their work.

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. TZFan

As we all suspected the Malaysian tapir and the white handed gibbons are now roomies. They seem to be getting along just fine. Tapir, Tanuck, could careless while the gibbon boys try to figure out their new friend.

Japanese serow, Yakimo, passed away last month at just a year old. She had a sudden and rapid decline. They suspect it was bacterial meningitis and liver infection.

nczoofan and DelacoursLangur like this.
  17. TZFan

An Amur tiger swap is afoot. Calgary's male Youri is being swapped for Winnipeg's Samkha so that he can breed with Sarma. Sounds great until I tell you they are cousins then it becomes kinda kicky. At least Youri was a half cousin once removed. They are full cousins. Sadly kinda hope this is another breeding bust and the SSP will be forced to stop letting Canada inbreed.

Calgary Zoo says goodbye to 1 male tiger, hello to another

nczoofan and StoppableSan like this.
  18. TZFan

Gorilla, Dossi, is pregnant with her first baby in late April or early May. Hopefully this baby thrives after Yewande's loss.

IndianRhino and Antoine like this.
  19. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wonderful news! Considering Dossi has had breeding reccomendations with two different males over the past few years, I was beginning to worry she might not be able to conceive, but that worry has now been put to rest.

Now to wait and cross our fingers that Yewande gets pregnant again in the near future as well, two baby gorillas at the same time would be simply wonderful for calgary, and their troop as a whole!

IndianRhino likes this.
  20. TZFan

@Hyak_II would be great if Yewande followed soon after. They might just wait though until they know all is well with Dossi and baby first. Then go back to Yewande, keeping Kioja in reserve as possible surrogate should one of the first time moms balk at raising their baby. If all goes well Kioja could add a 3rd baby fairly soon after Yewande. The real question is will they go for Zuri. Given her less than stellar track record as a mom one has to wonder will they roll the dice a 3rd time and hope she's a more involved mother this time. Under a new silverback where they all seem more comfortable maybe you do because Zuri is an extremely valuable female. Should all the Calgary girls be busy raising their own baby when Zuri rejects it, Toronto has Johari doing absolutely nothing with strong maternal instincts and Nneka who while still young could act as a surrogate if needed, assuming Ngozi isn't busy with her 4th. Now would be a good time to try Zuri with 4 potential surrogates available in Canada if you wait on Kioja. In a few years there may not be that many options.

IndianRhino likes this.