Join our zoo community

Camera Trap Footage

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Steefo, 21 Feb 2012.

1. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Yes, they are certainly a good size!

2. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

I have been trying to get some footage like this for a while and finally managed to get it. Here's a short clip of a fox during the day on my HD camera trap.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  3. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

What a wonderful footage! I totally need to get the same camera trap, the quality is amazing!

4. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Thanks Stefka,

This is the best footage I have managed to get so far. I was really happy as I had only had night time shots before.

5. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

I set my camera trap up at the entrance of a local badger sett and got some nice footage of some very itchy badgers carrying out some spring cleaning. Hope you like the footage.

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It might be worth setting up a camera trap in the garden belonging to my girlfriend's parents - their new house is on the Pennine Way in the depths of Northumberland, on the edges of Kielder Forest, and we've already spotted badgers, otters and foxes! Considering the location, maybe we might strike lucky one day and get pine martens ;)

7. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

They´re adorable!!! Oooh.. gotta watch it again..;)

8. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

You never know Dave, the camera traps are great for finding wildlife that you didn't know were in the area.

Glad you liked the footage Stefka

9. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

OK - I've narrowed it down to one of the Bushnells options - but anyone have any views of the best options? It's not always a case of buying the more expensive one to get the best sometimes other units in their portfolio? what do you think?

10. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Hi Karoocheetah, I currently own the 2010 model (119455C) and the 2011 model (119466C). For me there was certainly a step up in quality with the addition of HD videos during the day whilst pictures and night videos are the same.

Some models will be very similar but have maybe a color viewer on them. This is very useful to check that you are aiming the camera in the right direction (you dont want it just getting the top of the head or just feet). That said I got a color viewer for my first model but with the second I didn't and just line up my mobile phone in front of the camera and take a picture which has proven accurate.

Another thing to mention is that I believe the new 2012 bushnell models will be coming out soon so it might be worthwhile holding off til then as the older models might become cheaper and also I like to check some reviews of the cameras first to see if there are any bugs.

Here's a list of some websites that might prove helpful.

Bushnell trophy cam videos
    This website is where people with bushnell cameras can post their videos. You can check the quality of each different camera model on here.

Wildlife Kate

I have seen reviews on this website of the different models as well.

Finally this is a hunting website that reviews a lot of the different models and has been good for getting advice.

Bushnell forum

Personally I have been really happy with my 119466C model and apart from increasing the trigger speed of the camera can't really see what the other models will have that can better it at the moment. There is talk that the 2012 models will have new features but in terms of video quality I think they will be quite similar.

Sorry this is so long but I hope it helps.

11. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

cheers Steefo - I will check out the reviews and let you know what I go for!

12. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

No problems, I look forward to hearing what you get. Also in terms of prices, I'm not sure if I have mentioned this already but I have always bought my cameras from ebay from sellers in the US as they are much cheaper than buying from the Uk even when you include customs charges and delivery. It's worth looking into as I often saved around £100 each time.

13. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

I've been working in Canada recently and took my camera trap with me. Whilst here I've managed to get some nice lynx footage and even some with lynx kittens. I hope you like the footage.

14. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

I did not look at the footage yet (using phone now) but dude, I am sure that it is pretty awesome nonetheless based on stuff you posted before. Keep the vids coming.

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Another nice vid! :)

Incidentally out of scientific interest: why did you focus the C.T. on the road?
    Any particular reason for that?

16. callorhinus

callorhinus Well-Known Member

Different animals often use roads, it's convenient not only for humans :)
    When automatic/unmanned camera has large depth of field, it is good decision to focus it on the center of frame.

2Steefo: thanks for great videos! Do you use motion detection or just set your cameras to work always?

Last edited: 22 Sep 2012
  17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@callorhinus, I was well aware of that. Perhaps I should have phrased my question more specifically and state "why in this particular place and line of focus (was there any prior evidence like spoor, dung or scrappings (more like)?

18. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Hi Kifaru,

Yes I should have mentioned that I have been volunteering on a grizzly bear project here and there had been numerous other camera traps placed mainly on trails. Personally I placed this one here because there had been a good tree which was far enough off the trail so the camera could be hidden quite well as there is a lot of ATV use in the area. I wasn't aiming to get lynx and just got lucky. With the videos where there is a puddle in front we had previously had a camera which had taken some nice pictures of different species so I had purposefully placed the camera there.

19. Steefo

Steefo Well-Known Member

Hi Callorhinus, I used motion detection cameras to get this footage. I used a bushnell trophy camera which automatically triggers when it detects motion. I hope this helps.

20. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Those lynx cubs were so cute!

I love the shot of the adult lynx though: though look so out of proportion - almost like a cartoon!

Keep the videos coming.